Harrison Ford avoids enforcement action for taxiway landing

I'm not positive, but I don't believe it's all that hard to set up. The company shouldn't really have an issue with it, and obviously the pilot group won't. Not sure exactly what's involved in the initial set up.
Many people here don't work as pilots, and some work for very small flight departments.

Even in a medium-sized company, it takes someone with incentive to set it up, since it involves management, the FAA, and the pilot group. It doesn't happen by itself.

Many people here don't work as pilots, and some work for very small flight departments.

Even in a medium-sized company, it takes someone with incentive to set it up, since it involves management, the FAA, and the pilot group. It doesn't happen by itself.
Well that's true... if there's no will, there's no way. It does take incentive... but it's worth it.

I'd like to think that his lack of punishment was purely due to the FAA's new 'compliance' push. But....

I'd like to think that his lack of punishment was purely due to the FAA's new 'compliance' push. But....
What punishment would you rather see, assuming he filed an ASRS ??

You need to get an ASAP program.

Did that.

Good program. Self confession to help others learn and not make the same mistakes.

I filed one last summer and never heard a peep from the FAA. In fact had to bring in the POI to make sure we did everything right.

Did that.

Good program. Self confession to help others learn and not make the same mistakes.

I filed one last summer and never heard a peep from the FAA. In fact had to bring in the POI to make sure we did everything right.
Well.... than your earlier post of losing pay for the professional was bogus.... Right??

I came across this today. It includes a visual presentation of the positions of the planes involved and then also the phone call that Ford made to the tower, as well as the phone call that the AA captain that was holding short made. I think he was nervous that maybe they screwed up and not Ford.

I came across this today. It includes a visual presentation of the positions of the planes involved and then also the phone call that Ford made to the tower, as well as the phone call that the AA captain that was holding short made. I think he was nervous that maybe they screwed up and not Ford.

The captions on that don't remotely match the dialog in some important ways. For example, when the AA captain says, "That's why I'm calling," they write it as, "Does it look like I'm wrong?"

The guy who runs that site and puts up transcribed captions is definitely not a native English speaker. He makes some bad blunders on fairly easy and common English phrases.

What punishment would you rather see, assuming he filed an ASRS ??
Personally, I'd like to see at least a 30 day suspension. Something. The guy landed on a friggin taxiway. Does anybody actually believe that if it had been any one of us, not a famous person with money, that the result would be the same?

Personally, I'd like to see at least a 30 day suspension. Something. The guy landed on a friggin taxiway. Does anybody actually believe that if it had been any one of us, not a famous person with money, that the result would be the same?
I think a very thorough 709 ride was in order and if he passed, then that should be the end of it. He screwed up, he owned up to it, and I don't think punishment is necessary for something completely unintentional that didn't result in an accident.

Yes, I believe that folks who present themselves well in such a situation can avoid serious sanction. Ford obviously fessed up from his tone in the call to the tower.

The outcome may well have been different if it had been a commercial flight or if there had been some sort of property damage or injury.

Are you not familiar with ASRS??

I think a very thorough 709 ride was in order and if he passed, then that should be the end of it. He screwed up, he owned up to it, and I don't think punishment is necessary for something completely unintentional that didn't result in an accident.

Maybe ... what's he going to do? Add RC to his GUMPs? (Runway confirmed)

Maybe ... what's he going to do? Add RC to his GUMPs? (Runway confirmed)
When someone over the age of 70 makes a serious mistake like this, I think it's reasonable to make sure they still have the cognitive skills required to be a pilot. I think a long chat and a flight into a busy airport to make sure he can stay ahead of the plane would be appropriate.

When someone over the age of 70 makes a serious mistake like this, I think it's reasonable to make sure they still have the cognitive skills required to be a pilot. I think a long chat and a flight into a busy airport to make sure he can stay ahead of the plane would be appropriate.
Yes, I agree. The whole series of events just screamed "poor situational awareness" which is dangerous for any pilot, and especially one flying into busy airspace. In someone Ford's age (or even mine, for that matter!), if that turns out to be an ongoing problem then maybe he shouldn't be flying. OTOH, anyone can have a bad day, and a 709 ride would sort that out.

I also agree that no punishment is warranted. It wasn't deliberate, he fessed up, just make sure he still has his marbles and let it go at that.

And how would this correct expectation bias? A punishment without learning is useless.

Yes, I think it would have been the same for you and me if we had behaved the same. It HAS been the similar for pilots who acted in a similar way. We are all going to make mistakes.

I'm good with this.

Landing on a taxiway is not in itself a violation. What is a violation is that he inadvertently failed to comply with an ATC instruction. How many here can honestly say that they have never failed to comply with an ATC instruction?

"Purely?" No, but perhaps in a different way than you mean.

I see the Compliance Philsosophy" as a system wide formalization of a process that has been going on for at least a few years at FSDOs. Not all, of course, and not with all inspectors, which is probably one reason it needed to be formalized.

Harrison Ford special? Of course! How many pilots would call the Tower with the first words out of their mouth being,"I'm the schmuck who landed on the taxiway." (I'm definitely using it it my next enforcement seminar!) What better way to publicize the new program than by treating a celebrity pretty much the way most would be treated under it?

I actually believe it.

Maybe not the "any" one of us part. It depend in part on how that "any" acts after the deviation.

Are you not familiar with ASRS??
My only beef with him not having some down time is that the Delta guys who landed the 767 on the taxiway at ATL had to sit on the ground several months before they were allowed to fly again and if you are familiar with the details, that situation was a lot more understandable than HFs mistake.

Yes, the Feds were holding the professionals to a higher standard, but still a more understandable situation.

My only beef with him not having some down time is that the Delta guys who landed the 767 on the taxiway at ATL had to sit on the ground several months before they were allowed to fly again and if you are familiar with the details, that situation was a lot more understandable than HFs mistake.

Yes, the Feds were holding the professionals to a higher standard, but still a more understandable situation.
I'm not familiar with the Delta mishap. How long ago was this?

I don't believe the FAA hit the Delta pilots with anything. Delta suspended them, though it's unclear how that played out.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB125816841453048137
WSJ said:
Two Delta Air Lines Inc. DAL -2.26% pilots who mistakenly landed a jetliner filled with 182 passengers on a taxiway at Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport last month are expected to avoid punishment, according to people familiar with the matter.

The weather and visibility were both good on Oct. 19, when the Delta pilots mistakenly landed their widebody Boeing 767 jet on a taxiway instead of a parallel runway. Despite the error, both pilots are expected to keep their licenses and their jobs, these people said. The pilots are currently suspended, but Delta intends to retrain them and return them to flight status.

. . . the FAA has concluded the Delta pilots involved in the Atlanta incident made an inadvertent mistake. At this point, the agency is focused on understanding the sequence of events and figuring out how to prevent them in the future.

The article goes on to contrast the incident with the Northwest one (where they overshot and were NORDO for an hour).

I'm not familiar with the Delta mishap. How long ago was this?
It was 2009. They were on an international flight from Rio that experienced a medical emergency (the check airman who happened to be the required relief pilot for the long flight fell ill during the flight). As a result, the flight crew through no real fault of their own was beyond the max flight time and admittedly fatigued. They were given three different runway changes during the approach and on the final change, they were gigged for failing to brief the NOTAMs during the approach briefing. One of those NOTAMs was the ILS for the assigned runway was out of service. So…FO is pre-occupied/distracted messing with the nav radio trying to figure out why they aren't getting the ILS and doesn't notice that the Captain lined up on the taxiway.

It looks like starglider was right….the FAA apparently didn't take action, but they remained suspended by DAL for something like 6 months before they were allowed back on the line.

It was 2009. They were on an international flight from Rio that experienced a medical emergency (the check airman who happened to be the required relief pilot for the long flight fell ill during the flight). As a result, the flight crew through no real fault of their own was beyond the max flight time and admittedly fatigued. They were given three different runway changes during the approach and on the final change, they were gigged for failing to brief the NOTAMs during the approach briefing. One of those NOTAMs was the ILS for the assigned runway was out of service. So…FO is pre-occupied/distracted messing with the nav radio trying to figure out why they aren't getting the ILS and doesn't notice that the Captain lined up on the taxiway.

It looks like starglider was right….the FAA apparently didn't take action, but they remained suspended by DAL for something like 6 months before they were allowed back on the line.
I guess there are no airports to divert to between Rio and Atlanta. The "no real fault" is just a bit hollow.

Personally, I disagree. If the FAA is going to punish someone what's the point of a little 30 day suspension, in my eyes, that does absolutely nothing in teaching the "party" a lesson. And as @midlifeflyer said, I do believe, under the same general circumstances as Ford except without the celebrity status, that the result would be the same.

He got off because of being a high profile celebrity that promotes aviation. If that were Joe Pilot like you or me there would have been some action. Having said that, I'm glad he got off. But an 'ordinary' pilot wouldn't have. Especially landing over a commercial passenger jet.

He got off because of being a high profile celebrity that promotes aviation. If that were Joe Pilot like you or me there would have been some action. Having said that, I'm glad he got off. But an 'ordinary' pilot wouldn't have. Especially landing over a commercial passenger jet.
What is the danger in landing over a passenger jet that you have in sight and pass over by 80'? I guess there's a possibility the wings will come off and the plane will fall straight down. He failed to follow an ATC instruction, but there wasn't any inherent danger.

What is the danger in landing over a passenger jet that you have in sight and pass over by 80'? I guess there's a possibility the wings will come off and the plane will fall straight down.

Well there you go. :D

In July, '07 I landed on Taxiway Lima at KPBI. (Since marked Taxiway all over it) no airliners anywhere. I was the 45th person that year to do it. "Call the tower". I said all the right things, filled out a form etc. 10 day suspension. Had to lawyer up cause the Atlanta FAA attorney was out for blood...Due to the adjustment on the expungement rule it's still on my record. I confirmed this recently with a FoiA request. Rather hard pill to swallow this...but I'm appreciative of the new stance by our benevolent regulatory body..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And as @midlifeflyer said, I do believe, under the same general circumstances as Ford except without the celebrity status, that the result would be the same.
Easy to prove your hypothesis. Land on a taxi way at a big Bravo airport and see what happens to you.

In July, '07 I landed on Taxiway Lima at KPBI. (Since marked Taxiway all over it) no airliners anywhere. I was the 45th person that year to do it. "Call the tower". I said all the right things, filled out a form etc. 10 day suspension. Had to lawyer up cause the Atlanta FAA attorney was out for blood...Due to the adjustment on the expungement rule it's still on my record. I confirmed this recently with a FoiA request. Rather hard pill to swallow this...but I'm appreciative of the new stance by our benevolent regulatory body..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:D

BTW, despite my obviously generally positive view of the Compliance Philosophy, I don't think benevolence has much to do with it.

I believe the FAA of today has a very large number of airman that personally witnessed the over zealousness and overreach of many of the inspectors of the FAA of yesterday. These new inspectors want to take less punitive measures in most instances than these old inspectors did and the compliance philosophy helps to embody this.

In reading some of these comments...I sure am glad that some of you aren't FAA. Please let me come fly with you and I seriously doubt we would leave the building without you making some type of error or violation. A violation prior to flying? Yes, it can and does happen. Case in point....very good friend of mine flew into an airport and was doing the walk around prior to the next flight and noticed a latch on an access door on the cowling had popped. Called for a mechanic and was told that he was on vacation and would take four hours to get another one to drive in...his mistake is he had already put it into the logbook. He talked with dispatch and maintenance control and was asked if he could just pop it closed and he did. FAA did an audit and saw a maintenance write up and delay and the logbook sign off was done correctly...maintenance tells us how to sign it off exactly and it is FAA approved. The problem was that he wasn't a licensed mechanic and the Fed was being an absolute total jerk and refused to use common sense. They went after my friend...HARD...to the tune of six months off the line flying. In my discussions with him he said his personal legal expenses were $100,000. He has since retired.

You can also be busted for a potential Gross Navigational Error over the Atlantic. We have had two crews that received amended over ocean clearances and the programming into the FMC was wrong..they caught it a few hundred miles prior to the point and corrected it. Violation filed against them for the POTENTIAL error.

709 rides? Suspensions? What good do they do and for what purpose other than harassment?

Lets carry this to the extreme and use it on this forum. (Not picking on you in particular but only for an example of how easy it is to err) Orange commented about doing this at a Bravo airport and it would be different...that was in error as it was a C airport....Forum Violation...you should have to go to computer class and have your computer access suspended....

Harrison Ford was treated differently because of his celebrity status? Not even close to reality. He was treated the way he was because he admitted his error and was compliant.

Some people shouldn't have a badge and a gun and some people shouldn't be in the FAA.

Back