Opportunity to be paid for flying...

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
Well, the opportunity exists for me to enter our pilot training program here at work. Drawback is that I would have to move, since Denali has decided they only need one pilot for our two aircraft.

Possible choices: International Falls, MN; Ely, MN; Eagle, AK; or possibly Bettles, AK (would be later.)

I've been to Eagle and Bettles, and frankly the two Minnesota towns seem mighty appealing in comparison, at least for someone who has to wear the green and grey uniform.

I'm a little reluctant to think about changing from what until now has been a purely recreational endeavor to a paid one. Advantage is I can stay in law enforcement, will retain my pay grade, and will likely no longer have to supervise anyone :happydance: Disadvantage is, I know absolutely nothing about northern Minnesota other than what is on the WWW. And for long range career mobility, probably a sideways move if not a downward one.

The program would take me through Commercial SEL and SES, EMT, and then various Dept of the Interior safety and skills modules. Thoughts, anyone?

I've seen "Fargo" -- looks plenty cold, and International Falls is even colder than the areas in that movie.

I've seen "Fargo" -- looks plenty cold, and International Falls is even colder than the areas in that movie.
True enough, though you have to consider where I am currently living as comparison...Int'l Falls might actually be quite a bit warmer :fcross:

I've been to Fargo - it IS that cold. And International Falls IS even colder. Not that Ely, MN is much better.

They may even be colder than parts of Alaska, but lacking the scenery. It's quite flat in either place.

which would make all that bad weather SAR flying just that much safer, huh?

Tough decision, Richard - good luck with it! :)

If you stayed in Alaska, I'd suggest Bettles. My chief pilot flew for Bettles Lodge for a bunch of years and he loved it. During the winter, they have an ice road that makes it way to the haul road and you can drive to Fairbanks if you want.

I've only been to Eagle once, but if I recall correctly, they have roads all year long.

Minnesota? Well all I can say is that it's not Alaska.

What kind of flying?? Animal tracking, patrol, SAR, transport... all of the above. And what equipment... Super Cubs, 185, Beaver??

Could be a fun job if you get to do everything.

As for the flying...all of the above, with some point-to-point VFR thrown in.

What kind of aircraft? Depends. Could be a 185, or a Husky, or a Scout, or a 206. Maybe a Found Bushhawk. Probably not a Beaver, unfortunately.

I have no doubt that the flying will be outstanding, as will the training. My concern is more in whether I will like being in northern Minnesota for four or five years, and whether being paid by the government to fly will stamp the love of aviation right out of me.

As for the flying...all of the above, with some point-to-point VFR thrown in.

What kind of aircraft? Depends. Could be a 185, or a Husky, or a Scout, or a 206. Maybe a Found Bushhawk. Probably not a Beaver, unfortunately.

I have no doubt that the flying will be outstanding, as will the training. My concern is more in whether I will like being in northern Minnesota for four or five years, and whether being paid by the government to fly will stamp the love of aviation right out of me.

I've got a friend that flies for the State of Colorado (not fed, but still gov't)... he's happier than a pig in... well he's pretty happy. :D

Lots of fun flying, and he flies most days of the week.

It is what you make it I guess. I've known a few pilots for the USGF and also for the USDA/Forest Service... they all enjoyed their jobs. Some typical gov't BS, but they all flew really nice equipment and were home most nights. Can't beat that.

i snowmobiled several years up by Ely. The trees are endless, only broken by small towns and trees. when i was going 8 or 10 yrs ago the winters were pretty cold, i remember one morning of 20 below zero F. ive heard the winters are not nearly as bad as they once were, havent been there in a long time though. cant be worse than alaska, except the people talk a little funny :)

i snowmobiled several years up by Ely. The trees are endless, only broken by small towns and trees. when i was going 8 or 10 yrs ago the winters were pretty cold, i remember one morning of 20 below zero F. ive heard the winters are not nearly as bad as they once were, havent been there in a long time though. cant be worse than alaska, except the people talk a little funny :)
I can understand "Fargospeak" even if I can't exactly speak it.

If you take the flying gig and eventually work up seniorty can you move back to Denali. Once the current pilot leaves?

I had a friend flying for Fish and Wildlife, and she loved it. They let her go right before her probationary period expired. If you're not going to lose your tenure status, I'd say go for it. It's not as pretty as Alaska, but that area does have a similar "can do" sort of feeling about it.

Every law enforcement agency I've ever worked with (DEA/FBI/USMS/ATF) has always had a long waiting line of street agents (who got their flying time on their own) applying for the aviation positions. The ones who got the jobs really REALLY loved it. And it's one of those things that once turned down is never offered again. Lots of opportunities to transfer to other flying gigs within the gov't too.

Frankly, if I could think of a way to steal the job from you, I would, no matter how much I love ya, buddy. That clear enough?

Well...let me put it to ya this way. If you don't take the job the guy who does will probably thank you.

Jeez, I may be nuts, but I love cold weather. Northern MN sounds good to me. Flying, plus proximity to the lower48, relative to where you are now? My wife would kill me, and I'd rather have downhill vs cross country skiing, but all in all, I wouldn't mind MN.

That's one wacko's opinion.:cheerswine:

It depends on how many years you have left with this employer. For long term prospects I cannot see how this new opportunity would hurt.

And who says you need to retire in that position? Find out the turn over rate for this flying position in these locations. Maybe they don't expect you'd last more than a couple years.

In any case, you'd have a new set of transferable skills. And they would be qualified because a known entity (your employer) provided the training.

And maybe, just maybe, you'd be in Patrick McManus' next book. :)

Last edited:
Hey, John!!

Just a little updating, though somewhat off the Thread:

Ann Walco(as in Wicked Good Aviation?), who has been flying the King-Air for the operation in New York - - - - - should be just about finished with her California training for the Falcon20 and/or Falcon50. Mike continues to hold the fort at Wicked Good.

HR

Jeez, I may be nuts, but I love cold weather. Northern MN sounds good to me. Flying, plus proximity to the lower48, relative to where you are now? My wife would kill me, and I'd rather have downhill vs cross country skiing, but all in all, I wouldn't mind MN.

You're not nuts, you're not even crazy. You're certifiable. You're fah reeking out of your mind.

You're not nuts, you're not even crazy. You're certifiable. You're fah reeking out of your mind.
I agree with you Richard. I have been trying to get out of the MidWest for the past 19.9 years of the 20 I have lived here. I hate the winters. Spring and fall are nice but I would dearly love to move back south.

True enough, though you have to consider where I am currently living as comparison...Int'l Falls might actually be quite a bit warmer :fcross:
Maybe up in Denali. But it seems that more time than not the weather is warmer in Anchorage, Juneau, etc. than Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, etc.

Us Minnesotans really really get our fur all ruffled when you tink we're all like Fargoans. Geez, Fargo is in NORT DAKOTA, don'cha know? It's not EVEN in Minnesota. I don't tink dem NORT DAKOTANs even know how to fix up some lutefisk and lefsa, or some hot dishes for the church bazaar...

So come on now, repeat after me "Fargo is NOT Minnesota, yah?"

BTW, I have relatives all over the Ely area; opened the first sawmill in the area; got shut down by the tree huggers when BWCA was designated ... lots of hunting, fishing and general outdoor fun stories circulated thru our family. My vote is for Ely!

The program would take me through Commercial SEL and SES, EMT, and then various Dept of the Interior safety and skills modules. Thoughts, anyone?

Lots of folks decide to toss everything and go to school, incur big debt, and then hope to be able to fly for a living.

You get to keep your present pay, benefits, retirement, etc., AND get free training for a guaranteed flying job?

If you've ever had any interest, you won't get a better offer than this.

Maybe up in Denali. But it seems that more time than not the weather is warmer in Anchorage, Juneau, etc. than Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, etc.
That is true. Alas, I am in the great northern desert, with little snow and -40 temps.

I'm a little reluctant to think about changing from what until now has been a purely recreational endeavor to a paid one.
This is what I did, albeit a long time ago when I was still quite young. I'm sure you already have a good idea what that job consists of, as I also did at the time since I moved up, from the back seat to the front, within the same company and industry (mapping). This gives you a big advantage over people who have some starry-eyed notion about flying for a living, plus you already have a job offer. The main thing about doing it as a job is to remember that it comes with the same baggage as other jobs and sometimes more. In addition, you are now flying more or less on their terms, not yours. There are definitely those times when I would rather not be sitting in that airplane. That's not to say that it can't be interesting, challenging and sometimes very cool. You just have to remember that they are not providing the airplane for your entertainment. The good part is that you aren't paying the bills either. :yes:

The opportunity to advance to pilot in your service seems to me to be a good thing. Northern Minn may not be your dream spot, but couldn't you have a chance to move when/if any other pilot position comes open?

OBTW how will you deal with the 170? If I can be of any help let me know.

Well, the opportunity exists for me to enter our pilot training program here at work. Drawback is that I would have to move, since Denali has decided they only need one pilot for our two aircraft.

Possible choices: International Falls, MN; Ely, MN; Eagle, AK; or possibly Bettles, AK (would be later.)

I've been to Eagle and Bettles, and frankly the two Minnesota towns seem mighty appealing in comparison, at least for someone who has to wear the green and grey uniform.

I'm a little reluctant to think about changing from what until now has been a purely recreational endeavor to a paid one. Advantage is I can stay in law enforcement, will retain my pay grade, and will likely no longer have to supervise anyone :happydance: Disadvantage is, I know absolutely nothing about northern Minnesota other than what is on the WWW. And for long range career mobility, probably a sideways move if not a downward one.

Me? I'd stay in AK vs MN. You get all the cold with none of the view, plus you have to learn to speak Minnesotan.

Thanks everyone, you can keep 'em coming. Maybe I should have posted a poll :redface:

After a few phone calls today it appears that I might also be given an opportunity to stay here while training, and then move into a slot once one opens somewhere else. Or else, short term, the International Falls slot seems to be the most likely posting (move then train.)

Frankly I've been kicking around the idea of moving back down to the conus anyway. My parents are getting up in years, I have nieces and nephews running around that I hardly ever see, plus friends too. Alaska is beautiful but it isn't my first love - the Rockies are. Yes, I know Minnesota isn't in the Rockies, but it is only 6 hours direct from there to Red Bluff, MT or Cody, WY at Cessna 170 speeds ;)

My job here puts me in the office 90% of the time, and I've been thinking lately that maybe I climbed into that office chair too early in my career, and as much as I like mentoring younger rangers and being in a position to effect change, it might be time to get outside again.

So, from "futr_alaskaflyer", to "Alaskaflyer", to..."once_was_an_alaskaflyer"?

Last edited:
I haven't read the latest responses here but would you be likely to get any special endorsements like Smoke Jumper/ Low Level?

Endorsements only add value and marketability.

I think you should go for it!

A Pilot job where you get to spend every night at home sounds like a good gig.

Whichever way you go, Minnesota or a good location:))) definitely go for the flying gig. The closest you'll ever come to an opportunity like this is with the military.

You are indeed a lucky man to have this dilemma. Opportunity doesn't always pound down the door before deciding nobody's home.

Well, passed my class 2 medical yesterday, and mailing off my resume packet today. We'll see what happens... :fcross:

I just want to say good luck. We're all counting on you.

Thanks! This one is for the International Falls job, just happened to be the first one out on the street.

It depends on how many years you have left with this employer. For long term prospects I cannot see how this new opportunity would hurt.

And who says you need to retire in that position? Find out the turn over rate for this flying position in these locations. Maybe they don't expect you'd last more than a couple years.

In any case, you'd have a new set of transferable skills. And they would be qualified because a known entity (your employer) provided the training.
To advance beyond my current position (second-line manager) one must be a skilled bureaucrat, not a pilot ;) That is what I meant by hurting my long range career plans, but as you say I have a few years to go until retirement (14 minimum) and frankly I look forward (if successful) to a break from the days in the office and the steady bureaucratization of my (work) life.

Back