Where are they now?

They take one look at some of the posts and decide this is not the place for them. Just sayin'...
This.. I didn't know women were being disrespect so badly on pms until a lady complained. Thought pilot were beyond the teen age boy phase. The plus the way a new female user is pounced on by way too many.

Maybe Mari and I see where we are now as what appears to us (correct me if I'm making improper assumptions) as a general degradation of the family feeling and friendly conversations we had when this board was stood up during the demise of the yellow board and its rebirth as the red board ... "things aren't like they used to be" and yeah, I'm a curmudgeon.

I tested this. Simply sort the posts so the oldest come up first.

He's right. I recognized very few of the names, and the threads were refreshingly on topic and civil.

BILL. I missed ya. Now we need Michael Driggs, Chip Gibbons and Brian Austin to show up. ;)

This may not be a popular statement, but I think POA has been a much better place without certain individuals.

That can be said of many online forums. Those who make other's lives miserable on line wouldn't think of doing so if their nose were in reach of the other guy's fist.

I'm around. I lurk mostly these days, as I don't usually have anything pertinent to add to a discussion. I'm not involved in GA very much anymore. When I'm not at work if I wanted to fly for fun it would take some serious changes in my lifestyle to be able to afford it. Also I am a world away from most of the topics/scenarios that are talked about. Hence what I would do in most of the situations talked about doesn't matter.

I've been flying up in Alaska for about 3.5 years now. (With a 6 month hiatus in there that I immediately regretted) It's a good living. I work hard, and on my time off I don't even really think about airplanes.

Confess on your days off you think about Spike don't cha?

Oh I think about all of you guys all the time, but the act of renting a plane on my time off to go bore holes in the sky really doesn't appeal that much anymore.

Oh I think about all of you guys all the time, but the act of renting a plane on my time off to go bore holes in the sky really doesn't appeal that much anymore.

Pro tip...Go somewhere.

I'm around. I lurk mostly these days, as I don't usually have anything pertinent to add to a discussion. I'm not involved in GA very much anymore. When I'm not at work if I wanted to fly for fun it would take some serious changes in my lifestyle to be able to afford it. Also I am a world away from most of the topics/scenarios that are talked about. Hence what I would do in most of the situations talked about doesn't matter.

I've been flying up in Alaska for about 3.5 years now. (With a 6 month hiatus in there that I immediately regretted) It's a good living. I work hard, and on my time off I don't even really think about airplanes.

I'm with ya, in Alaska I flew around 900-1000 hours a year. On my days off I was no where near an airport.

I didn't consider flying in southeast as real Alaska, but the living conditions were much better. I really enjoyed Ketchikan although I did not spend much time there. I would go back in a heart beat if I had the chance.

Even so... the image of you at Gaston's doing the Hasselhoff pose is one memory that will last forever.

The idea of flying on my time off isn't something I am against, it's just that spending $130/hr to fly some clapped out hunk doesn't really sound all that great. In a couple years I want to buy a cub or something similar, now THAT would be fun.

I got lots of things I need to figure out before I start seriously thinking about an airplane though...like where I want to live long-term lol. I'm homeless after this summer. I might just put all my junk in storage and travel on my time off. I'm not sure. Regardless I'm sure a girl will be involved in some way or another in my decision making process.

I got a buddy with an RV-7 who claims his cost per hour is $35 per hour.

I got lots of things I need to figure out before I start seriously thinking about an airplane though...like where I want to live long-term lol. I'm homeless after this summer. I might just put all my junk in storage and travel on my time off. I'm not sure. Regardless I'm sure a girl will be involved in some way or another in my decision making process.

Texas.

Alright what other problems can we solve?

The banter is usually harmless and represents a small percentage of the information presented on this forum....
So, if a girl can't see through the bs, take criticism and view the forum for its acceptable signal to noise ratio, then I feel sorry for them.

The irony of female's "struggle" for equality and then their complaining that they are treated as "one of the boys" in the usual hazing that takes place when joining any group is thick.

Ah, the once every 6 month where is? thread whereby the ol' "they got tired of the BS" gets thrown out only to be shutdown by "the people who are most in need of and most oblivious to the fact" of the amount of unnecessary BS... so in the end, nothing changes and the pedantic nitwits keep on with the pedanticism and the people who get tired of the BS keep leaving.... nothing to see here folks because only thin skinned people who can't filter out the BS leave.... :rolleyes:

I think some forget that participation here is entirely voluntary, in fact it takes a conscious act to come here. It's not like work, or school, or some other activities where people need to tolerate a certain amount of BS. The MC would like to create an environment where folks are not driven off by what some call "usual hazing".

I think some forget that participation here is entirely voluntary, in fact it takes a conscious act to come here. It's not like work, or school, or some other activities where people need to tolerate a certain amount of BS. The MC would like to create an environment where folks are not driven off by what some call "usual hazing".
Plus the Internet behavior that some people consider normal or usual is anything but acceptable in semi-polite society. A rubber snake in a desk drawer? No problem. A direct exposé based on the individual's sex? Not so acceptable. In other words make fun of navigation or landings, not of organic plumbing or organs.

Who else from the "part of the old gang" are we missing?

I'm alive! I was just reminiscing about my PoA gang when I looked at some old pictures. Definitely some fond memories of Gaston's, 6Y9, Wings, and our other meet-ups! I had somewhat of an aviation dry spell for a few years while I was mainly working a desk job without getting to fly very much on the side. This past fall, I decided that was enough of that, and it was time to go back to pursuing my passion no matter what hard work or sacrifices it would take. So here I am, a regional airline first officer flying CRJ200s, 700s, and 900s all over the eastern U.S., and I'm happy as a clam. I just recently pulled up roots and moved from Wisconsin to the Cincinnati area.

Hazing? Perhaps I've had my eyes closed for four years but I don't see that. Yes, this forum is predominantly male but women are welcome. Women with pilot's certificates and those who have contributions of value are welcome. I respect Cajun flyer for her spunk and ability to get along on a forum dominated by men. She asks and gives no quarter. Yes, we men are in the majority but we are flexible. One has to remember this is an internet forum and things sometimes get wild. That doesn't mean they are racist, sexist or have any other derogatory connotation. It's "caveat emptor", AKA the "Take what you get and like it cafe". Don't like what you see here? Time to move to greener pastures.

I moderated another forum for ten years but have never seen the impetus to change poster's minds like there appears to be here at times. Yes, I'm throwing out a challenge. Not asking you to change your mind, just saying you should moderate your moderation. The other forums I moderated required a vote of the board to censure/ban a poster. It should be the same here. No single moderator should have the power to ban someone based on a single post without board/ management committee approval.

This advice is worth precisely what you paid for it, but take it to heart. There were some banished for personal attacks. I'm OK with that, but simply telling someone they don't know what they are talking about doesn't relate them to the garbage bin. When I moderated I was challenged many times. I simply asked the board who should prevail, poster or moderator.

I'm alive! I was just reminiscing about my PoA gang when I looked at some old pictures. Definitely some fond memories of Gaston's, 6Y9, Wings, and our other meet-ups! I had somewhat of an aviation dry spell for a few years while I was mainly working a desk job without getting to fly very much on the side. This past fall, I decided that was enough of that, and it was time to go back to pursuing my passion no matter what hard work or sacrifices it would take. So here I am, a regional airline first officer flying CRJ200s, 700s, and 900s all over the eastern U.S., and I'm happy as a clam. I just recently pulled up roots and moved from Wisconsin to the Cincinnati area.

Glad to see you back, Kate! And glad to hear that you're flying. Sorry to hear you're in Cincinnati, though. ;)

Hazing? Perhaps I've had my eyes closed for four years but I don't see that.

Then I would say your eyes have been closed for the past 4 years. Add to that a significant level of male locker room talk and other inappropriate humor.

No single moderator should have the power to ban someone based on a single post without board/ management committee approval.

No single moderator has the power to ban someone on this forum. So your wish has been granted. As far as I know it's always been the policy, MC members who've been around longer than me can correct me if I'm wrong. The only time you see a user permanently banned (as opposed to a suspension or temporary ban) immediately is if that person is a spammer. Permanent bans end up being the result of a number of warning and several suspensions/temporary bans prior to the permanent ban. There is also usually direct and pointed communication with those individuals to explain what it is expected that they do differently.

As @Everskyward ward said above, participation in this forum is completely voluntary and our goal is to minimize the amount of BS people have to wade through in order to participate here. People are free to come and go as they please. My personal opinion is that I don't want to see people leaving because the atmosphere has too much BS. To me, that means the MC is not doing its job. Sure, some people are overly sensitive and you can't account for those, but most people I know who've left don't fall into that category. Mostly if people leave because they think the MC is overbearing, those are the folks that were contributing negatively to the atmosphere.

Don't like what you see here? Time to move to greener pastures.
I could point out that those who are unhappy with the tone the MC is trying to set can also move on to greener pastures, where there is less moderation.

I don't see anyone on the MC trying to change what people think. That would be futile. We are only asking people to be civil and behave like you might if you were meeting others in person. Remember that you are posting to a large group of people here, not just your like-thinking buddies.

Well, Ted and Mari, You moderate the forum and it is your call. Whether you see things as right or wrong is your choice. I'm of the belief that others may see things differently than you. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to make a point. There were times I was overruled by the board on my decisions. I had no choice but to accept that, and I did. Input from the posters was also given weight and decisions of the board were weighted on that.

From my observations it appears posts must be politically correct or they will be moderated. It also seems to apply only to some posters. I try to keep mine apolitical but that does not seem acceptable when challenging the MC. Freedom of speech seems to be in jeopardy given the attitude of the MC. I'm going to eat dinner now, but when I return if I find myself banned I will understand it was simply the work of the politically correct.

I have enjoyed this forum for four years and the information it has provided. OTOH, The management committee, with a few exceptions, has a dictatorial complex. That explains why some have left in disgust.

The above is personal opinion after four years of observation. Take it for what it is worth. If I'm banned I will simply consider I didn't meet your politically correct standards.

Well, Ted and Mari, You moderate the forum and it is your call. Whether you see things as right or wrong is your choice. I'm of the belief that others may see things differently than you. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to make a point. There were times I was overruled by the board on my decisions. I had no choice but to accept that, and I did. Input from the posters was also given weight and decisions of the board were weighted on that.

From my observations it appears posts must be politically correct or they will be moderated. It also seems to apply only to some posters. I try to keep mine apolitical but that does not seem acceptable when challenging the MC. Freedom of speech seems to be in jeopardy given the attitude of the MC. I'm going to eat dinner now, but when I return if I find myself banned I will understand it was simply the work of the politically correct.

I have enjoyed this forum for four years and the information it has provided. OTOH, The management committee, with a few exceptions, has a dictatorial complex. That explains why some have left in disgust.

The above is personal opinion after four years of observation. Take it for what it is worth. If I'm banned I will simply consider I didn't meet your politically correct standards.
Is it so hard to read the rules of conduct? It's not like they're making up rules on the fly, they're adhering to a set of rules that have been written down for eons. You're free to read them too!

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/help/RoC/

so much whining.

If I'm banned I will simply consider I didn't meet your politically correct standards.

To my knowledge, nobody has been banned for disagreeing with how the MC does the job or wanting them to change their ways. If they had, I would've been banned long ago. Some may remember I was a long time critic of the MC not doing enough moderating, based on my nearly 10 years of observation.

To my knowledge, nobody has been banned for disagreeing with how the MC does the job or wanting them to change their ways. If they had, I would've been banned long ago. Some may remember I was a long time critic of the MC not doing enough moderating, based on my nearly 10 years of observation.

Ted,

My objective is not to criticize but inform. It's a case of BTDT, complete with repercussions. There were days I erred in my judgement and was called down on that. Some referred to me as "The Sheriff". It was not intentional to be strict but was simply following the rules. The rules here are somewhat loose.

Last edited:
The MC is not the government, so we can insist that you play by the rules linked in @Mtns2Skies's post above.

IMO, you are positioning yourself as the governing authority. I think you should step down as an administrator.

That's just a personal opinion based on observation. Please take it for what it's worth without prejudice. My comments were in no way intended to be demeaning or harmful. I just wanted to point out that personal prejudices can cloud objective reasoning. The management committee should think of themselves as a court of law who only rules on the law and not let personal opinion enter the equation.

My post is not intended to be political. Decisions should be fair based on law and the rules of the forums

I rest my case..

Back