Volzalum

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Volzalum
Cirrus SR22 crash in the Olympic Mountains
By Lewis Kamb
The Seattle Times
Rescue crews airlifted two people from Olympic National Park near Brinnon Sunday afternoon after a small plane they were flying in crashed into the snow-covered wilderness, the Washington Department of Transportation reported.

The occupants, whose names had not been released Sunday, each suffered non-life threatening injuries, WSDOT spokeswoman Barbara LaBoe said. They were taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

The Cirrus SR22 aircraft went down near Mount Jupiter shortly before 4 p.m., when the occupant of another aircraft reported hearing a mayday call. The downed plane’s emergency locator beacon also activated.

The distress signal was detected by satellites and forwarded to the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center at Tydall Air Force Base in Florida, LaBoe said. Officials at the base, in turn, alerted WSDOT. The pilot and passenger of the downed plane also was able to alert “overflying commercial aircraft on the emergency frequency,” LaBoe said.

The Washington Air Search and Rescue and a US Navy helicopter crew out of Whidbey Island searched for the downed plane. It was spotted sometime after 6 p.m., LaBoe said. The Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the cause of the crash.

Very strange. It does not appear that they pulled. And the footprint is Tiny.

Perhaps he somehow pulled up and stalled while going up a slope or something. This just seems really strange.

It looks steep. Maybe it came down under the chute and they cut it (to wrap up in it for warmth)? Strange indeed.

I just read another article about it. In the article they said the aircraft is equipped with a safety parachute but they do not know why the occupants did not elect to use it.

ELTs never work, right ?

Doesn't look like a chute deployment,looking at the fuselage,glad everyone is fine.

Very strange. It does not appear that they pulled. And the footprint is Tiny.

Perhaps he somehow pulled up and stalled while going up a slope or something. This just seems really strange.
Guys off to the back of the plane are standing on the chute. They wrapped it up so the whirlybird downwash doesn't drag the plane around.

Might be right. Too small a foot print for any other scenario. Add minor injuries. I think the news story that said it wasn't used was typical informed reporting.

Another save I guess.

Guys off to the back of the plane are standing on the chute. They wrapped it up so the whirlybird downwash doesn't drag the plane around.

Whatever is by them is dark. Cirrus chutes are eye-searing orange with white stripes. Unless the color degrades near repack time . . .

This photo is zoomed in too tight to tell much, but my first thought was CFIT into a hillside, but the non-life-threatening injuries belie that. Interested to hear more.

Damn. I'm back to "not a chute pull" the hatches definitely open where you would expect it. But I don't see any evidence of the line Cutters along the side. Perhaps they pulled and hit moment before those fired. I don't know

HT-helicopter-crash2-cf-170403_4x3_992.jpg

But no matter what that plane did not have a lot of forward momentum. There is no skidding whatsoever.

Whatever is by them is dark. Cirrus chutes are eye-searing orange with white stripes. Unless the color degrades near repack time . . .
Could be a replacement. I don't think there's a requirement to stay with the Cirrus chute upon the 10 yr. time frame just as long as it meets all the specs.

Wow, fifteen days! How many of us are ready to be in the wilderness for fifteen days?!?

Read the diary of Carla Corbus sometime... 16 year old girl and her parents. She and her mom survived 54 days (at least) in the Trinity mountains eating nothing but snow... Dad crashed his Cessna 195 in a storm. Basically the crash that led to the mandate of the ELT.

http://tinyurl.com/lzdptge

Read the diary of Carla Corbus sometime... 16 year old girl and her parents. She and her mom survived 54 days (at least) in the Trinity mountains eating nothing but snow... Dad crashed his Cessna 195 in a storm. Basically the crash that led to the mandate of the ELT.

http://tinyurl.com/lzdptge

Man how horrible. It's one thing to read this in a warm home near civilization; to actually have lived it is almost unimaginably awful.

I once thought the air force dudes had to do a bum task when they had to do their wilderness survival training, where they had to eat bugs or whatever; now I can appreciate taking the course for its benefits. Knowing what to eat could be the difference between life and death. Frankly, I would be in serious trouble.

Damn. I'm back to "not a chute pull" the hatches definitely open where you would expect it. But I don't see any evidence of the line Cutters along the side. Perhaps they pulled and hit moment before those fired. I don't know

View attachment 52500
yup....I'm with you....poor technique. :eek:

Bounce?....there was no bounce, it caught a wing and cartwheeled across the snow. How else does the tail fracture like that?

Could be a replacement. I don't think there's a requirement to stay with the Cirrus chute upon the 10 yr. time frame just as long as it meets all the specs.

And exactly where would one find one of these alleged alternate chutes that "meets all the specs"?

I'm pretty sure Cirrus and the FAA treat CAPS as an integrated system and there's unlikely to be any latitude to substitute components that are not OEM sourced. At the very least the potential thought of that would give Cirrus and it's CAPS component/system supplier(s) liability nightmares I would expect.

And exactly where would one find one of these alleged alternate chutes that "meets all the specs"?
Do a search. I was looking for a personal chute for myself and came upon a couple manufacturers who offer replacement systems for Cirrus and retro-fits for several other types of aircraft.

Do a search. I was looking for a personal chute for myself and came upon a couple manufacturers who offer replacement systems for Cirrus and retro-fits for several other types of aircraft.

I don't think they replace the chute. Just the rocket.

Sorry, no joy with that effort. Maybe there is a substitute supplier of the chute, but I could not find one.

Has to be repacked at an authorized Cirrus service center, has to be done by a service tech trained by Cirrus, because there are explosives involved these service centres also come under Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives, Cirrus owns the rocket design, BRS produces the chutes. That's all I could find.

Hmmm.... Partial CAPS deployment? Looks like it came in pretty nose low, stuffed in the snow and slid forward maybe 3 feet. Could not have had too much airspeed.

Hmmm.... Partial CAPS deployment? Looks like it came in pretty nose low, stuffed in the snow and slid forward maybe 3 feet. Could not have had too much airspeed.
I think you are correct.

Here is the before photo. There are some artifacts below that pax window in the after photo that look like they could be portions of the CAPS having not completed the process. Totally explains the nose low impact appearance.

15695219689_1b0aa5ceec_b.jpg

I think you are correct.
Here is the before photo. There are some artifacts below that pax window in the after photo that look like they could be portions of the CAPS having not completed the process. Totally explains the nose low impact appearance.

I wonder if it could have been a spin impact instead. It seems the right wing moved a lot more snow than the left, and might explain why the left wing tip is ripped off like that. Odd indeed.

Sorry, no joy with that effort. Maybe there is a substitute supplier of the chute, but I could not find one.
Read this. I'm guessing the couple manufacturers of the personal chute I looking for, were also "Cirrus certified" to provide repacks and replacement systems.

Read this. I'm guessing the couple manufacturers of the personal chute I looking for, were also "Cirrus certified" to provide repacks and replacement systems.

Looks to me the only supplier of the Cirrus chute itself is BRS. Buy a new one or have the Cirrus service center supply an overhauled one on repack day, but they are all from one supplier.

I'm thinking the CAPS cover, like the avionics bay panel, came off after ground impact. Missing panels and broken tail would be explained by a cartwheel, coming in steeply and catching get the gear with enough speed to flip two times (onto the roof, then again onto its belly). That would leave a small secondary impact site like we are seeing, along with tail and wing damage.

Need more information, and a wider angle photo.

Looks to me the only supplier of the Cirrus chute itself is BRS. Buy a new one or have the Cirrus service center supply an overhauled one on repack day, but they are all from one supplier.
Could be, I just noticed a couple of the places I was looking for a personal chute, they also specified they provide BRS systems for Cirrus and other GA aircraft. I wasn't looking for a Cirrus chute, just a personal one, so I didn't delve into it any further.

Probably oogling all the shiny screens in the panel and forgot to look outside.

Another angle. Looks like they just stuck it in the snow. There are worse places to crash. Lots of search and rescue assets nearby with the Coast Guard and Navy. Harbor View Medical Center in Seattle is also one of the top trauma centers in the country. This article http://abcnews.go.com/US/survive-plane-crashes-olympic-national-park/story?id=46550629 claims that it was an instructor and student and that they are both in the ICU at Harbor View.
HT-helicopter-crash2-cf-170403_4x3_992.jpg

Back