Faro headset vs Halo headset

BrianNC

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
BrianATL
Does anybody have any experience with the Faro headset that is basically like the Halo? I would like a Halo, but they're always sold out. The Faro is pretty similar, and actually looks a little better built, and It's only $30 more than the Halo. So for $30 more I could have one now.

I've basically written off the Clarity Aloft due to many complaints about it 'squeezing' the head somehow even though it's an in-ear headset. My wife tells me I have a big head, so those are out. lol.

Here's the Faro:

http://www.faroaviation.com/in-ear-aviation-headset.html

Last edited:
I have a giant head and love my Clarity Aloft. I haven't tried the Halo or Faro so I can't compare them. Just saying that CA may be an option after all.

I have the conventional Faro ANR headset and am extremely happy with the purchase.

I have the conventional Faro ANR headset and am extremely happy with the purchase.

I'm wanting the in-ear, but that headset of yours is the cheapest one out there I have seen. Most of them are over $500 that I've come across.

I figure if the in-ear Faro is a comfortable as the Halo, then why not? It's hard to get a Halo because they're always sold out. And the in-ear Faro is only $30 more than the Halo.

Is QT out of stock again?

Is QT out of stock again?

They're always out of stock. And the owner told me when he does put some up, they're sold out within 30 minutes. So you have to check the site at the right time.

They're always out of stock. And the owner told me when he does put some up, they're sold out within 30 minutes. So you have to check the site at the right time.
Hmmmm I have a set I no longer use....

I've been told the trick is to email him to be put on the unofficial waiting list. I'm not at a point where I can justify replacing my perfectly good D.C. ANR headset, but the Halos are at the top of my list if I ever do.

I've been told the trick is to email him to be put on the unofficial waiting list. I'm not at a point where I can justify replacing my perfectly good D.C. ANR headset, but the Halos are at the top of my list if I ever do.

I asked him about that and he said that he didn't have a waiting list anymore. He said he started it and it got up to 300 in no time and just got too large to manage.

I asked him about that and he said that he didn't have a waiting list anymore. He said he started it and it got up to 300 in no time and just got too large to manage.

Seems really odd to me that they wouldn't find a way to speed up production. If he is that busy it seems like he is losing a lot of business by not keeping up

Seems really odd to me that they wouldn't find a way to speed up production. If he is that busy it seems like he is losing a lot of business by not keeping up

Yeah, apparently they put them together by hand, they're not manufactured. On another forum I'm on a pilot said he talked to him about it at Oshkosh and the owner blamed it on millennials he couldn't get to work. lol.

I'm not personally dissing millennials, just repeating what was said. ;)

Yeah, apparently they put them together by hand, they're not manufactured. On another forum I'm on a pilot said he talked to him about it at Oshkosh and the owner blamed it on millennials he couldn't get to work. lol.

I'm not personally dissing millennials, just repeating what was said. ;)

Interesting...seems like a poor excuse haha

The man who makes the QT Halo is an audiologist, with a busy practice. And he's an aircraft owner and pilot.

The Halo headset looks small and fragile, but it holds up to abuse well. I've worn it plugged into my handdheld radio while running a bush hog along the runway, and while repainting the numbers on the runway. To say nothing of the times I tried getting out of the plane, forgetting that they were still on my head . . . .

I have the Clarity Alofts with Bluetooth. I do like them. Music sounds way better with my Bose A20s but I don't really ever listen to music when I'm flying anyways. I would like to try the QT Halos to compare them sometime.

The key design difference I think is that the ear buds on Faro/CA are fed by electric wires and the 'speakers' are in the buds. With the QT the drivers are in the headset and hollow tubes carry the sound to what is basically an ear plug with a hole in it(for the sound).

I actually rolled the seat rail over the QT ear bud tube(on my way to my check ride no less) and didn't damage it, i thought it would be toast.

May I ask how it compares with other specific models of headsets you've used?

I've only owned one other ANR headset...a Bose that I returned because while it reduced noise, it gave the engine more of a harsh metallic sound that I found unsettling. The Faro Gets rid of the lower-pitched booming frequencies, and reduces the overall levels impressively. And the engine sounds happy. And when the engine is happy, I'm happy. :D

My wife and I have had our QTs for 10 years and they still work and look new. No complaints, we love em. Having said that... I took a good look at the Faro you linked to, and they look well built and up to the task. If one of our QTs broke, I would give the Faro a try. With the 30 day return policy, you really aren't taking a risk.

I have the Faro Airs I have used them for one flight so far. They are quite comfortable after you get them adjusted to your head (I also have a large head.) They are very quiet and clear. I also was tired of waiting for the halos

I think Faro makes a great product for the price. I bought 2 pairs of the standard ANR for my passengers and put one to the test. They are not my AKG-AV100 However, they are not $900.00 either. At the price I think they hold their weight.

I have the Faro Airs I have used them for one flight so far. They are quite comfortable after you get them adjusted to your head (I also have a large head.) They are very quiet and clear. I also was tired of waiting for the halos

I almost pulled the trigger on a set last night, but decided to see if I couldn't score a Halo next week. If not, I'll probably go ahead and get them.

I've got several CA and one Halo. Some observations-
CA has the best mic I've used in a headset. I think that is where all the money goes.
At least one of the CAs is in rotation back to CA (thus the reason for multiple pairs) because the stupid wire to speaker interface has failed and the speaker in question is intermittent or completely off line. I've often thought of shrink tubing the CA speaker to the headset wire like the Halo and using tubes to eliminate the problem.
The Halos are ok but not up to the CA's level of performance. I use the Halo in a glider for that reason.
Sanibel products produces ear buds for audio testers. These are the exact same yellow foam as the Halo and you can buy them in big bags for a 1/4 the cost of CA buds. They also knock a few more db off ambient noise although their industrial nature makes them a little harder on the ear canal. You get used to it.

Hello, first post. I got a pair of QT Halo 2 weeks ago at Sun n Fun. Flying there with my Bose A20, I enjoyed the flight back with the Halos more than I thought. I also tried the Faro there but decided for the Halo not only because they were around $100 cheaper, also sound reduction seemed better with the halo.

Hello, first post. I got a pair of QT Halo 2 weeks ago at Sun n Fun. Flying there with my Bose A20, I enjoyed the flight back with the Halos more than I thought. I also tried the Faro there but decided for the Halo not only because they were around $100 cheaper, also sound reduction seemed better with the halo.

On the websites the Faro is only about $30 more expensive, $389 vs $359. Thanks for the info. That is the type of information I am looking for.

What do you think about the tubes on the Halo as opposed to wires for the earpieces on the Faro?

I think the tubes are lighter on the ears, the speakers are behind your head on the headset. So all you have going to your ears is the foam plug, after a while you forget is even there.
I paid $350 for the halo, I think the faro were going for more than $400, not sure as wanted to come back to the halo anyways. My wife also came back happier on the flight back as she was wearing my Bose comparing to the DCs on the way there (win-win).

I think the tubes are lighter on the ears, the speakers are behind your head on the headset. So all you have going to your ears is the foam plug, after a while you forget is even there.
I paid $350 for the halo, I think the faro were going for more than $400, not sure as wanted to come back to the halo anyways. My wife also came back happier on the flight back as she was wearing my Bose comparing to the DCs on the way there (win-win).

I don't currently have a headset. Sold my Lightspeed ANRs a few years ago and haven't flown the past few years. My wife doesn't like in-ear headphones of any kind. So when it comes time to buy her one, the Faro G2 ANR is the cheapest ANR I have seen by a few hundred bucks, $389. And I've seen some good reviews on it too.

I don't currently have a headset. Sold my Lightspeed ANRs a few years ago and haven't flown the past few years. My wife doesn't like in-ear headphones of any kind. So when it comes time to buy her one, the Faro G2 ANR is the cheapest ANR I have seen by a few hundred bucks, $389. And I've seen some good reviews on it too.

I can't comment on the Faro ANR, no experience with it. I was happy with my Bose A20 until I tried the Halo.

I got a Halo set for my wife. She loves them. I tried them and thought, dang... these are better than any thing I have. I had tried a CA set but one of the wires pulled out and one side didn't work. I guess they would be OK if you babied them but I like how Halo has the tube carrying the sound. It works and is more durable. If bluetooth is a must, then CA might come into play. I do think the CA mic is better as well but overall I still pick Halo over CA but FARO?? I have no knowledge.

I have two CA's and one Halo. I haven't noticed a difference in fit or function. But the CA's are usually available and because it is a larger operation the service will also likely be faster.

If you want bluetooth, just buy the bluelink and plug it in to whichever headset you pick.

I got really lucky the other day and checked the website and they were in stock. Got them in under a week, they are by far the best headset I have ever warn compares to the bose a20, lightspeed tango and zulu, and dc pro x. Defiantly worth the wait.

I can't comment on the Faro ANR, no experience with it. I was happy with my Bose A20 until I tried the Halo.

I have the Faro G2 ANR, and I'm happy with them. I really like the ANR because it doesn't squeeze against my head very much, which tends to give me a headache, audio quality is good, and battery life is about what you'd expect.

Sorry to thread-jack.

I really don't like foam ear plugs. I use the included silicone tips with my Halos, the fit is great and they aren't hard to insert in the winter (even when I lived along the Ohio River).

I got really lucky the other day and checked the website and they were in stock. Got them in under a week, they are by far the best headset I have ever warn compares to the bose a20, lightspeed tango and zulu, and dc pro x. Defiantly worth the wait.

Do remember around what time it was?

You can get them through Amazon for $350.

But the CA's are usually available and because it is a larger operation the service will also likely be faster.

Been here a bit but my first post.

I've had a Halo for about 5 years, I think, and really like them. The earlier versions apparently had a problem with the insulation on the jack wires cracking. A few years back I traded emails with Phil at QT and he was very responsive and up-front about the issue. It took me no-kidding 2 years after those emails to finally get up the motivation to send them in to be fixed; I really didn't want to go back to the head clampers, even for a while. Anyway, I finally bit the bullet and sent them in. They were back within two weeks, shipping time included, and fixed for free. I don't think there's a problem with their service despite their busyness.

The "free" part's probably a one-off because of the situation but the whole experience was excellent.

They are excellent headsets.

Incidentally, the "RTV tape" such as Loctite's Go2 silicone tape at HD, works well for fixing things like frayed cords.

The yellow Halo's are currently in stock. I'd buy them myself but I think I'd rather have the black.

*Edit, that didn't last long...

Last edited:
Back