Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
what do you guys think.. other than...

-- No AOA, Chute
-- its slow
-- I will get bored in about a week

1974 Piper PA-28-151 with updated paint shows incredibly and rates a solid 8/10. The redone, period correct interior also a very respectable 8/10. 160hp ram overhauled engine sits in the cleanest engine compartment we have ever seen on a pre-owned bird. Only 735 hours SMOH, tons of life left. Hands down the easiest starting PA-28 we have ever seen. Upgraded avionics include Garmin GNS430, GTX-330 Mode S transponder, S-Tec 55X 2-axis autopilot with GPSS.

430 is non-WAAS
AFTT about 5k
RAM STC 160 HP

seller asking for 62K, did a AOPA and NAAA eval and they are swinging between 46-52K. so there is that. of course, pre-buy by MY A&P

Sounds expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NO. Buy a Cherokee 180.

You never ever regret the horsepower and payload and hot performance.

I would NEVER own a tricycle gear airplane with less than 180hp.

You can find one - you buy this and its $5k right out the door for ADSB-

Pricy for a 105kt bird. What's your budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its listed at 62k. I am looking for something b/w 50-55, have some plans to put a few things in like JPI 830, 4 point harness, G5 etc (I already know I wont get those money back)

Pass...it's overpriced. I had a much better equipped 180 and it wasn't worth 62K. Even had less time on the engine than this one.

NO. Buy a Cherokee 180.

Agree, and I have a 160HP (STC) Cherokee. At the time I bought it 10 years ago, there was about a 50% price premium for an Archer.

what do you guys think.. other than...

-- No AOA, Chute
-- its slow
-- I will get bored in about a week

1974 Piper PA-28-151 with updated paint shows incredibly and rates a solid 8/10. The redone, period correct interior also a very respectable 8/10. 160hp ram overhauled engine sits in the cleanest engine compartment we have ever seen on a pre-owned bird. Only 735 hours SMOH, tons of life left. Hands down the easiest starting PA-28 we have ever seen. Upgraded avionics include Garmin GNS430, GTX-330 Mode S transponder, S-Tec 55X 2-axis autopilot with GPSS.

430 is non-WAAS
AFTT about 5k
RAM STC 160 HP

seller asking for 62K, did a AOPA and NAAA eval and they are swinging between 46-52K. so there is that. of course, pre-buy by MY A&P
I spent a year looking at Cherokees before I bought mine, and I got to know their pricing...this one is waaaaaay over priced.

The horse power thing is up to you. Personally, I like the 140 and 160s depending on what you're going to do with it.

Now, the price,. WAY too expensive!!

yah I see the price is way too much and I will negotiate the hell out of it if my A&P says its even worth looking at. the same seller have a 172 XP listed at 90k.. so I see a trend here. about 160 vs 180 HP, I do not see a huge difference in speed, but I don't know jack about planes anyway. just to give everyone a sneak peak of how I travel.... I will drive 2000 miles (and I have done it numerous times) to visit LA rather than fly. its the journey that matters to me. if I have to be somewhere in a hurry, a SEL non-FIKI plane is surely not going to be my first choice. now, the climb perf is a whole different thing on a hot day in high DA, and I have no clue if 180 HP will make a huge difference over 160 HP

NO. Buy a Cherokee 180.

:yeahthat:

I rented a Cherokee 180 and put a lot of time on it early on, but I bought an older 160 because that is what I could afford at the time. As someone noted in another post the 180 premium back then was substantial. Stepped up to a 180 first chance I got once I saved enough money.

I flew the 160 everywhere, but it was sometimes painful, especially westbound from Oshkosh into the wind. The 180 is really the minimum airplane in the Cherokee line if you want to do any significant cross country travelling. The 180 makes a big difference in cruise, climb and useful load over the Warrior.

now, the climb perf is a whole different thing on a hot day in high DA, and I have no clue if 180 HP will make a huge difference over 160 HP
Very little at all. Turbochargers are what matters when flying in high DA conditions.

About the airplane, it sounds like a pretty decent bird and I would consider it, except as others have mentioned it's overpriced about ~$10k. If he will entertain lower offers, I'd say it would be worth your time to check into it!

Photos would be helpful as well if you have any. :)

As a cherokee 180 owner.....it's WAAAY overpriced. I wouldn't offer over $40k and see what happens. Actually, with the need for ADS-B, there's $5k right there. It's not legal for GPS approaches without WAAS, only enroute. Is the 430 the only radio? What's the CDI? What's the audio panel?

Last edited:
Can anyone here help @WannFly find a $50k airplane that is actually worth $50k? With the knowledge and resources on this board, we should be able to make this happen for him and others.

edit: Perhaps it should be equipped for FIKI, since he is based at KFAR.

Can anyone here help @WannFly find a $50k airplane that is actually worth $50k? With the knowledge and resources on this board, we should be able to make this happen for him and others.

Paging BenPilot, please pick up the white courtesy phone!

I fly a 151 with the 160HP upgrade. We have a 430W, KX155 as a second Nav/Com K76A Transponder and no Autopliot. Plane was painted in 94 and the plane is hangared. Interior is probably 7 or 8. Valued at $34K

Very little at all. Turbochargers are what matters when flying in high DA conditions.

About the airplane, it sounds like a pretty decent bird and I would consider it, except as others have mentioned it's overpriced about ~$10k. If he will entertain lower offers, I'd say it would be worth your time to check into it!

Photos would be helpful as well if you have any. :)
I don't have them yet other than what you can find on Barnstormer (244BM). the seller is sending me some, or so I hear.

lol.. yeah that will help. but if its icy.. I ain't flying. it gets very very cold out here, but actual icing is pretty less.. like this year had a few days, but that's about it. it gets too cold to snow or ice :D:D

As a cherokee 180 owner.....it's WAAAY overpriced. I wouldn't offer over $40k and see what happens. Actually, with the need for ADS-B, there's $5k right there. It's not legal for GPS approaches without WAAS, only enroute. Is the 430 the only radio? What's the CDI? What's the audio panel?

yet to get all those details. its listed on barnstormer, 244BM

wow. For what people are willing to plunk down on non-taper fixed-leg 28s (let alone tapers), I feel like I'm guilty of grand larceny every time I fly my Arrow LOL. What people pass up on the basis of interior and cosmetics.
#what50Kgetsyou

wow. For what people are willing to plunk down on non-taper fixed-leg 28s (let alone tapers), I feel like I'm guilty of grand larceny every time I fly my Arrow LOL. What people pass up on the basis of interior and cosmetics.
#what50Kgetsyou

If I just couldn't help putting money into a Cherokee panel or interior, it would have to be 200 hp or higher model.
The Arrows seem to be discounted by the gear fear.

Get a 180, it climbs so much better! I have a 180 and love it! Ive had mine going on 3 years and can tell you without a doubt that one is way over priced. That plane im thinking should be around 40k. Who wants period piece interior?! Heck I want new leather and when they spit out 8 out of 10...what they really mean is its a 5 out of 10. Trust me...

Can they guarantee tons of life left on the engine too?? PFFT!

If I just couldn't help putting money into a Cherokee panel or interior, it would have to be 200 hp or higher model.
The Arrows seem to be discounted by the gear fear.
Hey would you have any qualms flying in/out of here with the Aztruck, 4 hours of fuel and 1400# pax and luggage? Book says easy peasy, but those trees are intimidating half way down the runway...

http://www.airnav.com/airport/K16

Paging BenPilot, please pick up the white courtesy phone!
ROFLMAO!

4 years after his debut and he still hasn't purchased anything! His early stuff is still entertaining. Any chance you remember TonyAir?

The sweet spot in this category is the '73 and later 28-235. Slap some post-'78 wheel pants or aftermarket equivalent (full cover and strut) and watch out. 84 gallons on 11GPH (65%) and you're going somewhere between and Archer and an Arrow, which is a good compromise as far as fixed gear is concerned. Awesome range too. They're as common as hen's teeth though. Now that's a sucker that will climb 50 AMUs worth.

That de-rated 540 on my Arrow would be so sweet though. Instant forever airplane for this guy. Alas, Piper pooched it after the flood.

Get a 180, it climbs so much better! I have a 180 and love it! Ive had mine going on 3 years and can tell you without a doubt that one is way over priced. That plane im thinking should be around 40k. Who wants period piece interior?! Heck I want new leather and when they spit out 8 out of 10...what they really mean is its a 5 out of 10. Trust me...
I too like 180's. Now if I could just convince a certain owner to return the plane back to Denton, TX.....

ROFLMAO!

4 years after his debut and he still hasn't purchased anything! His early stuff is still entertaining. Any chance you remember TonyAir?
No, before my time I guess.

'78 PA-28-181 owner here.... I agree with the others saying it's overpriced.

I'm thinking 45-50k depending on just how nice the paint/interior is.

'78 PA-28-181 owner here.... I agree with the others saying it's overpriced.

I'm thinking 45-50k depending on just how nice the paint/interior is.
Yepp, both vref and naaa is between 45 and 52, I will probably offer something in the middle, but haven't even seen the logs yet...so too early

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Don't get emotionally committed to purchase ANY airplane until after the results of the independent mechanic's pre-buy inspection are in. Deal breakers might include significant corrosion and uncertain, potentially "service limits" provenance on the last engine overhaul.

Regarding density altitude ("DA"), no non-turboed airplane will climb really well above 12,000 ft but the Dakota and Skylane (~230 hp) will do better than the 160/180 hp passel of aircraft. Also, the Cherokee 140/Warrior models are notorious for poor climb above DA=10,0000 ft. If DA is a big concern for you, pay up for the Archer or buy a Cessna 172XP. BTW, I fly a C-172 with the O-320 D2J engine and Powerflow exhaust, probably about 175 hp. I am fine in the mountains, even on hot days, provided it is just me and maybe one passenger. Message: you can manage DA better with a light load in passengers and/or perhaps fuel.

About ownership in general: I think it is the only way to go if you fly >100 hr/year and can afford it. I absolutely love the freedom to fly throughout the West, over/around mountains, maybe to Mexico once in awhile; all without dealing with any FBO's annoying but perfectly understandable requirements (> 1500 hrs here), and of course the aircraft is nicely appointed and always available to me. I understand it may cost me more than driving (but not as much as spur-of-the-moment airline ticketing, even for one). BTW, I bought my airplane nine years ago with the thought I'd mostly be doing local hamburger runs. Instead, I've ended up flying it all over the West, over/around mountains, to Mexico, and coast-to-coast. I travel at a glorious 108 kt but I spent the money for an autopilot and a comfortable interior. A little extra speed is less important than you might think but range and comfort are both under-rated. I fly from the SF Bay Area to Tucson faster than I can get there door-to-door flying commercial (like with many flights, there is no nonstop service available), for example.

Enjoy,

Don

Back