partial panel training in IMC conditions?

Point was that we were finished for the lesson. We had gone through the criteria in the syllabus and he decided to mess with me since we were done. Turns out simulators are great for messing with students who have a sense of humor.
Did he charge you for it?

One of the best training experiences any of my students had was a vacuum failure in actual while getting vectors to an ils. He flew the airplane well and had the opportunity to get no gyro vectors onto the ils and popped out at 300'. Good times

@MauleSkinner : yes, the "hobbs" was still ticking, so I paid for the extra sim time. No, the instructor didn't charge me for the extra "instructor time".

Lesson learned: don't post fun stories about things done in a simulator that are not absolutely training critical. Because no one else has ever done loops or rolls in an FMX to see how it would react. :rolleyes: (EDIT: and if someone asks me if I consider the impossible situation fun, yes I do. I like challenges, even ones which are impossible to win. I understand that not everyone feels the same way)

it's not a bad idea, at least not in enroute flying. Some of my students have had the opportunity and over the years, I have had three gyro failures in flight. One was just a turn coordinator (not a big deal) and the others a vacuum horizon and DG in client's planes. Always an individual instrument failure, never yet an actual pump failure (yet).

@MauleSkinner : yes, the "hobbs" was still ticking, so I paid for the extra sim time. No, the instructor didn't charge me for the extra "instructor time".

Lesson learned: don't post fun stories about things done in a simulator that are not absolutely training critical. Because no one else has ever done loops or rolls in an FMX to see how it would react. :rolleyes: (EDIT: and if someone asks me if I consider the impossible situation fun, yes I do. I like challenges, even ones which are impossible to win. I understand that not everyone feels the same way)

Playing in the sim is nothing new. I have never rolled a 727 or a citation II but if the computer programmers were right I know they both roll pretty nice.

Playing in the sim is nothing new. I have never rolled a 727 or a citation II but if the computer programmers were right I know they both roll pretty nice.
I got the impression that the poster didn't know that the lesson was over until afterwards.

Back