C170 and Grumman Tiger midair - fatal - central Florida

Supposedly took off from Spruce Creek and were part of a formation flight of 6. RIP and condolences to family and friends.

So they both knew the other was there. Damn.

i hope they dont find out someone was playing with there knobs on there fancy glass not looking outside. guess we will never know .sad news

Last edited:
Well if they were flying formation, chances are it wasn't an "playing with knobs" issue. If the NTSB can get enough of what's left to determine the positions they were in when they came together it might tell a good bit of the story. If they weren't operating together than it's almost certainly going to end up one of those "mutual failures to see and avoid thing" but they'll likely see if they can do a study of the relative flight pants and what the views out the relative windows are as part of the investigation. It's happened before. We might not get a definitive sequence of events, but as with most accidents, we'll learn something going forward.

they were not flying in formation at that time or so i was told

There are several Tiger pilots that frequent the Grumman Gang board that I belong to. Not much info there as of yet. Does anyone have anymore information?

Very sad. Prayers for the families.

No names released as yet but one plane registered to Spruce Creek resident. One pilot was female.

No names released as yet but one plane registered to Spruce Creek resident. One pilot was female.

Not having good feeling about this. The Grumman pilot I know does fly formation, and is based out of Spruce Creek.

It's been a tough year for the folks at the Creek, it seems. That is 6 deaths in the last 12 months, in 3 crashes, if memory serves.

I am friends with about a dozen people at "the Creek". I fly in there frequently. Everytime I hear a story like this I fear it is someone I know. That hasn't happened yet, but in almost every case, someone that I do know, knows the parties involved. It gets real sad. I can't explain it. All the people I know there all seem competent and safety conscious. I am holding my breath waiting to hear the names this time, but whether I know them or not, it will still be tragic to all of us.

Tiger pilot's name was Ann (I'll leave off the last name). Don't have the other pilots name, but they are reported by a local pilot as being part of a group of very proficient formation flyers. Something went terribly wrong.

Condolences to all family and friends.

Back