United Leggings

Actually I'm a bit tired of people dressing like they just stepped out of a trailer park when out in public. Right now I'm wearing cargo shorts and an old polo shirt. It's very comfortable but I'm not gonna wear it on an airline flight. I guess decorum has gone the way of the dinosaurs.

yikes, I have cargo shorts and polo shirts and wear them regularly outside. and would wear them on a plane. maybe you mean as the pilot? then yeah, otherwise, I wear that all the time. mostly because I'm a shlep.

Somehow this became an issue of children in leggings and toddlers in tights. These were two teenagers according to the woman who originally tweeted about it. She didn't know the offending legging wearers, so their ages aren't known, but they could have been 16, 17, 18, or 19, for all we know.

Actually I'm a bit tired of people dressing like they just stepped out of a trailer park when out in public. Right now I'm wearing cargo shorts and an old polo shirt. It's very comfortable but I'm not gonna wear it on an airline flight. I guess decorum has gone the way of the dinosaurs.

Well, in the interests of accuracy, a lot of them did.

Yup. My entire family lived in trailer parks until my mom's generation. Well, the great-grandparents built sticks and bricks houses on their farms before that, I suppose, but they weren't exactly having the countertops fitted for granite.

There's a difference between living like white trash and living in a trailer park. Especially rural. But my grandfolks on dad's side were in their trailer park (with one of the best views of Denver I've ever seen from their porch on any house) until grandfather passed. Someone bought it, gutted the interior and renovated it, and is enjoying the view from the porch still, I'm sure. They moved there in the early 70s and lived there until the 2000s.

99% of the time I'm in jeans and a polo. Today is chilly so it's a knit shirt with long sleeves. I did my days when I owned a tux because I was a musician and the country club schmucks wanted their trained monkeys to look nice while entertaining them.

One local DPE has a fashion fettish so I wore brown slacks to see him and a nicer looking polo that he has no idea I bought at a thrift store for $3. LOL. Roll with the punches. The dude likes expensive stuff. That's cool. I'm not so interested.

One of my old CFIs had a "uniform" for himself at the flight school that made a lot of sense except when it was really hot. Black boots, looked like dress shoes but were really leather type low boots like Doc Martins, black jeans, black polo, black belt. Never saw him in any other outfit. Probably had a few of each in the closet. Looked professional without looking pretentious. Black Honda Accord, too. I think he liked black. Heh. Ex-Army field officer, I bet he didn't own a single thing in OD green! Ha.

I wonder if American still tolerates the old USAir lingerie guy.

I'm in the minority at my work. I refuse to wear jeans. I still believe in dressing for how you want to be paid or respected. I also don't find sitting at a desk all day in jeans to be very comfortable. All this and I'm younger than 40. I must be crazy. My employees' eyes bug out when they see me walk in the rare occasion I actually have jeans on.

I'm in the minority at my work. I refuse to wear jeans. I still believe in dressing for how you want to be paid or respected. I also don't find sitting at a desk all day in jeans to be very comfortable. All this and I'm younger than 40. I must be crazy. My employees' eyes bug out when they see me walk in the rare occasion I actually have jeans on.

Some folks do that. Just be careful in business if using as a measuring stick. I once had to tell a VP when he pointed out someone in my staff who dressed rather casual all the time, that the guy had just saved him six times the guy's salary in a month long project. He decided he no longer cared what the guy wore. Ha.

Last edited:
Three pages in, and no one has posted the "You need pants to fly" meme? You guys are slipping!

Here we go!

1460_they-be-all-like-you-need-pants-to-fly_540-471.jpg

I am pretty much the same way. I don't even own blue jeans, but I have several Carhartt pants. Some look better than dress pants and look way better than jeans, unless I work in them. Then they look like work pants.

For the fashionistas, my curiosity peaked...

Married?
Kids?
Live in the city or at the end of a dirt driveway?

The reason I ask... the one guy I knew who was Barney ("suit up!") quickly lost his penchant for fashion once his kids started barfing on him multiple times per week. LOL.

He wears western shirts that are part polyester and jeans and bought a pickup truck after he sold the BMW. Hahhaa.

Married? Yes
Kids? 2
Live in the "city" (although we're not talking Chicago - I have a corn field behind me but I don't live on a dirt road either)

I also come from a culture where suit and tie to church is also the norm and I'm ok with that. I own my own tux (symphony performances).

I still believe in dressing for how you want to be paid or respected.

I want to be a billionaire. Let's see, Steve Jobs? Jeans and turtleneck. Mark Zuckerberg? Jeans and hoodie. Google guys? Jeans and t-shirt.

Married? Yes
Kids? 2
Live in the "city" (although we're not talking Chicago - I have a corn field behind me but I don't live on a dirt road either)

I also come from a culture where suit and tie to church is also the norm and I'm ok with that. I own my own tux (symphony performances).

Surprising. Well, someone's gotta do it, I guess. ;-)

We have folks in retro 80s video game t-shirts and shorts in the Dev team. They think I'm stodgy in my jeans and polo and greying hair. Haha.

I always thought dressing up for church was the worst/most pretentious. For a group of folks tasked with serving the poor, it never made any sense to me.

I went out of my way not to overdress in the more formal churches I've attended over the years so the parents who were struggling just to get by didn't feel like they needed to buy fancy clothes for the kids all the time as they outgrew them. Or themselves for that matter. Certainly ever a suit and tie, although many did that.

Probably why I ended up working at homeless shelters more than sitting in pews full of well-dressed people. No offense intended to anyone who finds that the well-dressed pew sitting works for them. Just not my cup o' tea.

Much of the time I attended those types of places, I was back at the mixer board in jeans making sure the sound system didn't sound like crap anyway. :) A button down shirt or nice polo on top kinda like doing a videoconference from home. Nobody sees your pants through the sound room window or over the low wall. :)

The church I go to doesn't look down on the cost of anyone's clothes. Our preacher usually wears a suit and tie, and others show up the same way as others wear jeans and tee shirts. Since our church building does not have A/C, shorts are common in the summer. Except me, I won't punish others with my stunning legs....:rolleyes:

Some of the ladies did take one woman aside and give her fashion advice. She has no fashion sense and showed up one day wearing panty hose as pants. Not leggins', or whatever they are called, but panty hose.

I get so tired seeing huge fat a$$ in sweatpants that say "Juicy" with pink flip flops and carrying their bedding... WTF and why do you think you get no respect from the employees or other passengers???

I have always dressed at least in nice jeans and a button down if not business casual. I think society has forgotten the basics of dressing respectfully in public. I actually saw a teen wearing yoga pants at CHURCH!!!

I want to be a billionaire. Let's see, Steve Jobs? Jeans and turtleneck. Mark Zuckerberg? Jeans and hoodie. Google guys? Jeans and t-shirt.

Those are guys who made the billions themselves. Not the people who worked for the billionaires. I wish I was an inventor. Never been one. But I can run their books.

And yes you'll then say the dress code at those places is relaxed. That's fine. I would still wear my full button shirts and pressed slacks if I worked at Google or Apple. That's how I am most comfortable and that's the whole point of those relaxed dress codes. To each their own. Be careful which side of the judgment curve you fall on.

always thought dressing up for church was the worst/most pretentious. For a group of folks tasked with serving the poor, it never made any sense to me

There are many who view it that way. My perspective is it's out of respect for deity. It's definitely not for me to feel good about myself standing next to someone else. I don't really care about what the person sitting next to me is wearing.

At work, slacks and a polo. Occasionally, I'll where a button-up with no tie, but not often. It's a manufacturing facility, and the guys in the shop are in jeans/work shirt, slacks are more comfortable than jeans anyway. Wearing a suit/tie every day would come off as pretentious, even when the VPs come in, they're generally in polos with a sport coat. Dress to fit the environment you're in. If in doubt, dress up versus dress down.

I wear jeans, tennis shoes and a polo or button down at work. In the summer and on the weekends I wear shorts and a tee shirt. Nobody sees me anyway. Everyone I work with wears a uniform - they're envious of my fashion. The FAA at the Tracon and Tucson tower wears shorts, flip flops and sports jerseys. One dude had the wolf and full moon tee shirt. Go to amazon and read the reviews for that shirt. It will keep you entertained for an hour or so.

I'm with you. Maybe it shouldn't, but the reality is appearance makes a difference, and if you look like someone who doesn't much care about your appearance, or even worse dress like a slob...

The billionaires that wear suits and ties outnumber those that don't. ;)

I'm with you. Maybe it shouldn't, but the reality is appearance makes a difference, and if you look like someone who doesn't much care about your appearance, or even worse dress like a slob...
But in regards to the issue at hand, (and disregarding my staunch opinion that an employer or sponsor of free travel, is entirely within their rights to specify a dress code), what is sloppy looking about a a young girl in leggings? But i also agree with SAC that they shouldn't be made in sizes larger than medium (unless they also very tall).

I'm glad that United is taking a stand against this stupid effing fashion trend that yoga pants are pants. Are you doing yoga? No? Then put on real pants. Are you currently engaged in athletic activities? No? Then a sports bra is not a shirt.

My girlfriend wears yoga pants alllllll the time. Drives me NUTS. And not in a good way.

The last time I wore a suit to work, they thought I was going for a job interview elsewhere. I had to tell them it was "Take your daughter to court day" (she blasted through a 25MPH zone at 55 and picked up a criminal speeding charge).

When I was as federal employee I was also teaching courses at internet trade shows on the side. You know, the "Who should take this class?" type thing (Are you a breathing primate with $750 in your pocket?). During one of the breaks an employee from another Army installation asked if I wore a suit to work every day. I asked him how much he paid for the class. I told him it costs $750 to see me in a suit.

Got invited to one of the suites at the Kansas Speedway for a NASCAR race of some sort, many years ago. Hot, hot, day, well over 100F, and the dress code was polo shirts and khaki pants. No shorts or t-shirts. Fortunately, the suite was air-conditioned. Unfortunately the huge windows, full sun, and high temps overwhelmed it. If you want the perks, you follow the rules.

Can't remember the last time I wore a suit. Probably was either a wedding or a funeral.

Surprising. Well, someone's gotta do it, I guess. ;-)

We have folks in retro 80s video game t-shirts and shorts in the Dev team. They think I'm stodgy in my jeans and polo and greying hair. Haha.

I always thought dressing up for church was the worst/most pretentious. For a group of folks tasked with serving the poor, it never made any sense to me.

I went out of my way not to overdress in the more formal churches I've attended over the years so the parents who were struggling just to get by didn't feel like they needed to buy fancy clothes for the kids all the time as they outgrew them. Or themselves for that matter. Certainly ever a suit and tie, although many did that.

Probably why I ended up working at homeless shelters more than sitting in pews full of well-dressed people. No offense intended to anyone who finds that the well-dressed pew sitting works for them. Just not my cup o' tea.

Much of the time I attended those types of places, I was back at the mixer board in jeans making sure the sound system didn't sound like crap anyway. :) A button down shirt or nice polo on top kinda like doing a videoconference from home. Nobody sees your pants through the sound room window or over the low wall. :)

Nate and his team:

Napoleon-Dynamite-Jon-Gries-Jon-Heder-Aaron-Ruell-Fox-Searchlight-Everett-070715-1276x850.jpg

Got invited to one of the suites at the Kansas Speedway for a NASCAR race of some sort, many years ago.

When I was a NASCAR official, we had to wear long white pants and the official shirt. No shorts. Fortunately for me as well that most of the night I am in the (air conditioned) tower, but everybody else is the same.

When I was a NASCAR official, we had to wear long white pants and the official shirt. No shorts. Fortunately for me as well that most of the night I am in the (air conditioned) tower, but everybody else is the same.

I had to wear a 3 layer suit, plus gloves and helmet. And all I did was put the fuel in the car. Fortunately it was a summer job and during the daytime...:yesnod:

I remember my dad dressing for work in the 60s. Black suit, white shirt, black skinny tie and black rimmed glasses. My mother would tell me that is how I will have to dress when I grew up. Thankfully, I never grew up.....:lol:

Dressed like Hasidic diamond merchants? They look like they're from the CIA or somethin'.

Every place I've worked, the most i've seen mgmt wear is biz casual. I hate the thought of a suit, but I have wondered what would happen if I started wearing one regularly. I wonder if I could get other people to start doing it.

I do know people treat you differently when you have a suit on. The few times I've worn one out to lunch (presentation or something at work), it's night and day.

Your dad was a Blues Brother? Cool!

Dressed like Hasidic diamond merchants? They look like they're from the CIA or somethin'.

No, my dad was neither a Blues Brother or a diamond merchant or CIA. However, he could have been a Man in Black since he did not have a sense of humor, at least not until he retired.....:lol: Really can't blame him, he was born in rural Georgia, grew up during the depression, graduated high school and into WWII, worked his way through college, then got married and had kids, worked as a college professor and research scientist. I never really saw him laugh until he retired.

The billionaires that wear suits and ties outnumber those that don't. ;)
I don't want to wait until I'm as old as those suit and tie guys before I become a billionaire. ;)

My father was a sales rep for IBM in Southern California in the early 1960s. He said when they went to New York for sales meetings, the Easterners thought the west coast guys were radicals because they didn't wear hats.

Every place I've worked, the most i've seen mgmt wear is biz casual. I hate the thought of a suit, but I have wondered what would happen if I started wearing one regularly. I wonder if I could get other people to start doing it.

I do know people treat you differently when you have a suit on. The few times I've worn one out to lunch (presentation or something at work), it's night and day.
Don't ever use the words "biz casual" again! Thank you.

My father was a sales rep for IBM in Southern California in the early 1960s. He said when they went to New York for sales meetings, the Easterners thought the west coast guys were radicals because they didn't wear hats.
My father retired from IBM, I remember him having to wear the three piece suits every day. A shame more companies aren't like that.

My father retired from IBM, I remember him having to wear the three piece suits every day. A shame more companies aren't like that.

Yeah, definitely a shame that companies don't force people to buy expensive suits/dresses to wear every day in the office, especially when 90% of them don't work with any outside vendors or customers who'd see it anyway. It's better that they all be uncomfortable and overdressed to sit in a cubicle all day. /sarcasm

Back