PAPER Chart Subscriptions

skyhawkjrp

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
skyhawkjrp
Can anyone recommend a source for paper charts. I'm getting back into the IFR world and would like to start getting ALL f my paper charts via subscription.

Recommendations????

Sportys?????

Keep in mind that paper is becoming a thing of the past.

The "major" pilot shops (Sportys, MyPilotStore, PilotMall, etc.) will sell you a subscription, but it's going to be far more expensive than Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, etc.

Joe's Pilot Shop lands them in my mailbox for less than Sportys pre-shipping cost price. Joe charges actual shopping if you're on subscription.

EFBs are alright for preflight planning, but I find the constant the scrolling and zooming in to read and out to see to be bothersome. They really aren't hard to fold in flight, just flip to the next accordion fold.

Just direct via Jepp? That's what I did until I went all electronic

There was a service we used to subscribe to, I'm thinking Aircharts, but my Google Fu is weak.

I do miss the "big picture" that a chart provides and keep an all-Ohio one in the plane for that reason. Plus it makes a great sunscreen tucked up around my Rosens. Apparently Ohio has forsaken the sun this season so I won't be needing it anytime soon.

I do miss the "big picture" that a chart provides and keep an all-Ohio one in the plane for that reason. Plus it makes a great sunscreen tucked up around my Rosens. Apparently Ohio has forsaken the sun this season so I won't be needing it anytime soon.
I find the sectionals on ForeFlight to be superior to paper sectionals, at least on my iPad. Not so much so on my iPhone.

I think I'm half-ass EFB. I keep the 430W and 696 on current cycle, and when I'm doing IFR training/practice (not rated yet) I print the all the approaches for the airports involved so I can look at 8 1/2 x 11 without my reading glasses.

I'm still getting VFR sectionals for Miami and Jacksonville as well as the IFR low alt chart for the southeast as paper. My subscription moved (iPilot was bought by PilotMall IIRC). The approach book and AFD I stopped. I've got all that in my iPad (along with the others of course) but I print approach charts I might need before flying. Just in case. Anyway, Pilot Mall still works for me.

John

You can print gov plate for free off fltplan.com

Or as the others said, just get foreflight and not drown in paper ;)

But my tablet won't block the sunshine up on the glareshield while I'm chasing $100 burgers... :D

Get a bigger tablet with Foreflight or Garmin Pilot with geo-ref plates. Or get a G1000 panel with geo-ref plates. Light years beyond paper.

Last edited:
Friend left a Zaon portable on his black glare shield flying across Oklahoma and it pretty much melted the case. I have a 7" tablet running GP already and I get it, it's nice. I was referring to the fact that you can take a paper sectional and unfold it completely. Then flip your Rosen visors down and all the way forward. Using them as an attachment point I can stick the entire sectional up in the glareshield and block the sun from cooking my interior while I'm parked at Portsmouth PMH or Urbana Grimes I74 seeking sustenance!

Course I might need to get one of these insteadimagesC3OXC4TG.jpg

ForeFlight sectionals are seamless. Just can't beat them on a full size iPad. I have a friend who is a redundant sort of guy. He carries two iPads with Foreflight when flying.

I have a friend who is a redundant sort of guy. He carries two iPads with Foreflight when flying
Likely a friend of a CFI I know who says that there are 6 "C's" related to getting unlost during primary training.

Climb
Confess
Conserve Fuel
Communicate
Comply
and CASH -- Because you need to buy another GPS

Aircraft Spruce still sells a subscription. Besides being good sun screens, if you get a wasp in the cockpit with you, you will appreciate having a paper sectional with you! :)

ForeFlight sectionals are seamless. Just can't beat them on a full size iPad. I have a friend who is a redundant sort of guy. He carries two iPads with Foreflight when flying.

Yes, they are now seamless. Nice to learn how to pull up chart legends on the edges when there aren't any. Even better is their 'Global Chart' implementation which is a hybrid chart that dynamically adds and subtracts chart graphics based on zooming.

I know I prefer investing my limited learning energies on FF rather than dusting off my chart folding and pencil fumbling skills while playing single pilot IFR sans AP.

Anyway, I rely on my iPhone copy for backup but also have a gratis copy on my wife's iPad which is onboard for 80% of my flights.

Paperless cockpit for 5 years and counting...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, they are now seamless. Nice to learn how to pull up chart legends on the edges when there aren't any. Even better is their 'Global Chart' implementation which is a hybrid chart that dynamically adds and subtracts chart graphics based on zooming.

I know I prefer investing my limited learning energies on FF rather than dusting off my chart folding and pencil fumbling skills while playing single pilot IFR sans AP.

Anyway, I rely on my iPhone copy for backup but also have a gratis copy on my wife's iPad which is onboard for 80% of my flights.

Paperless cockpit for 5 years and counting...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good for you, but along with many others here, you carefully did not answer the question the OP asked. When he next asks for a place with good prices on avgas, will you tell him to buy a diesel plane and load up on cheap Jet A? When he asks where to fly for a good burger, will you tell him to drive to the grocery store? Cause that's what you've done here.

Just go to Joe'so Pilot Shop (www.joespilot.com, 800-247-8294), and get a subscription for whatever you regularly want. Since I subscribe, I can buy others at the discounted subscription rate, too.

Good for you, but along with many others here, you carefully did not answer the question the OP asked. When he next asks for a place with good prices on avgas, will you tell him to buy a diesel plane and load up on cheap Jet A? When he asks where to fly for a good burger, will you tell him to drive to the grocery store? Cause that's what you've done here.
It is called thread creep. That's the way forums and e-bulletin boards function.

On your maps view tap on the cog wheel-map touch action-bring chart to fron with legend

Betcha the same guys that like paper charts still get a newspaper delivered to their house. :)

Last edited:
Betcha the same guys that like paper charts still get a newspaper delivered to their house.
I get my news on the Internet.

And why do you care that someone likes something that you don't like? As far as I'm concerned, people who like EFBs should be able to use them, and people who like paper charts should be able to use those. Freedom of choice is a GOOD thing!

And why do you care that someone likes something that you don't like?

I am not criticizing anyone for using paper charts. I just don't understand why given the tools out there now.

I used to work in an Army simulation facility. One of the retired Army subject matter experts (who was quite tech savvy, by the way) had a sign on his office that said "A computer with a bullet hole in it is a doorstop. A map with a bullet hole in it is a map."

I use WingX on my iPad. (And, now that I have access to them, the GPSs in the panel.) But I carry paper (only the ones for the southeast US which is where I fly). I don't carry full approach books anymore. I just preprint those before I go.

John
Who definitely has gray hair.

I am not criticizing anyone for using paper charts. I just don't understand why given the tools out there now.
There's no accounting for taste.

In my case, it's probably due partly to the law of primacy (which I understand is discussed in the FAA's "Fundamentals of Instruction"), and partly to the fact that I find EFBs difficult to read on a bright sunny day.

I also like having a means of navigation that doesn't depend on always having access to a source of electric power.

I have an iPhone and an iPad with a current Foreflight subscription, but for inflight use, I still use paper, so I guess my preference is "both."

Last edited:
Betcha the same guys that like paper charts still get a newspaper delivered to their house. :)
Our local rag comes to my iPad in a PDF file and the paper version arrives daily for my wife. She likes the comics on her iPad, but not the e-edition. She will read the e-edition when we go out of town.

There's no accounting for taste.

In my case, it's probably due partly to the law of primacy (which I understand is discussed in the FAA's "Fundamentals of Instruction"), and partly to the fact that I find EFBs difficult to read on a bright sunny day.

I also like having a means of navigation that doesn't depend on always having access to a source of electric power.

I have an iPhone and an iPad with a current Foreflight subscription, but for inflight use, I still use paper, so I guess my preference is "both."

I've had flying days longer than the battery life of my tablet, which is getting shorter by the month.

I've had a total electrical failure moments after breaking out of the clouds on approach.

It's hard to scan the next 100 miles ahead on a tablet, even using my desktop 23" touchscreen at home. It's pretty easy to fold open the chart, and everything is legible at a glance without zooming out, scrolling repeatedly and zooming in and out . . . If you're happy with the GPS presentation in your car that shows only the next two blocks, don't worry be happy; I gave up on that sorry POS years ago after zooming out about 15 times to see 1/2 mile ahead, then it reset itself to 2 blocks after about 15 seconds.

Sometimes it's nice to see where I'm going, not just where I am; I an airplane, sometimes it is necessary to see where I am going.

Plan a short flight, just a couple of hundred miles. Write down the name, identifier and ATIS/ AWOS frequency of every airport that you will pass enroute, because it's good to know the weather ahead in marginal VFR and IFR. Sure, you can get XM, but does that tell you wind, ceiling and visibility of each field when you're still 20 miles out? Do you care what they are in case you need to divert? How many dozen times are you zooming in and out to read the writing get that disappears whenever you zoom out to look ahead? How well are you pinching and scrolling while bouncing through the clouds and keeping up your instrument to scan?

These are just some of the reasons I like having paper charts in the plane. The EFB is a handy tool during preflight planning, though, and Avare works pretty well for that. When it doesn't suddenly scroll me several thousand miles into the Atlantic Ocean instead of halfway across Alabama.

Notice, though, that I'm not making fun of you or denigrating your choice. There's a difference . . . And your style drives people away when they encounter it too much. It's why I'm no longer on the Red Board, and I'm getting sick of it here, too. Too freaking much attitude from too many people . . . .

When I want to see the big picture with out details, just a few button pushes will scroll my Garmin 430W from my normal 50nm scale out to 1000nm, but all airports and much Special Use Airspace disappear along the way. Sometimes I need to see that stuff to plan a way around it.

Last edited:
...Notice, though, that I'm not making fun of you or denigrating your choice. There's a difference . . . And your style drives people away when they encounter it too much. It's why I'm no longer on the Red Board, and I'm getting sick of it here, too. Too freaking much attitude from too many people . . . .
Where have I made fun of anyone or denigrated their choices? :confused2:

Gad, I'm such a Elmer Fudd - I use FF (with a Dual GPS) as my primary en-route IFR nav, with the G-530 as "backup" - in the approach phase, I shift to the 530. . .but my confession is I print the plates I expect to be using!

But, I don't bring paper IFR charts with me! It sounds inconsistent, but feels kinda right. . .

The way I look at it, whatever works best for you is right.

Can anyone recommend a source for paper charts. I'm getting back into the IFR world and would like to start getting ALL f my paper charts
Sportys?????

Keep in mind that paper is becoming a thing of the past.

You know, that is what somebody told me when I bought the IPAD 1. Paper is still supported and the old IPAD isn't.

Back