BEST raffle aircraft?

What plane would you buy the most raffle tickets for?

• J3 Cub

• Van's RV12

• Bonanza, poa favorite

• Something else

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mike5250

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike5250
We are planning our 2nd raffle and currently deciding on what to use as the 2018 raffle aircraft. Our foundation would use the aircraft for a year or so as an intro flight/young eagles plane and for occasional instruction. We plan on using a typical trainer for students that get training scholarships (cherokee, 172, etc). Currently we are building an rv12 which is a possibility but may stick to a factory built for liability.

Check out our initial ideas...
Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 5.13.13 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 5.17.11 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 5.13.55 PM.jpg

As someone who owns...I would have little interest in another typical trainer type aircraft for a raffle.

Now a Cub or something fun like that I would be all over participating in.

Just went through an LSA seminar last night with the FAA teaching, you can't use an Experimental aircraft for young eagles flights.

Edit: Sorry I double check my notes it was Sport pilot couldn't do Young Eagles Flights...

FAA Person was also talking a lot about Experimental

Last edited:
I agree with Shawn. I did not buy a ticket this year due to the aircraft. I would think a fun plane (cub) OR something more capable (Cherokee Six) might be interesting to folks.

While offering Comanches, Bo, PA-32 are always nice, I think a Breezy, Champ, or even a Citabria would be great items. Maybe a Tiger/Cheetah or Viking if looking for cheaper XC birds than a Bo/M20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just went through an LSA seminar last night with the FAA teaching, you can't use an Experimental aircraft for young eagles flights.
Young Eagles = Experimental Aircraft Association = irony?

Or maybe I should ask for the official source documentation versus a FAA employee's opinion?

At the rallies I have attended, many of the aircraft flying the kids are RV's and a other kit builds.

Add me to the list of someone who would be purchasing tickets for a Cub or other low/slow/fly with door open.

But I'd be happy with the 172's and PA-28's too.

Edit: Sorry I double check my notes it was Sport pilot couldn't do Young Eagles Flights...

FAA Person was also talking a lot about Experimental

Good to know. I heard boy scouts require 2 adults per minor which excludes them from 3/4 experimentals.

While offering Comanches, Bo, PA-32 are always nice, I think a Breezy, Champ, or even a Citabria would be great items. Maybe a Tiger/Cheetah or Viking if looking for cheaper XC birds than a Bo/M20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Thats what we are thinking. This year is a cessna 170 which is a little more unique than the trainers we saw getting raffled. It was a donation, not something we picked out.

Cub/champ/citabria would be fun intro flights.

Can't go wrong with a cub or similar type for a raffle. Keep it to something light sport so that just about anyone could enjoy it if they won it. I wouldn't want the liability risk of raffling off an Experimental.

Can't go wrong with a cub or similar type for a raffle. Keep it to something light sport so that just about anyone could enjoy it if they won it. I wouldn't want the liability risk of raffling off an Experimental.

Agreed. Going to start looking for a cub or champ to pick up by June or so.

A biplane would be cool. Just make it something that burns less oil than a Stearman. They're cool planes, I just don't want to feed one . . .

I'm SHOCKED that no one has gotten on board with the Bo...

Bo is ahead right now with the Cub a close second. It's just so much more airplane than the rest.

I like the Bo, but a Cub would be nice too. But it has to be a real Cub, not a copy. Preferably a J-3.

But the best raffle plane is the one I win.

A biplane would be cool. Just make it something that burns less oil than a Stearman. They're cool planes, I just don't want to feed one . . .
One of the new Great Lakes would be fine by me. I would spend all my lunch money on raffle tix for one of them!

One of the new Great Lakes would be fine by me. I would spend all my lunch money on raffle tix for one of them!

Ouch, $459k plus options.

Looks like a cub wins, but we need more votes.

The 170 is a little more interesting than the typical trainers raffled off, so we'll try to stay interesting.

There are things other than planes, but maybe not as photogenic. I'd buy a ticket for a chance at 20(?) hours of helicopter time, or a multi engine add on, or...

There are things other than planes, but maybe not as photogenic. I'd buy a ticket for a chance at 20(?) hours of helicopter time, or a multi engine add on, or...

2nd prize is 5000 toward any training and 3rd is a ride with Rob Holland. $5000 of money you need to spend would make multi or helicopter time more fun.

I voted for a Bo. I have never been that enthused over most of the raffle or give away airplanes, but I really wanted to win the Debonair that AOPA gave away a couple years ago. That was one neat plane to me.

I voted for a Bo. I have never been that enthused over most of the raffle or give away airplanes, but I really wanted to win the Debonair that AOPA gave away a couple years ago. That was one neat plane to me.

Yeah I never saw the debonair in person. I did run into the cherokee 6 at Cape May airport a few months back.

We are thinking cub. Anyone know a good one for sale? Champ would probably work too if it was a clean example.

Back