A&P perks

Tyler Mitchem

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tyler
i am in college to get my a&p license and major in aviation and aerospace technology. what are the perks of having this license and owning a plane? for example would i be able to do my own annuals, overhauls etc?

Getting an A&P was one of the best things I ever did. I got mine in college, years ago. Not only did it provide me a career that has exceeded my expectations, but it has allowed me to more easily afford aircraft ownership. You will be able to do most of your own work. You will need to get your IA to do annuals. There are clear regulations on this and what you need to do to get your IA. You will likely start your career working under someone with an IA, so that will not be a big issue. It is not bad to have the second set of eyes on your work anyway, at least until you have more experience.

A second set of eyes is almost always a good idea, that's what airlines are required when maintenance is performed on systems that could affect safe operation of the aircraft, and sometimes, infrequently, mistakes still happen.

i am in college to get my a&p license and major in aviation and aerospace technology. what are the perks of having this license and owning a plane? for example would i be able to do my own annuals, overhauls etc?
As long as you stick with an "Experimental" you won't need an IA for the annual "condition" inspection.

If he builds the aircraft, he likely won't even need an A&P for the condition inspection.

Don't they teach priveleges and limitations in A&P school anymore?

He said he's getting his A&P, so that's what I focused on.

Yeah but point is if he builds an E-AB then there's potentially no need to get an A&P if that's all he wants it for, as he could apply for the repairman's certificate. Now if he were to buy an already flying E-AB then having his A&P would be helpful as he could sign off on his own condition inspections which nonbuilder owners that aren't A&Ps can't do.

Yeah but point is if he builds an E-AB then there's potentially no need to get an A&P if that's all he wants it for, as he could apply for the repairman's certificate. Now if he were to buy an already flying E-AB then having his A&P would be helpful as he could sign off on his own condition inspections which nonbuilder owners that aren't A&Ps can't do.
He's already getting his A&P.

He's already getting his A&P.

I got that -- my and Ron's point is being an A&P is not necessarily that much of a benefit if you build as you can potentially exercise all of the same privileges as an A&P without being one. It would be a benefit if he bought an already flying E-AB aircraft.

I got that -- my and Ron's point is being an A&P is not necessarily that much of a benefit if you build as you can potentially exercise all of the same privileges as an A&P without being one. It would be a benefit if he bought an already flying E-AB aircraft.
Even so....if he buys an EAB he can still do the maintenance.

Even so....if he buys an EAB he can still do the maintenance.

Absolutely, but so can anyone as that is not a privilege unique to A&Ps for E-AB aircraft. The benefit he gets being an A&P when buying an already flying E-AB is being able to sign off on the condition inspection.

We get it, you're an advocate for experimental. But that doesn't answer the original question. Perhaps the OP has zero interest in building. Perhaps the OP needs something larger than 90% of the experimentals out there. I completed the first part of the A&P course and never once (nor even now) considered building.

But going back to the original question....I know the A&P can do all work (other than repairing avionics) but can an IA sign off on their personal airplane?

We get it, you're an advocate for experimental. But that doesn't answer the original question. Perhaps the OP has zero interest in building. Perhaps the OP needs something larger than 90% of the experimentals out there. I completed the first part of the A&P course and never once (nor even now) considered building.

But going back to the original question....I know the A&P can do all work (other than repairing avionics) but can an IA sign off on their personal airplane?

Yes

Personally maintenance in general is kinda boring, major alterations and major repairs are interesting.

I probably should have done a lot different career path instead of A&P like some sort of engineering/administration degree and work in an ODA (Organized Delegated Authority) and probably ultimately an ACO (Aircraft Certification Office) . I wasn't much of the paper pusher when younger so it didn't seem interesting at the time.

Last edited:

Sheesh--I wasn't the one who brought up E-ABs as a perk in the first place--all l did was add clarity to the post by the guy who did.

Back