Path from 0 hours to Jet?

You'll need to test fly some before you decide. I've flown the flight design and HATED it. My flight school had 2 and got rid of em. No idea why they were popular, but haven't heard much about em lately.

The ones I've heard or experienced good things about:

Pipersport/Czech sport aircraft
gobosh
Sling
Vans RV12
And very different - Carbon Cub.

Just my .02, but LSA really requires you to do your homework, there are some quirky birds out there. If I were shopping for one I'd probably look for an RV12 first.

g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll need to test fly some before you decide. I've flown the flight design and HATED it. My flight school had 2 and got rid of em. No idea why they were popular, but haven't heard much about em lately.
Care to share some reasons you hated the Flight Design? On paper, they seem like a good plane.

Odd sight picture on landing, not well harmonized controls, we had students easily damaging the nose gear, and it just wiggled - always seemed to make me instantly queasy in any kind of wind at all... my instructor also had a dim view of the plane.

I can relate to this topic very well, minus the medical (which, I'm thankful for). My advice is simple (based on my life): before you buy an airplane, what attracted you to aviation? This is the biggest question you need to answer, IMO.

For me, it more about open flight and getting off the ground. So, after trying several airplanes and owning a Cirrus, I don't own a plane anymore. I'm more of the sky diver, paramotor, paraglider person who loves the wind in my face! When my family travels, we charter an airplane, as we only travel for pleasure amd when we travel it's about the destination, not the journey, so a charter makes more sense for us. Also, I got bored flying the Cirrus sometimes, as I found that the plane was 1% flying, taking off and landing, and 99% system management while everything is working properly. I actually preferred the C172 with open windows doing maneuvers more than putting the wife and kids in the plane and flying across country at 9,000 - 11,000 feet.

So Are you trying to Country Hop? State Hop? Etc? These are the types of questions you need to decide on. Owning an Airplane is great, but, your always dependent on someone else.

Another choice is: which is the route I'm taking (currently looking at helicopters)

long distance: (750 NM) Charter
Short hop: (100-750) Helicopter
Local flight: Paraglider part 103!

The Flight Design CTLS leads all SLSA sales. Hundreds are flying. Again, customers find and decide which products are best.

Today the plane is being produced and supported by a Taiwan company with plants in China. The CTLS is like a junior high wing version of a Cirrus SR22. It is an all carbon fiber design with a BRS parachute and fixed gear. They come with any Rotax engine you choose. They have a wide 49 inch cockpit and special seats that are designed to absorb the G forces when the chute is pulled. They are also equipped with Dynon touch glass and the Garmin 796 touch nav and are being delivered fully ADS-B compliant.

Flying any SLSA tests true stick and rudder skills. They are light and agile and require little runway to takeoff and land. The FD CTLS also out sold and out lasted the Cessna Skycatcher.

The Flight Design CTLS leads all SLSA sales. Hundreds are flying. Again, customers find and decide which products are best.

Today the plane is being produced and supported by a Taiwan company with plants in China. The CTLS is like a junior high wing version of a Cirrus SR22. It is an all carbon fiber design with a BRS parachute and fixed gear. They come with any Rotax engine you choose. They have a wide 49 inch cockpit and special seats that are designed to absorb the G forces when the chute is pulled. They are also equipped with Dynon touch glass and the Garmin 796 touch nav and are being delivered fully ADS-B compliant.

Flying any SLSA tests true stick and rudder skills. They are light and agile and require little runway to takeoff and land. The FD CTLS also out sold and out lasted the Cessna Skycatcher.

Have you flown a CTLS? You always think the market gets it right huh... like VHS...

@jmp470, @citizen5000, First off, this is mostly for pleasure. There will come a time in the future that I could use an airplane for business but I'm not sure if I should depend on an LSA for that. I mostly want to fly regionally. I live in Las Vegas, so Southern California and Arizona might be some good destinations. I'm just looking for a solid LSA. I'm sorry to hear the comments about Flight Design as they have a distributor right here in Las Vegas. I'm also looking into the Sport Cruiser but they only have 1 distributor in Florida. Anyway, I'd like to fly a few and get a sense of what they are like before I buy. Thanks for all the advice folks!!

@jmp470, @citizen5000, First off, this is mostly for pleasure. There will come a time in the future that I could use an airplane for business but I'm not sure if I should depend on an LSA for that. I mostly want to fly regionally. I live in Las Vegas, so Southern California and Arizona might be some good destinations. I'm just looking for a solid LSA. I'm sorry to hear the comments about Flight Design as they have a distributor right here in Las Vegas. I'm also looking into the Sport Cruiser but they only have 1 distributor in Florida. Anyway, I'd like to fly a few and get a sense of what they are like before I buy. Thanks for all the advice folks!!

Since you are in Las Vegas you will be glad to know there are several Flight Design owners at KVGT (North Las Vegas Airport). Lone Mountain supports the aircraft and assembles them for Western states customers and are also on KVGT. The best way to determine what aircraft you like is to fly them.

Before I bought my Cirrus, I flew the CTLS. It's a very nice plane. It flies similar to the Cirrus, IMO. As for the sight picture, side yoke, center stick, etc. after 10 hours or so in the plane, you won't care, it will become natural. Everyone has their own preferences, and I prefer the side yoke or side stick as it frees up your lap.

It's much easier to **** in a bottle with a side stick/ yoke, FYI. For those times that you are going within the plane range and want to stay hydrated!!!

Also, I wouldn't listen to anyone one person on a forum (including me)! Go fly them all. If you have the money you say, rent them all. Even the Jets before you buy. Get to know your mission and then realize it's going to change as soon as you get the plane :)

I frequently flew east coast to mid west. $100 day trips became $500 - $1,000 weekends, etc.

Amen, fly a variety of airplanes before you choose. Don't buy the first one you fly until you educate yourself by flying a bunch. You're spending a lot of money...

I would go with something more complex than the SR22 if you wanna fly more than Cirrus' VLJ.

Get your medical. Rent a primary trainer, 172 or Cherokee to get your private. You won't need a trainer that long to bother buying one. Then buy a complex airplane like an Arrow or a Mooney to do some time building and cross country flying and to get your instrument in. Then do commercial and multi after you gain some traveling experience around 500 hours and upgrade to something like a Baron or DA62. Fly that a while. Then you'll be ready to move up to a jet.
<- This, except you could start in an Arrow or Mooney if you like.

As far as flight school fleet size goes, you want a school that has more than one of the type of airplane you need to train in. If, for example, you want to get your PPL in a 'complex' airplane (that's fine, people do it all the time, just takes a bit longer) be sure your school has more than one of that type of airplane. A lot of schools have one complex airplane and one multiengine airplane. If that's the case, expect a lot of delays while 'the airplane' is in maintenance or off station.

I agree that if you are starting with $10 million you don't have enough money to operate a Cessna Mustang for very long, even assuming you live in yurt near Muleshoe Texas and use a Walmart bicycle to get to the airport.

You'd seem to me a perfect candidate for a Diamond DA-62. This airplane is ultra modern, sips Jet-A, is super safe, extremely simple to operate. You can buy a new one under warranty and check all the options and still get change back from your $1.5 million. It's a mini-airliner. Just hope the time between overhauls on the Mercedes engines is raised, which it probably will be.

You'd be safe at less than 500 hours flying a DA-62.

You'd be safe at less than 500 hours flying a DA-62.

The DA-62 is a twin with retractable gear and is a high performance diesel. Diamond in Germany just sold out their design and manufacturing to a Chinese company so the plane will now be made and delivered in Diamond's old Canadian facility.

To be able to fly the 62 insurance companies will require at least a hundred hours of dual training. Especially if you are a low time private pilot just getting started.

This isn't all that relevant to the OP, but I looked hard at the DA-62 for a time and even test flew one, so I've got some thoughts there. I ended up just not being able to make the math work. It's a $1.3mm airplane that goes 175kts and isn't pressurized. A guy in a 1980s-era Mooney is going to beat me on almost every trip, and the Cirrus guys will, too! You can't move around inside it at all; while it's got a cabin class price, it doesn't have a true cabin. Sure, it sips cheap fuel (and it's nice not having to fiddle with mixture and prop controls), but if you're spending seven figures on an airplane and probably flying less than 200 hours per year, it's just not that big a deal. Yeah, it'd matter to flight schools or commercial operators, but not to a private owner. For $1.3mm you can own a slightly used turboprop that goes >300kts in the mid flight levels! It's also pretty lame that you're stuck with an old G1000; almost all new top-of-the-line GA aircraft today come with keyboards and touchscreens.

Long wings with low wing-loading mean tons of adverse yaw and a lousy ride in turbulence. The ground steering is so heavy that your leg will start to cramp up during taxi---seriously. The passenger center-stick isn't removable, which your wife won't like when she's trying to read a book.

A friend of a friend just got one, and he's had six ECU failures, two of which killed an engine on him. Diamond is blaming the engine manufacturer---which is their own subsidiary! And this brings me to something else about Diamond: I think they're dirtbags. I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of owners, and almost all of them felt like they'd been treated horribly by Diamond when Thielent went under. Apparently, they were deliberately not doing WAAS upgrades for DA-42 owners unless they purchased new Austro engines. A WAAS upgrade on a G1000 is fifteen minute software update, but they wouldn't do it. I watched a few interviews with the CEO, and he just looks like a slimy dude. I'd stay away. Save $800,000 and buy an older 310 or 414. Have pressurization, an extra 25 knots, and use your extra money to pay for the higher maintenance and fuel. You can easily add in a G500 for around $50k if that's important to you (better yet: find one where an owner already did).

On the other hand, though, the engines are truly wonderful. I think diesels are the future of light GA, and I can't wait until they start coming to other aircraft. The center stick makes it feel somewhat sporty to fly, although it kind of gets in the way at times. The gull-wing doors are cool.

"To be able to fly the 62 insurance companies will require at least a hundred hours of dual training. Especially if you are a low time private pilot just getting started."

Really? One hundred hours for a two lever piston twin? I kinda doubt that.

"For $1.3mm you can own a slightly used turboprop that goes >300kts in the mid flight levels! "

Certainly. In fact, you can get a decent Lear 35 or older Citation SP for that.

But really now, a 300 knot turboprop or Citation require ATP level skill to fly.

But remember, our OP wants to go from zero to hero in the min time possible. He's got the money to buy way more airplane than might be a good idea for a fairly new pilot.

The DA-62 is about as simple a twin as there can be. If he buys a new one at least his first few ECU failures will be covered by the warranty.

Encouraging the OP to consider a twin turboprop or a jet is not doing him a favor.

So we started out at a jet and ended up with a roached out Aeronca Champ. Only on POA. :D

"To be able to fly the 62 insurance companies will require at least a hundred hours of dual training. Especially if you are a low time private pilot just getting started."

Really? One hundred hours for a two lever piston twin? I kinda doubt that.

"For $1.3mm you can own a slightly used turboprop that goes >300kts in the mid flight levels! "

Certainly. In fact, you can get a decent Lear 35 or older Citation SP for that.

But really now, a 300 knot turboprop or Citation require ATP level skill to fly.

But remember, our OP wants to go from zero to hero in the min time possible. He's got the money to buy way more airplane than might be a good idea for a fairly new pilot.

The DA-62 is about as simple a twin as there can be. If he buys a new one at least his first few ECU failures will be covered by the warranty.

Encouraging the OP to consider a twin turboprop or a jet is not doing him a favor.

Yeah, totally agree with all of this. My point was just that, _for the price_, you can get a much more capable aircraft. Not that the OP _should_ do that, but I really just can't wrap my mind around dropping that much cash on, frankly, a low-performance airplane. If you're looking for low, slow, and fun, I've got a ton of ideas, and they're five- and six-figure ideas. If you want to go fast up high, I've got some six- and seven-figure ideas. That's all I meant.

I think you're bang-on with insurance. It's not going to be that tough. Good transition course and maybe 20-40 hours with a mentor pilot should be enough, once someone has an IA and MEL.

If I won the powerball 100 million lotto here is what I would get:

Used Beechcraft Baron presurized version AND
Used Yak 52 or T-34 Mentor or L39 jet or Extra 300

That would tick all the fun useful boxes for me. All far less $$$ than a used or new Gulfstream or Mustang Citation jet too!
Two planes a travel plane and fun plane would make me a happy camper for life.

I personally know a guy that is doing exactly what the op is doing. The guy had both plenty money and a high income.

From what I remember he basically just rented planes while getting his PPl, IFR and then Twin, he then bought a king air and flew the thing all the time while paying a safety pilot to be with him until he had a lot of hours and felt comfortable with the plane. Then I think he flew the king air for another hundred until he got a mustang.

Flyer9966,

I just got my 3rd class medical last week to start my PPL. My medical history wasn't that crazy however Dr. Chien was very helpful regarding a medical visit in the 3yr window, I did EXACTLY as he recommended and the AME signed in the office as he expected. With your medications you will want the man on your Side!

Also, you've got enough money to consider a jet so spend a pittance up front. Stop by an FBO and take some discovery or initial lessons. All you need is money for this. You'll get a feel for it to see if you even like it. You can even log those hours. Maybe you can ask around and spend even more and get ride in a even bigger plane. So maybe you've spent $1k out of your huge settlement but now you know if you like it, or if you get air sick, or what type of plane you like or maybe it was all just a whim. Most importantly, you'll see the workload and have immediate respect and be humbled as to how much is really going on.

Back