I didn't know Malibu's were this impressive.

that looks about the size of my old PA-32.....nice. :D
Honestly, I think some if not most of these reports come from people that heard misinformation from someone that knowns someone that sat in a Malibu once and propagated the misinformation. Most cabin class aircraft require a technique to get into place, the Malibu is not unique there. I knew a guy that had ruled out a PA46 because he had heard how tight the cockpit was reported to be. He was 6'3. I had him come out and sit in my Meridian. He was puzzled, it was very comfortable. The cabin is 50 inches wide. That is a little over 2 inches wider than a TBM. He is now in a new M500 (Meridian). I can tell you that before the M2 mods, the Meridian has more cockpit room than a stock CJ1 or M2 up front. It feels absolutely cavernous compared to a C172 or Aztec. The later planes do have some modifications of the cabin and seats that increase room for big and tall pilots, they also have fold flat seats that help. Need to have the seats all the way back, all the way down, and reclined a little for really big pilots. A lot of people over 6 feet and over 200 lbs flying these planes, so in essence, I think people confuse the technique needed to get into place in any cabin class plane, CJ1, M2, PC12, TBM without the pilot door, with the size of the cockpit once in place.

Anyway, if you are really fluffy, want to make it easy, you can drop the seats and roll in. ;)

View attachment 52190

Looking up close at an Aerostar parked on the ramp, I stood there wondering how the hell you got up front.

The Malibu looks downright easy compared to that. :)

The Aerostar's cabin door is at the pilots seat. Doesn't get any easier than that. It's the passengers getting to the back that may be interesting....

The Aerostar's cabin door is at the pilots seat. Doesn't get any easier than that. It's the passengers getting to the back that may be interesting....

Maybe that's what I was noticing. Whole thing looked really narrow and hard to get around in, nevertheless. Want to go fast, there's usually a penalty related to cross-section, or some really big windmills on the thing, physics doesn't care much which you use, or both... heh.

So after further research....the Matrix is the same thing as the Malibu sans the Pressurization and FIKI.

And you can still go up high with the built in o2?

It seems like you would just want to get pressurization though, plus you can get an older Malibu for less coin and the Matrix.

Last edited:
So after further research....the Matrix is the same thing as the Malibu sans the Pressurization and FIKI.

It seems like you would just want to get pressurization though, plus you can get an older Malibu for less coin and the Matrix.

The biggest difference is useful load. The Malibu has about 1150 useful. You pull out all the stuff needed for pressurization and you save about 125+ lbs, as most Matrix's are around 1275 useful. So if you are willing to travel at 10k and not 20k you go from a three person plane to a four person plane. Granted you will also go 15 knots or so slower also.

If you are prepared to forego pressurization there's LOTs of alternatives, starting with Cirrus. pressurization is the primary reason to own a Malibu.

Another thing about useful load on the Malibus and Mirages. Forget about full fuel useful load. Almost nobody wants to fly 1300+ nm non-stop at 200 Knots. That is a long time in the air. Make a stop and see the middle part of the country. So you are going to leave some fuel behind. My Mirage had tabs at 35, 45 and 55 gallons a side. Top off was 60. So easy to start with a known quantity of fuel. No reason to carry more fuel than you need, just robs performance. So it is easy to trade fuel for cabin dwellers. I have had 6 in my aircraft, usually a mix of smaller people numerous times.

Another thing about useful load on the Malibus and Mirages. Forget about full fuel useful load. Almost nobody wants to fly 1300+ nm non-stop at 200 Knots. That is a long time in the air. Make a stop and see the middle part of the country. So you are going to leave some fuel behind. My Mirage had tabs at 35, 45 and 55 gallons a side. Top off was 60. So easy to start with a known quantity of fuel. No reason to carry more fuel than you need, just robs performance. So it is easy to trade fuel for cabin dwellers. I have had 6 in my aircraft, usually a mix of smaller people numerous times.

that makes a lot of sense...the majority of my flying would be to Florida so...nothing over 3 hours. even going to Key West from here is a little over 4 hours at those speeds.

Like you said, I wouldn't need all that fuel.

At least now I know this thing (malibu) exist and it's somthing I can work towards.

I believe it also lacks the radar pod. Are you sure it's not fiki?

Well I gave the guy working the Piper static M series display a good laugh today.

I couldn't easily get my big ass in the pilots seat. Every time I'd try to cross the hump where the spar passes, my back would hit the ceiling and my foot would catch the hump.

it was hot too and I didn't want to sweat all over the seats trying some more, so I gave up after a few tries lol

The passenger experience in any PA46 is vastly more enjoyable than that of a SR22. Compare the back seat of a VW Beetle to that of a stretch limo.

Well I gave the guy working the Piper static M series display a good laugh today.

I couldn't easily get my big ass in the pilots seat. Every time I'd try to cross the hump where the spar passes, my back would hit the ceiling and my foot would catch the hump.

it was hot too and I didn't want to sweat all over the seats trying some more, so I gave up after a few tries lol

LOL. What did we tell you. :D

Good that you tried a test fit. Now, did he show you the technique to squeeze in there properly if you are a big guy? I flip the backrests down on the second row seats, use those for support and go feet first over the spar. Not elegant (nothing about getting in and out of the front row seats of a Malibu is), but it works. Getting out roll to the right and crawl out over the spar face down using those same seatbacks for your hands.

Still can't fly the plane because there is no rudder pedal adjustment and the spacing from the seatback to the rudder pedals isn't sufficient for anyone over about 33 inch inseam.

The passenger experience in any PA46 is vastly more enjoyable than that of a SR22. Compare the back seat of a VW Beetle to that of a stretch limo.

So is the back of a mini-van. But I don't own one of those either.

If I am footing the bill to own and operate the plane, up front is what counts. Passengers are welcome to come along if they please, but I don't buy my airplanes based on their needs, wants or desires. :D

Good that you tried a test fit. Now, did he show you the technique to squeeze in there properly if you are a big guy? I flip the backrests down on the second row seats, use those for support and go feet first over the spar. Not elegant (nothing about getting in and out of the front row seats of a Malibu is), but it works. Getting out roll to the right and crawl out over the spar face down using those same seatbacks for your hands.

Still can't fly the plane because there is no rudder pedal adjustment and the spacing from the seatback to the rudder pedals isn't sufficient for anyone over about 33 inch inseam.
Who the hell designs these things? I'm glad I stopped growing at just over 6'. I run into a lot of guys 6'4" + and feel for them.

We didn't try that technique, but that actually would haved worked well after seeing the layout. I was seriously worried that if I got my self in there I wasn't coming out lol.

I need to lose some weight and give it a go next year.

That plane is just so good looking and fast.

Who the hell designs these things? I'm glad I stopped growing at just over 6'. I run into a lot of guys 6'4" + and feel for them.

I really have no idea how a 6'4" person could even get in there. I am 5'11" with a 29" inseam and i'd have to literally slide in.

Maybe that's what I was noticing. Whole thing looked really narrow and hard to get around in, nevertheless. Want to go fast, there's usually a penalty related to cross-section, or some really big windmills on the thing, physics doesn't care much which you use, or both... heh.

Yep, unfortunately that's the "speed price" (along with fuel) :-\

The A* has a very odd (probably unique) loading procedure: the pilot seat slides _way_ forward, to the point where the cushion is almost fully underneath the panel and the backrest is touching the yoke. Passengers can then just walk in through the door. Slide the seat back, and the pilot gets in just like a car. Bonus is that the pilot controls the door start-to-finish. It actually works great for everyone except the person sitting in the copilot's seat; there's just no good way to get in that without some contortions. It's not terrible, but it's pretty much impossible to be graceful. Most of us remove the second center-row seat, so it becomes a five-person airplane. That actually makes it quite comfortable for passengers, because you get a little aisle in there and can install a fold-down table, while the left rear seat passenger gets infinity legroom. Then the other center row seat can swivel around, so the three backseaters can all talk or have a meeting.

If I am footing the bill to own and operate the plane, up front is what counts. Passengers are welcome to come along if they please, but I don't buy my airplanes based on their needs, wants or desires. :D

LOL---bingo.

Oldest PA46 I have owned was a 2010 Matrix, they did seem to have a smaller cockpit than the later models. This M600 does seem to be pretty nice though. I would give it the edge in comfort over the TBM 930 that I demo'd. The M600 is wider, not quite as tall, has more knee to knee legroom, a little less leg extension room. Overall, I prefer the M600 cockpit. Flying out of Colorado Springs today, nothing to do but take pictures of my legs and listen to airliners squawk about mountain waves.;-) Was bumpy, heard an airliner asking to descend to FL280 to get out of the bumps. Anyway, I am 6'2 200 lbs with a 34 inseam. I have not found the cockpit at all confining, although, there is a technique to get in that makes it much easier. I have found that to be the case in all cabin class aircraft though. Exception maybe the TBM with the pilot door. They did really improve the seats with the M600 again, though. Really comfy cabin.

1 - 1 (1).jpg
View attachment 52634

Oldest PA46 I have owned was a 2010 Matrix, they did seem to have a smaller cockpit than the later models. This M600 does seem to be pretty nice though. I would give it the edge in comfort over the TBM 930 that I demo'd. The M600 is wider, not quite as tall, has more knee to knee legroom, a little less leg extension room. Overall, I prefer the M600 cockpit. Flying out of Colorado Springs today, nothing to do but take pictures of my legs and listen to airliners squawk about mountain waves.;-) Was bumpy, heard an airliner asking to descend to FL280 to get out of the bumps. Anyway, I am 6'2 200 lbs with a 34 inseam. I have not found the cockpit at all confining, although, there is a technique to get in that makes it much easier. I have found that to be the case in all cabin class aircraft though. Exception maybe the TBM with the pilot door. They did really improve the seats with the M600 again, though. Really comfy cabin.

View attachment 52632
View attachment 52634
How do you turn the yoke without hitting your knees?

No problem there. Maybe the picture makes it look closer than it really is.

I have to do some real maneuvering to get in the front seat of a king air 200. 5"10 150lbs. Just comes with the territory of a pressurized plane I guess. Its fine once you are seated and the pressurization/ac sure is nice.

I have to do some real maneuvering to get in the front seat of a king air 200. 5"10 150lbs. Just comes with the territory of a pressurized plane I guess. Its fine once you are seated and the pressurization/ac sure is nice.

I would have thought a king air would have had more room.

Honestly, I think some if not most of these reports come from people that heard misinformation from someone that knowns someone that sat in a Malibu once and propagated the misinformation. Most cabin class aircraft require a technique to get into place, the Malibu is not unique there. I knew a guy that had ruled out a PA46 because he had heard how tight the cockpit was reported to be. He was 6'3. I had him come out and sit in my Meridian. He was puzzled, it was very comfortable. The cabin is 50 inches wide. That is a little over 2 inches wider than a TBM. He is now in a new M500 (Meridian). I can tell you that before the M2 mods, the Meridian has more cockpit room than a stock CJ1 or M2 up front. It feels absolutely cavernous compared to a C172 or Aztec. The later planes do have some modifications of the cabin and seats that increase room for big and tall pilots, they also have fold flat seats that help. Need to have the seats all the way back, all the way down, and reclined a little for really big pilots. A lot of people over 6 feet and over 200 lbs flying these planes, so in essence, I think people confuse the technique needed to get into place in any cabin class plane, CJ1, M2, PC12, TBM without the pilot door, with the size of the cockpit once in place.

Anyway, if you are really fluffy, want to make it easy, you can drop the seats and roll in. ;)

View attachment 52190

I have flown one a couple of times. I'm 6'6" and 270. While the overall dimensions of the cockpit were not terribly small I found there was always something in the way of my body. It was very uncomfortable. I didn't accept the job offer to fly for the owner because of how uncomfortable I was in the seat. Often times I find comfort to be in the details, not necessarily in the gross dimensions. I also flew the beechjet and mitsubishi diamond jet. The aircraft were structurally identical but beech upgraded the seats and added more adjustment. The net result was the diamond jet was painful to sit in and I hated flying it. The Beech version was comfortable and I had no issues. I do however agree the malibu is not some awful little box designed for midgets and frankly its just good advice to test drive any airplane of interest rather than accept rumors to be factual.

Back