Buying first plane (Sundowner?) Advice appreciated

Todd82

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Todd
Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster.

I think the stars are finally aligning to buy my first bird. I'm technically a student because I never took my test yet, but I've got plenty of time primarily in Cherokee 140's and Warriors, and I definitely like low wing over high.

I've come across a Sundowner locally, immaculate looking P&I, still some time left on a reman engine, IFR avionics but older, mid $30s

My main question is as someone with most of their time in a Cherokee/Warrior will a Sundowner be much different or get me in trouble? I've never flown a Sundowner/Musketeer before, however the seller is a CFI and can probably spend some time with me. Also are there any big maintenance gotchas / ADs I should be worried about?

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance!!

I can't help much with the Sundowner, but welcome to POA Todd.

2006-12-07 7/11/2006 ECi cylinder assemblies
2006-03-08 3/10/2006 Vacuum pumps
2005-01-19 2/23/2005 Mode S transponders
89-24-09 12/4/1989 Aileron Rod Ends
88-10-01 6/6/1988 Fuel Boost Pump
87-02-08 3/4/1987 Stabilator Hinge Assemblies
85-05-02 4/25/1985 Fuel Selector Guard Modification
73-20-07 R2 9/3/1982 Wing Attach Bolts/Brackets
78-04-01 2/20/1978 Wing Flap Control
77-03-05 3/14/1977 Main Landing Gear
76-25-05 1/24/1977 Aileron Control
75-17-37 8/20/1975 Carburetor Mixture and/or Heat Control
75-01-04 1/7/1975 Fuel Selector Valve
74-23-09 11/14/1974 Inflight Situations
73-23-06 11/19/1973 Throttle Control Cable
73-23-03 11/13/1973 Flexible Induction Air Ducts
73-12-11 7/27/1973 Carburetor Air Box Valve
73-13-11 6/29/1973 Automatic Pilot Instruments
71-25-03 12/3/1971 Fuel and Oil Restrictor
70-15-03 7/21/1970 Fuel Selector Valve
68-17-06 8/27/1968 Parking Brake

Here is what I found.

Get some time with a CFI who knows Sundowners. Those things like are a little tweaky when landing if you start chasing it. They like to porpoise.

Edit: lol. I read the whole post AFTER answering. The seller is a CFI

Beech Sierra owner here. Head on over to http://www.beechaeroclub.org and sign up and pretty much any question you have specific to the Sundowner will be answered in short order. One problem I had when I purchased my plane, is that the fresh air ducts originally installed ended up being corrosive to aluminum, so I had to replace all of it and patch up the corrosion issues. I'm pretty sure the whole series suffered from this particular problem and not just the Sierra. Overall, very maintenance free aircraft though, especially if you find one that has been taken care of.

I owned a 152 prior to purchasing the Sierra and the transition was a non-event. My insurance required 10 hours of dual and most of that was just spent working on IFR training since the transition was so easy.

Welcome!

Isn't that the Beech that has the bird strike AD? the pilot must inspect the wing and other trailing edges after each fights for bird strikes.

Isn't that the Beech that has the bird strike AD? the pilot must inspect the wing and other trailing edges after each fights for bird strikes.

LOL. Well done Tom.

But you are rebuilding a C-150, so you will have experience with this potential hazard I am certain ;)

Lol. I'm used to a tired trainer Cherokee 140 they're probably on that same AD.

Beech Sierra owner here. Head on over to http://www.beechaeroclub.org and sign up and pretty much any question you have specific to the Sundowner will be answered in short order. One problem I had when I purchased my plane, is that the fresh air ducts originally installed ended up being corrosive to aluminum, so I had to replace all of it and patch up the corrosion issues. I'm pretty sure the whole series suffered from this particular problem and not just the Sierra. Overall, very maintenance free aircraft though, especially if you find one that has been taken care of.

I owned a 152 prior to purchasing the Sierra and the transition was a non-event. My insurance required 10 hours of dual and most of that was just spent working on IFR training since the transition was so easy.

Welcome!
That's the black hose vs orange hose thing? This one has the old stuff too running to those ducts in the back, everything up front is the orange stuff.

Thanks for the welcome and info about beech aero club!

Sundowner owner here. As mentioned previously, head over to the Beech Aero Club and join the group. Plenty of information available and people who share their experiences.

I just replaced all the black duct this past annual, it was worth the time and scraped knuckles.

I have exactly one flight (3 landings) in a Sundowner so take advice from owners over mine. I liked it. It's roomy and comfortable and if you nail the speed on landing it's really nice. They're not fast for the power, but that's the room (cabin width) sticking out into the slipstream. I was really bummed when somebody else in the club totaled it shortly after my checkout.

John

Sundowners are nice planes. The landing 'challenge' is a myth. Maintain proper airspeed on final and you will grease it on. 1500 rpm and full aft trim on final gives 65 kts and a smooth roll on. Now, full aft trim is maybe not the best technique for a 182, but it is very easy to overcome in a go-around situation in a Sundowner. 115kts at 9gph iirc (I sold mine about 10 years ago.)

Don't believe the haters. It's a good, solid, undervalued airplane. Although - many parts prices are more expensive than C & P alternatives.

Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster.

I think the stars are finally aligning to buy my first bird. I'm technically a student because I never took my test yet, but I've got plenty of time primarily in Cherokee 140's and Warriors, and I definitely like low wing over high.

I've come across a Sundowner locally, immaculate looking P&I, still some time left on a reman engine, IFR avionics but older, mid $30s

My main question is as someone with most of their time in a Cherokee/Warrior will a Sundowner be much different or get me in trouble? I've never flown a Sundowner/Musketeer before, however the seller is a CFI and can probably spend some time with me. Also are there any big maintenance gotchas / ADs I should be worried about?

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance!!

...not much difference...however, there are millions of Pipers for sale...stick with em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have exactly one flight (3 landings) in a Sundowner so take advice from owners over mine. I liked it. It's roomy and comfortable and if you nail the speed on landing it's really nice. They're not fast for the power, but that's the room (cabin width) sticking out into the slipstream. I was really bummed when somebody else in the club totaled it shortly after my checkout.

John
How'd they do that?

you have searched on here for other lengthy posts about buying Sundowners right?

Get some time with a CFI who knows Sundowners. Those things like are a little tweaky when landing if you start chasing it. They like to porpoise.

Edit: lol. I read the whole post AFTER answering. The seller is a CFI
Pipers are forgiving for lack of airspeed control on final. Beech is very specific.

Sports and Sundowners, great planes, two doors, not that fast. Fly the approach by the numbers, don't be fast and don't force it to land and don't catch the nose gear first. No braking until after flaps are retracted.

Nice airplanes.

Back