Dog attack....what do I do?

Nick...............call me ASAP.................... and while there is some great advice here Piper is not an Alpha Roll canidate. He's a little on the shy side and I have a much better idea that doesn't involve posturing. Also, he does feel bad that he bit you .............. he's only reacting to you tone and your posture.

I think this has turned into an interesting and useful discussion. My wife and I have long been too haphazard with training. More by accident, I think, than design, a succession of one Irish setter and four Siberian huskies have all turned well (one Siberian was an alpha *****, and she was a handful until we got a dog and then they beat up on each other, but never visciously).

Our remaining ***** is getting really old (pushing 14), and when she goes, we'll pay more attention about training with the next dog(s). We're agreed that we'll use a professional trainer when the time comes.

Like Maria (who IS a trainer) and others have said, you need some help dealing with this. It's not an unusual situation, it's treatable and it's something you guys can deal with. Just don't go all macho with it. You and Piper need to meet with someone that can help you with this face to face.

Also, he does feel bad that he bit you .............. he's only reacting to you tone and your posture.

OK that was supposed to be He DOESN'T feel bad that he bit you

Nick...............call me ASAP.................... and while there is some great advice here Piper is not an Alpha Roll canidate. He's a little on the shy side and I have a much better idea that doesn't involve posturing. Also, he DOESN'T feel bad that he bit you .............. he's only reacting to you tone and your posture.

Come on Sherri, share the knowledge. BTW how's Roscoe doin?

You know, the whole "Alpha Roll" thing sounds like a half a**ed challenge to the dog to me. You either do things all the way, or not at all.

Last edited:
Nick,

I'm sorry to hear about this, and I'm sorrier to interject a legal aspect into it. It's probably already occurred to you, but if it hasn't, you're now on notice that your dog might have some kind of behavioral problem. Meaning that if he goes out and bites a neighbor or a little girl riding a bike, and you haven't taken adequate steps to prevent that, you'll be in a world of hurt, with both criminal and civil penalties.

I don't know the first thing about dog training, but I urge you in the strongest possible way to find someone who does.

I hope this works out.

That is one of the perplexing things about this. I always walk by and tap his head, rub his throat, and playfully push him around. I can also often put him on his back and rub his belly, without a single objection. He gave every sign that he was submissive until last night.

I feel horrible right now, its all I can think about at work, because it was so weird to see that side of sweet wonderful Piper. To see his evil side was disturbing to say the least, and its scary. I have to break him of this, because by taking his bone, I pretty much did what any child would do trying to play, and had I been a child, I'd have a broken arm or be dead right now.

Scary.

Did he get into the neighbors meth lab?

Piper is acting this way because he either thinks he's alpha or he intends to become alpha. Either way, the "final option" probably isn't required. As Henning said, you will need to establish your dominance in a way Piper can understand. Do some research, buy some books, and work with Piper. By all means keep young children away from him until he gets it together again. Dave may be able to offer more input.

Good luck! You and Piper can get through this.

Originally Posted by mantakos
I've never seen the need to cut off a dog's wind-pipe, and frankly, I think that's a bit ridiculous, -harry

I'll second what Harry said.

OK, this has been a great thread, and I have learned a lot (including, I have been very lucky with my dogs).

But I have to add this... someone has to...

...sniff his ass!

I'm not gonna say the joke, but the punchline is:

Wish I could do that.
You can, but if I were you I'd feed him first.

Nick, I wish you well with Piper. The "final option" really shouldn't be an option at this point. Take what others have offered and fix the problem. Good luck!

You can go to all he trouble others here have proposed, but are you ever really going to trust him? I'd say cut your losses. It's just a dog.

You can go to all he trouble others here have proposed, but are you ever really going to trust him? I'd say cut your losses. It's just a dog.
You're not a pet owner/animal lover, are ya? :eek:

This is coming from someone who thought himself too hard-hearted to cry over a cat nearly dying and subsequently paying nearly $500 in vet bills.

Nick,

With the latest dog we ended up using (over my strenuous objection) one of the "zappers." It's like the "invisible fence" but it's triggered by a remote control instead. Dog bites you, he gets shocked. It'll take about two times before he gets it.

As much as I hated it, I can't argue with the results and it's been good for him in the long run. Combined with other methods (and the other methods first and foremost), he's now trained to not go into the street (or onto any pavement) by himself and that sort of thing unless he's "heeling" with a human. Now, we don't need a leash to take him for a walk - Out the "gate" (the only place he's allowed to exit from the yard, and only with a person) and start walking down the street. He'll run around some on his own, but when he comes to the next crossing street he'll sit, wait for me to catch up, walk across the street with me, and then take off, chase rabbits, etc. It lets him just be a dog for the most part, and keeps him safe too. :)

Whatever you do, best of luck to you both. :yes:

Nick,

With the latest dog we ended up using (over my strenuous objection) one of the "zappers." It's like the "invisible fence" but it's triggered by a remote control instead. Dog bites you, he gets shocked. It'll take about two times before he gets it.

As much as I hated it, I can't argue with the results and it's been good for him in the long run. Combined with other methods (and the other methods first and foremost), he's now trained to not go into the street (or onto any pavement) by himself and that sort of thing unless he's "heeling" with a human. Now, we don't need a leash to take him for a walk - Out the "gate" (the only place he's allowed to exit from the yard, and only with a person) and start walking down the street. He'll run around some on his own, but when he comes to the next crossing street he'll sit, wait for me to catch up, walk across the street with me, and then take off, chase rabbits, etc. It lets him just be a dog for the most part, and keeps him safe too. :)

Whatever you do, best of luck to you both. :yes:

I have one of those collars in my storage unit. I used it a few times, but felt like a bastard everytime I did. I guess that's what I needed to do.

I appreciate the advice everyone, I've already started dominating the crap outta Piper, and I know he can tell, because he's acting weird (almost depressed) all day today. Maybe that means he's relinquishing the control I didn't realise he had?

My dogs are crate trained from puppies. Do not get the wrong idea about crating a dog. They find comfort in the crate and do enjoy being in a small confined area, kinda like being in a den. That's natural for them. I've used crating as a way to control behaviors when I can't be there to train and direct them. There's nothing wrong or in humane for them to be crated for up to 6 hours. There are some tips like not to feed them or over water them prior to crating. My point is that crating is not cruel and is good for them. My dogs, now that they are adults, will go to their crates on their own now and I don't close the doors. When they want to be alone or sleep they go to the crate. That is their quite, safe place.

Best wishes,
Rick

Again, another example of you need to know how a dog thinks, not a human's interpretation of it.

Crate training is not doggie jail. Crate training is providing the dog with his den, his place. Follow Rick's example. Although I expect that since he's grown up without one, it would be quite foreign to him at this point.

If anything is being said here, it is this is a very fixable problem.

Last edited:
I guess I unintentionally trained my dog to be submissive... when she was a puppy she'd get playing and nip at you with those sharp nursing teeth, I'd grab her and flop her on her back and roll her back and forth with my hand up on her neck... only out of necessity since that's the only place she couldn't get those razor teeth of her on me. :D Once she'd settled down, I'd let her go and then 15 minutes later we'd be doing the same thing again (who knew labs were so stubborn... :D )

I second crate training... Alley loves her's, and most of the time that's where she spends time napping. It's her own little space.

Another option for you is see if a trainer will take Piper for a little while. I had a g/f that trained dogs, she would take in problem dogs and the pace at which the behavior would stop is pretty amazing. A couple days usually. She'd usually keep the dogs for about two weeks, working with them several times a day. Then when you get Piper back, keep up the sessions with the same trainer. Before long that'll be the best dog in the world.

Some great advice here. I apologize if this was already mentioned (my attention span is deficient this morning and I haven't read every word), but another important thing: be consistent. I say this because it's true, and I'm also really bad at it. I think the reason our dogs are so well behaved is that my husband is the alpha dog and very consistent. That gives me the freedom to be one of the pack, although they seem to understand that I'm the beta dog. I actually worry about what kind of dog owner I'd be on my own.

The other thing I learned from my husband is the "on top" thing. Our little dog keeps trying to step on my feet. I thought she was just trying to get close, but my husband pointed out that she's trying to dominate me (she's definitely the gamma dog). Now I pull my feet away, and just that little act does change her attitude. It's quite amazing.

Judy

Back