United Leggings

Gerhardt

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Gerhardt
So this self-proclaimed activist tweets about how unfair United is because they won't let two girls board a plane because they're wearing leggings. She thinks she's taking up for all women everywhere. But what she doesn't know is that the girls are boarding w/ employee passes that require dress codes to be followed. And the employee pass dress codes are much more stringent than that for passengers. Ironically, too many people still believe that the airline is wrong. Huh.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/...ns-from-flight-who-were-wearing-leggings.html

What a spoiled brat. While non-rev flying ain't what it used to be, the dress codes are there. I've seen non-revvers denied boarding before when they aren't dressed appropriately. T-shirt and jeans or leggings ain't going to cut it.

What a spoiled brat. While non-rev flying ain't what it used to be, the dress codes are there. I've seen non-revvers denied boarding before when they aren't dressed appropriately. T-shirt and jeans or leggings ain't going to cut it.
Bingo! They n ew the rules and decided not to follow them and as usual these days, some clown had to throw a "virtual hissy fit" on twitter or something.

Life was better before Twitter.

I see your point, although I have nothing against leggings. It is however another clothing product that should not be manufactured in larger than size M.
That's a good idea,
except,
You will see size 20 women squeezing into a size 6 legging. That is worse than them wearing a size 20 in the first place because they will be stretched so thin you will need eye bleach to erase the sight.

It is amazing how this story blew up on social media and everyone was in a tizzy against United before they fully understood the whole story.

People are freakin lemmings believing everything out of context they read at face value. No wonder the Russians had such an easy time...

United also did a pretty crappy job tweeting out before they knew the full details of the issue.
That's my biggest problem with it. They were totally legit in what they did... but tweeting defensively that "we can do what we want" before they knew what happened seems a bit kneejerk and didn't help their cause.

That's my biggest problem with it. They were totally legit in what they did... but tweeting defensively that "we can do what we want" before they knew what happened seems a bit kneejerk and didn't help their cause.
Exactly ...Also United actually has one of the easiest of dress codes...currently in France but got here In jeans in First Class ( not business ) which does not happen on the other majors....$111.00 bucks for the trip...

Clean, un-torn dress jeans are now acceptable on many carriers for employee travel. But I wore a dress shirt and black slacks on a recent trip in first.

Clean, un-torn dress jeans are now acceptable on many carriers for employee travel. But I wore a dress shirt and black slacks on a recent trip in first.
Even sweats are at acceptable at my shop. Just nothing excessively baggy. I haven't seen many non revs dress up because it's not required.

Their plane, their rules. Some twit with no skin in the game should stfu. Too many people stick their business in m other people's noses way too much.
Mind your own unless you can be part of the solution. Starting a riot isn't the answer.

It is amazing how this story blew up on social media and everyone was in a tizzy against United before they fully understood the whole story.

People are freakin lemmings believing everything out of context they read at face value. No wonder the Russians had such an easy time...

It didn't help that the news sites ran it with the selacious headline that made it sound like it was two paying passengers who were told to change clothes... just sucking people in to click on the link, but people DON'T click the link, and don't read... so their version of the news is the headline version... not what's in the story...

I jumped on right as it hit the newswire and made the top comment in the local fox station and some facebook news aggregator that the article was about non-revs flying on company passes and NOT customers so I wouldn't have to see NEARLY as much stupidity on my FB feed today as would have happened if my comment was buried down in the noise of the idiots getting "offended" at United... thankfully. Kinda rare that you can nip that crap in the bud in the top post.

According to that news link and other sources I've seen, the whole thing blew up on Twitter because some "activist" witnessed it, not because the girls or their parents made a fuss.

According to that news link and other sources I've seen, the whole thing blew up on Twitter because some "activist" witnessed it, not because the girls or their parents made a fuss.
Yup, the girls weren't apparently that upset over it, and knew the dress code. They made adjustments (probably by buying a cheap pair of pants in the airport) and got on the next available flight. If you're flying on a private carrier, you have to play by their rules, paying customer or not.

The fact that people think sweats are a good idea outside of the home around bedtime is interesting to me.
I'm a fan of joggers as they are really comfortable and will usually will them when I'm traveling.

I see your point, although I have nothing against leggings. It is however another clothing product that should not be manufactured in larger than size M.

I agree and would like to add that seams of those no larger than medium leggings should be sewn with a very limited tensile strength thread, designed to fail if too much pressure is applied.

I'm a fan of joggers as they are really comfortable and will usually will them when I'm traveling.
I'm a dress for the purpose kind of guy. Athletic wear outside of athetic activities looks like you're prepared just in case a random game or contest breaks out you will have the advantage.

I'm a dress for the purpose kind of guy. Athletic wear outside of athetic activities looks like you're prepared just in case a random game or contest breaks out you will have the advantage.
Just prepping for the workout when I get to the hotel gym!

Activists primarily used to be people who actually fought against real social injustices. Now any perceived inconvenience or hurt feelings kicks some idiot into activist mode and social media is a big part of it. It gives everyone a voice, even the most ill informed and ignorant amongst us.

You think leggings are bad on large size people? I worked as a volunteer at the National Championships for NASTAR ski racing last week at Steamboat. The size of some (men and women) in skin tight racing suits was mind boggling:eek: The better the skier, the better the fit between body and suit. OTOH, I sometimes feared for a major "wardrobe malfunction" in the lower classes:D

Cheers

Most likely they had other clothes in their carryon. You don't check bags when you're standing by for a non-rev seat.

Trying, but nothing comes to mind.... hmmm
This is what they are supposed to look like.

1.0x0.jpg

I don't get why employees who are flying as passengers should have a different dress code, not like anyone not looking at their ticket is likely to know the difference.

But whatever it's their airline and it's a free seat so....

I fully understand United's concern. They were simply trying to avoid having a chorus of Bob and Tom show songs break out in the cabin.

I took my father to a SF con many years ago (I learned to read with his SF books). His comment at dinner was "there should be a weight limit on spandex"

I love leggings. I love traveling in leggings. I love flying my own airplanes in leggings. But I'm not going to wear them somewhere that isn't appropriate. I personally wear extra long shirts that could double as dresses when I wear them, but I know not everyone does. No one batted an eye when I got on a Delta flight (that I paid for), first class, on Friday at 530am in leggings...

I think leggings can actually be worn in a classy, stylish way. But no one wants to see butt cheeks so wear a long shirt, even if its a tank top! That's leggings 101, never be able to see the butt.

Back