Looking for PPL training in a tailgragger

Sidney Scott

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Scotts7
Hi all, I'm looking for primary ppl training in a taildragger in Las Vegas, NV. I already know the pros and cons to learning in a taildragger compared to a tri-gear. I'm looking to learn in a taildragger because that is what I will be flying once I get my license to learn. So please keep this thread to finding a taildragger CFI preferably a freelance since I have called all the schools here and no one does ppl in a TW. One school located at Henderson has a Citabria but they don't do ppl training:( any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance

Can't help you with an instructor but I think it's awesome you're getting your PPL in a taildragger. I wish I did, now that I've finally learned how to fly them.

Can't help you with an instructor but I think it's awesome you're getting your PPL in a taildragger. I wish I did, now that I've finally learned how to fly them.

I feel the say as you do. I would like to get a tail wheel rating and a float rating just no one locally provides that service.

A friend just bought a Citabria, she loves it. She is a real Alaska bush pilot, lands on a beach, shoots a deer brings it home for dinner.

Have fun with your training

A friend of mines son learned in a tail wheel plane, a J3 that his grandfather restored. He was 16 at the time.

Yes I do need to find a DE. I'm just trying to find an instructor right now. That seems impossible at the moment.

Are you having trouble finding an instructor or finding an airplane and an instructor?

Maybe consider buying an airplane to learn in and finding an instructor that is willing to teach you to fly it?

I don't think finding a DPE should be too hard.

Yeah both, I can't afford a airworthy plane right now and I can't seem to find a plane or a instructor in Las Vegas all the internet searches are leading me nowhere. I was hoping some on here knew someone in Vegas or could at least point me in the right direction with a name or contact info

The place you mention, Monarch Sky (Sky Combat Ace) down at Henderson Exec, does have a Citabria, but I'm not sure I'd be all that enthusiastic about training there. Their rental rate was pretty expensive, and their operation hasn't been exactly "clean" in terms of basic stuff (if you Google about SCA's crash back in '16, it reveals that a couple of their instructors were under investigation for certificate action for some safety and/or FAR violations).

Nice airplane, though. I got checked out in it back in '15 in hopes of being able to rent it for fun, but they only seem to be interested in renting it for aerobatics training or tailwheel training/signoffs.

IMG_7092_zpspqt5eu2y.jpg

I'm interested to see if you come up with another taildragger somewhere here in the valley that they'll rent out at a reasonable rate.

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm looking for primary ppl training in a taildragger in Las Vegas, NV. I already know the pros and cons to learning in a taildragger compared to a tri-gear. I'm looking to learn in a taildragger because that is what I will be flying once I get my license to learn. So please keep this thread to finding a taildragger CFI preferably a freelance since I have called all the schools here and no one does ppl in a TW. One school located at Henderson has a Citabria but they don't do ppl training:( any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance

I thought there was a flying club in Henderson that had a tail dragged, not finding it right now.
The difficult part is flying a taildragger for primary instruction is because of the insurance limitations for solo student pilots.

I know a taildragger CFI, but the aircraft is not insured for primary instruction or solo student pilots.

Come to Houston for a bit and fly with Joy at Texas Taildraggers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back