Nice call from HSV

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
Last night the airport called and said they would be closing the taxiway in front of my hangar this weekend so I need to move my plane Friday to be able to fly this weekend. I thought that was nice since two weeks ago I didn't find out the taxiway was closed until I got to the airport. I know, I know, I could have called the ATIS but I was at the golf course by the airport and just thought I'd swing by for a quick hop.

That is nice. A lot of times I only get an email saying when things are going to be closed. I don't suppose they offered any discount in the rent since you can't use your hangar? ;)

I didn't think so...

Agreed, that is pretty nice.
Our FBO hosted a huge Fecesbook festival and cut off dozens of airplane owners from the hangars without warning.
I got lucky that I drove to the airport the night before and noticed a DOT road sign warning of increased traffic for the event.
I asked our FBO management and got the typical millenial response that it's all over Fecesbook and I should have seen it. After inquiring about the possibility to send out at least a warning email to customers in the affected hangars, I was informed that some "newsfeed blast" (or something silly like that) will go out to all subscribed members. WTH?
I politely requested that they actually send a real email to all affected PAYING customers. No email till today.
I wonder whether some rich guy with a big jet got blocked in and raised hell, that would make me happy. Cuz the kids running this FBO surely do not understand the value of proper communication.
But hey, when my rent is a few days late, they call, text, email, all of a sudden they know how to get ahold of me! :D

At the previous airport where I was based, they always contacted customers way ahead of time. But then again, the airport manager is sharp and she keeps the place running like clockwork. And she loves airplanes too! :)

Off my soapbox now.
Lucky you, you got a phone call.

I got the same call, and the girl was nice about it.

They seem willing to "move the barricades" if I want to get my plane out while the taxiway is closed. I expressed concern over the plan to move the planes to the north ramp because we've been having storms lately.

On the whole, it's been a good 4 years here with no reason to complain other than the 3" of standing water in my hangar after harsh rains and the leaks in the roof right over my wings (and gas cap), but they're trying to fix both of those, so....

Think there's enough PoA members around HSV for a meetup?

Our airport has an email blast that lets you know about such things. We get shutdown periodically for hangar construction, taxiway repaving, and of course, once a year for the airfest.

For you HSV guys….what was the story with the Cirrus that blew a tire and shut down 18L yesterday?

didnt know it was, but it was very windy yesterday. if i go flying today, ill ask the fuel guy.

Agreed, that is pretty nice.
Our FBO hosted a huge Fecesbook festival and cut off dozens of airplane owners from the hangars without warning.
I got lucky that I drove to the airport the night before and noticed a DOT road sign warning of increased traffic for the event.
I asked our FBO management and got the typical millenial response that it's all over Fecesbook and I should have seen it. After inquiring about the possibility to send out at least a warning email to customers in the affected hangars, I was informed that some "newsfeed blast" (or something silly like that) will go out to all subscribed members. WTH?
I politely requested that they actually send a real email to all affected PAYING customers. No email till today.
I wonder whether some rich guy with a big jet got blocked in and raised hell, that would make me happy. Cuz the kids running this FBO surely do not understand the value of proper communication.
But hey, when my rent is a few days late, they call, text, email, all of a sudden they know how to get ahold of me! :D

At the previous airport where I was based, they always contacted customers way ahead of time. But then again, the airport manager is sharp and she keeps the place running like clockwork. And she loves airplanes too! :)

Off my soapbox now.
Lucky you, you got a phone call.
The "kids" must report to some adult; i'd raise some hell.

BTW, the Fecesbook thing isn't confined to punk-ass kids. I found out about my 40th HS reunion via an old friend, quite by accident. The "announcement" was in the HS Fecesbook page, don't you know. I don't have a Fecesbook account. Of course I still have family living at the address of the house I lived in during HS, no snail mail. This led me to realize that the "cool kids" were running things and the cliques still exist 4 decades later. So, pass.

I got the same call, and the girl was nice about it.

They seem willing to "move the barricades" if I want to get my plane out while the taxiway is closed. I expressed concern over the plan to move the planes to the north ramp because we've been having storms lately.

On the whole, it's been a good 4 years here with no reason to complain other than the 3" of standing water in my hangar after harsh rains and the leaks in the roof right over my wings (and gas cap), but they're trying to fix both of those, so....

Think there's enough PoA members around HSV for a meetup?
Put tarps over the wings until they fix the roof.

didnt know it was, but it was very windy yesterday. if i go flying today, ill ask the fuel guy.

Winds were strong, but right down the runway at the time. I didn't see it happen, but taxied past him (sideways to the runway) leaving Signature.

Winds were strong, but right down the runway at the time. I didn't see it happen, but taxied past him (sideways to the runway) leaving Signature.
Cool! What were you flying?

If you can stop sometime, definitely check out Chuck Wagon BBQ. It's pretty close to the airport, and probably the best BBQ in town ('cause it's Texas style, not Alabama style).

Cool! What were you flying?

If you can stop sometime, definitely check out Chuck Wagon BBQ. It's pretty close to the airport, and probably the best BBQ in town ('cause it's Texas style, not Alabama style).
I was in the Beech 18. I'll have to checkout the BBQ next time.

I was passing through trying to get ahead of the wall of t-storms. Landed just before midnight on Wed and left yesterday morning.

Not a bad airport for a stop over.

BTW, the Facebook thing isn't confined to punk-ass kids.

Yeah, that's what I found most amusing in his rant. Kids are on snapchat, kik, instagram. Month by month Facebook continues to lose that demographic and become more and more middle aged!

@BigBadLou and @paflyer you can knock social media all you want, but it's how a lot of people communicate these days, sometimes as a primary method. Businesses use it and while it may offend you, it does bring in a lot of traffic and new audiences. Especially in up and coming demographics.

I work with a lot of different companies and the fact is if you aren't on social media, you may get left behind. There are people who opt out of every form of communication OTHER than snail mail. That is their right, but it's the 80/20 rule. If you invest time and money into cultivating your market through Facebook and other social media and you earn more business that way, that's the way people are going to market.

It's not unreasonable to expect FBOs and other organizations to use the tools they have available to reach their audiences. Those that choose not to participate miss things. It IS unreasonable to spend marketing dollars or even communication dollars using every single method available to communicate every little thing. You pick your channels and use those.

Instant notification is most often through social media these days, like it or not. It takes a few moments to tweet or post something on Facebook and..it gets more attention. Universities use Twitter for campus emergencies and Facebook for notifications. Social media isn't going away guys...I'll get off your lawn now :)

@cgrab I'm glad your FBO did that instead of a passive form of notification. That kind of thing sets some companies apart from each other.

"Social Media" is fine if you're looking for page views. It's fine for posting baby pictures. It sounds great in a buzz word laden power point deck.

It had better not be the way you notify me you're denying me access to my airplane. You call my ass and you make SURE I got the message.

@BigBadLou and @paflyer you can knock social media all you want, but it's how a lot of people communicate these days, sometimes as a primary method. Businesses use it and while it may offend you, it does bring in a lot of traffic and new audiences. Especially in up and coming demographics.

I work with a lot of different companies and the fact is if you aren't on social media, you may get left behind. There are people who opt out of every form of communication OTHER than snail mail. That is their right, but it's the 80/20 rule. If you invest time and money into cultivating your market through Facebook and other social media and you earn more business that way, that's the way people are going to market.

It's not unreasonable to expect FBOs and other organizations to use the tools they have available to reach their audiences. Those that choose not to participate miss things. It IS unreasonable to spend marketing dollars or even communication dollars using every single method available to communicate every little thing. You pick your channels and use those.

Instant notification is most often through social media these days, like it or not. It takes a few moments to tweet or post something on Facebook and..it gets more attention. Universities use Twitter for campus emergencies and Facebook for notifications. Social media isn't going away guys...I'll get off your lawn now :)

@cgrab I'm glad your FBO did that instead of a passive form of notification. That kind of thing sets some companies apart from each other.
To force people into using a "service" that is well known to invade your privacy, collect your data (which they now own- read the TOS) and sell anything you contribute (including your browsing habits) to anyone who will pay is ********.

"Social Media" is fine if you're looking for page views. It's fine for posting baby pictures. It sounds great in a buzz word laden power point deck.

It had better not be the way you notify me you're denying me access to my airplane. You call my ass and you make SURE I got the message.

You had better get that in writing, because I can guarantee you not everyone is going to do that. Those that do are great!

To force people into using a "service" that is well known to invade your privacy, collect your data (which they now own- read the TOS) and sell anything you contribute (including your browsing habits) to anyone who will pay is ********.

No one's forcing you. You either use it or you don't. As I said, it's an easy to use and highly effective way to reach people these days, especially the younger crowd.

Better throw your cell phone away though because that collects and sells stuff too. Oh and get rid of whatever ISP you are connected to right now as you post this message, etc...

Where's myspace? Where's AOL? Where's compuserve?

You're clearly in love with the current implementation of social media, and that's great. It's good to be young. But the current landscape of "social media" isn't static. It's a wave front. Are you seriously suggesting that critical notifications not only be delivered by social media ('cause kids, or something) but that the tenants remain current with the flavor of the day?

I'll reread my tenant agreement, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a requirement (or even a suggestion) to join an HSV tenant facebook group. Will I be notified when they move to whatever replaces facebook, or am I just supposed to know?

lol.

Can you imagine the chaos if we had to join the facebook groups for every airport along a route just to get NOTAMS. And hey, sorry you missed the icing pirep... ZME tweeted it an hour ago.

Where's myspace? Where's AOL? Where's compuserve?

You're clearly in love with the current implementation of social media, and that's great. It's good to be young. But the current landscape of "social media" isn't static. It's a wave front. Are you seriously suggesting that critical notifications not only be delivered by social media ('cause kids, or something) but that the tenants remain current with the flavor of the day?

I'll reread my tenant agreement, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a requirement (or even a suggestion) to join an HSV tenant facebook group. Will I be notified when they move to whatever replaces facebook, or am I just supposed to know?

I never said it was static, however critical notifications ARE being delivered via social media. I'm not suggesting anything, it's already happening. @BigBadLou already provided evidence, but if you need more, it ain't just airports that are doing it.

Penn State for example uses social media for emergencies. It's today's version of "push" communications. Imagine this, you're a student and there's a shooting on campus. You've got your cell phone on and you get an immediate notification of what's happening and what to do. Is the campus going to send that message via an expensive SMS system that you have to maintain? Or are you going to shoot a tweet out via a sanctioned campus twitter account that is free and is equally as fast?

It's not the flavor of the day, it's not some fad that is going away. It's here to stay. And while Facebook OR twitter may not be here forever, the fact remains that social media IS an effective way to communicate for not just "the kids", but everyone.

If you want the whole picture of what's going on with a company you don't just read a few articles on wall st. journal. If you want to know what's going on at a business you can't just read a flier in the FBO. Why should someone tell you to check out Facebook? It's not new. That's one of the first things I do when I join a club or an organization..go check for a social media presence.

Do people really need to be told to check out Facebook? Really? It may not be the method you use personally, but c'mon..

Last edited:
No one's forcing you. You either use it or you don't. As I said, it's an easy to use and highly effective way to reach people these days, especially the younger crowd.

Better throw your cell phone away though because that collects and sells stuff too. Oh and get rid of whatever ISP you are connected to right now as you post this message, etc...
You must be a stockholder.

I never said it was static, however critical notifications ARE being delivered via social media. I'm not suggesting anything, it's already happening. @BigBadLou already provided evidence, but if you need more, it ain't just airports that are doing it.

Penn State for example uses social media for emergencies. It's today's version of "push" communications. Imagine this, you're a student and there's a shooting on campus. You've got your cell phone on and you get an immediate notification of what's happening and what to do. Is the campus going to send that message via an expensive SMS system that you have to maintain? Or are you going to shoot a tweet out via a sanctioned campus twitter account that is free and is equally as fast?

It's not the flavor of the day, it's not some fad that is going away. It's here to stay. And while Facebook OR twitter may not be here forever, the fact remains that social media IS an effective way to communicate for not just "the kids", but everyone.

If you want the whole picture of what's going on with a company you don't just read a few articles on wall st. journal. If you want to know what's going on at a business you can't just read a flier in the FBO. Why should someone tell you to check out Facebook? It's not new. That's one of the first things I do when I join a club or an organization..go check for a social media presence.

Do people really need to be told to check out Facebook? Really? It may not be the method you use personally, but c'mon..
:eek: I can't believe what foolish saps the current generation has fostered...

If I was forced to "join" something I find troublesome just to get "notifications" I'd make it a federal case.

BTW, a big honking set of sirens solves your "active campus shooter" scenario. Better yet, get rid of idiotic "gun free zones."

Not a one size fits all; different media for different messages, different purposes, and different urgency. In the OP situation, sounds like e-mail would have been fine, and the phone call was a luxury.

Municipalities, schools, and utilities all have reverse 911 systems they use for the most urgent and important messages.

My son went through the college admissions rat race last year. Schools said they would twit when announcements were ready, so I reluctantly signed up for twitter and "followed" the handful of admissions offices. But then I got a bunch of other stuff I didn't care about. As soon as we were through that process I deleted that app.

I can still remember the day when you couldn't take it for granted that everyone had a phone. You either mailed them or drove to their house or sent the sheriff.

You must be a stockholder.

:eek: I can't believe what foolish saps the current generation has fostered...

If I was forced to "join" something I find troublesome just to get "notifications" I'd make it a federal case.

BTW, a big honking set of sirens solves your "active campus shooter" scenario. Better yet, get rid of idiotic "gun free zones."

Re read my post about no one forcing you to do anything. I'm not even going to waste my breath articulating why sirens aren't enough.

If the best response you can come up with is that I must be a stockholder then you clearly aren't worth my time.

Last edited:
Re read my post about no one forcing you to do anything. I'm not even going to waste my breath articulating why sirens aren't enough.

If the best response you can come up with is that I must be a stockholder then you clearly aren't worth my time.
58177497.jpg

Last night the airport called and said they would be closing the taxiway in front of my hangar this weekend so I need to move my plane Friday to be able to fly this weekend.
Nice of them to let you know in advance. A T hanger here is about $85,000.00 and you still need to pay the airport $150.00 a month for the leased space.

The younger crowd's love and trust of their mobile devices and companies like FB is pretty entertaining.

Tossing a little "active shooter" and a little "you won't know what's happening inside a company" in there was delicious frosting on the cake. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

You'll know what's going on at a company through their social media... ahhh ROFLMAO I'm dying here. I about fell off the couch laughing.

Oh, the trust levels of the young. Must be nice to think stuff works that way.

Next someone's going to say social media is the best place for news, and I'm going to need hernia surgery when I bust a gut laughing at them. First for thinking they need (or can act on) that much "news" and second because they think it's actually news.

OMG this thread is funny.

I hear that Zuckerberg the Great thinks he's going to save the planet with Facebook, too. He's gone full loon, but damn is it entertaining. I think I'll go see if his algorithms have found me some more funny cat videos now. LOL.

This.

Marketing is one thing. Serving your existing customers/ clients is another

Living in a condo, came back from a two week work trip, and reported my car stolen from our lot. . .that evening a board guy stopped by, said they had to tow my car, since I failed to move it for scheduled lot repairs - "everyone" was notified.

They put up some signs a few days after I left, giving two day's notice. And had emailed "everyone". Apparently missed me, not that it would have mattered, since I was already gone.

I gently explained to him I'd be renting a car until mine was returned, and the association would be paying for it. Short version, the association legal guy told them to get the car back to me ASAP and eat the cost.

It's a light lift to regain your privacy, phone and ISP; plenty of tools exist to do so, and not a lot of tech experise required to use them. You don't need to trash your phone or drop the Internet to avoid the "collection" of your digital footprints.

I was at the airport when the Barron blew the tire. I was about to move my plane back to the hangar but the line guys couldn't give me a ride back so I waited...and waited...for them to get a mechanic, get a liability waiver form signed by the owner, get a dolly and a tug and finally I got my plane moved and a ride back to the FBO. The plane was still there when I left.

Back