Questions about neuro test results and denial

Randy

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Skydive101
For over a year i've been fighting to get my medical after being denied for PTSD and TBI. They requested a core test battery and psyche test, which I complied with.

I submitted my results a few months ago. They reviewed it over that time and denied me a little while ago. I got the test results, and for the most part I scored average or superior. Here are some notes that are not average or above

Working memory index- 83- Low average
Digit span -5% mild impairment
Trail making test part A and B <1% impaired

Other than that they were all average, high, or superior. Did they deny me because of the trails test? More frustration, the examiner told me it wasn't timed so I took my time..then in the notes it says I have trouble with speeded timed test. Seriously?

The only other note I see that's negative is that there's a probability i'm minimizing symptoms to obtain my license.

What do I do now? Petition the FAS in DC asking pretty please reconsider AGAIN? There is no real new information and I don't even know what to write.

Talk to Dr Bruce Chien, but you may have to accept that your flying days are over. Advice - be absolutely up front and clean with him, he has zero tolerance for any BS of any kind. Be prepared to write him a $100 check for a consult to find out exactly how you prove fitness to fly, if it's possible.

http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/

You can also find him on the AOPA board in the medical forum.

Already did. So if he's got no answer and no one here has an answer I guess after all this it's really final. No pleasing the FAA. No flying, a career is screwed. What a waste of time and money.

there are services ( i use one in the Indy area ) that provide neuropsych rehabilitation. with or without such you can apply again in 6 months as many airman perform better on subsequent testing. You can request a different testing doctor.

Already did. So if he's got no answer and no one here has an answer I guess after all this it's really final. No pleasing the FAA. No flying, a career is screwed. What a waste of time and money.

I'd be very surprised if he has no answer.. unfortunately, the medical system created by the FAA is set up to be.. not so good. You can also contact the local Regional Flight Surgeon's office.

For over a year i've been fighting to get my medical after being denied for PTSD and TBI. They requested a core test battery and psyche test, which I complied with.

I submitted my results a few months ago. They reviewed it over that time and denied me a little while ago. I got the test results, and for the most part I scored average or superior. Here are some notes that are not average or above

Working memory index- 83- Low average
Digit span -5% mild impairment
Trail making test part A and B <1% impaired

Other than that they were all average, high, or superior. Did they deny me because of the trails test? More frustration, the examiner told me it wasn't timed so I took my time..then in the notes it says I have trouble with speeded timed test. Seriously?

The only other note I see that's negative is that there's a probability i'm minimizing symptoms to obtain my license.

What do I do now? Petition the FAS in DC asking pretty please reconsider AGAIN? There is no real new information and I don't even know what to write.

Minimizing symptoms to obtain your license- that sounds like a pretty big deal. Any way you can talk to the Doctor about why they felt compelled to add that line of information in the report? I am betting that statement, along with some of the other low scoring tests in your file, set off some red flags.

I'm sorry you are going through all this.

Trail making test part A and B <1% impaired...
More frustration, the examiner told me it wasn't timed so I took my time..then in the notes it says I have trouble with speeded timed test. Seriously?
I assume your trail test means 99+% of testers scored better than you on that test. A quick Wiki check says the test is specifically about how long it takes you to complete it. So if you are positive the examiner told you it wasn't timed, then you need to see if you can get that corrected - I would think via retest. You might start there. NOTE: I'm not a doc; did you mention this to Dr. Chien?

I'm sorry you continue to have these barriers thrown up. I remember the frustration you expressed in the first post about your situation.

The post by lbfjrmed suggests a possible path. Like Dr. Chien, he is an aeromedical doctor. Perhaps you should contact him. A second opinion is a good idea, and he may provide you with some answers which get you moving forward.

Best of luck to you, I'm hoping a pathway to your goal is found.

We here in Illinois use the same guy in Indy.
But the problem is, you are going to have to pay for some expertise to review your file and figure out what's what. That takes time and energy. If you're not willing to do that (and I am NOT here to hold out or suggest that you use anyone in particular) then you will have to just get what you can off the boards.

Remember, you are to FAA, "in precision", how you appear on paper.

B :(

Op, what were the max amount of digits you could remember and recite back?

A trick is to remember the numbers like a telephone number, that will at least get you to 7 if not 10 digits.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back