CFII or MEI...

Anthony8822

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Anthony
I'm pretty sure this topic works in this forum, feel free to move if it I'm wrong.

I got my CFI last month and with my situation as a freelancer, it's become clear that I need to get either my CFII or my MEI, but I'm not sure which one to get (both isn't financially an option until I find some students).

Everyone keeps telling me to go get my CFII, but I've heard that it is one bear of a checkride. Also, I really think I have a more solid grasp of multi-engine flying and would be able to teach that more effectively than IFR flying.

What are yall's opinions?

Added bonus, getting my MEI would satisfy the rental checkout requirements for the local Baron 55.

Both add on checkrides are easy if you know the material.

In my opinion, the CFII is a more useful rating. The MEI probably won't get used much unless there is a strong demand for multi training in your area. Around here it seems to go in streaks - the twin won't fly for six months then the phone is ringing non stop for multi ratings.

Agree CFII is more useful, and the checkride is no harder than an MEI ride, and it probably would be cheaper; do you have the 15 hours multi PIC you need for the MEI?

Can an MEI that's not a CFII sign someone off for a multi checkride with instrument privileges? Not many getting their multi ratings VFR-only I'd guess.

Agree CFII is more useful, and the checkride is no harder than an MEI ride, and it probably would be cheaper; do you have the 15 hours multi PIC you need for the MEI?

Can an MEI that's not a CFII sign someone off for a multi checkride with instrument privileges? Not many getting their multi ratings VFR-only I'd guess.

Valid points. I could get the 15 of multi PIC pretty easily, but I do not currently. I don't know about the signoff. I don't recall there being anything about the IFR portion of the checkride mentioned in my multi ride endorsement, so I'd imagine so. The FAR's state that a non CFII is authorized to give as much instrument dual as is required for any rating that is not the instrument rating; EX hood time for PPL students.

Guess it's time to go practice holds, because that seems to be 90% of the difficulty in instrument flying.

I believe you can. There was an instructor around here that only held a CFI and MEI for a while and I don't think he had any trouble. But I've honestly never dug through the FARs to make a solid determination on that.

I'm pretty sure this topic works in this forum, feel free to move if it I'm wrong.

I got my CFI last month and with my situation as a freelancer, it's become clear that I need to get either my CFII or my MEI, but I'm not sure which one to get (both isn't financially an option until I find some students).

Everyone keeps telling me to go get my CFII, but I've heard that it is one bear of a checkride. Also, I really think I have a more solid grasp of multi-engine flying and would be able to teach that more effectively than IFR flying.

What are yall's opinions?

Added bonus, getting my MEI would satisfy the rental checkout requirements for the local Baron 55.
I'd recommend getting your CFII first. It has a lower opportunity cost and a greater potential for you to recover the costs more quickly. This is the best time of the year to be a CFII in your area. As the weather warms up, people recognize the opportunity to get an IFR ticket before the dreary overcast skies return next fall.

If you have time, drive up to Lafayette and do your CFII addon with Jim P. or Chris H. at Purdue Aviation. I worked with both of them for two years, and they are both excellent instructors.

Do 3 or 4 of your CFII workups in a multi to get to your 15 hours PIC. You'll already be in the right seat so take 12 minutes out of each flight to do a Vmc Demo, shutdown/restart, steep turns. Do a single engine landing off a T&G from your last approach (note, there is no hood work or approaches involved in the MEI check ride).

You are now ready for both check rides at the same time for a much lower incremental cost than if you put each rating in its own box. MEI is the easiest check ride you will ever experience.

My thoughts as well, do the CFII and MEI at the same time in a twin.

Do 3 or 4 of your CFII workups in a multi to get to your 15 hours PIC. You'll already be in the right seat so take 12 minutes out of each flight to do a Vmc Demo, shutdown/restart, steep turns. Do a single engine landing off a T&G from your last approach (note, there is no hood work or approaches involved in the MEI check ride).

You are now ready for both check rides at the same time for a much lower incremental cost than if you put each rating in its own box. MEI is the easiest check ride you will ever experience.

My thoughts as well, do the CFII and MEI at the same time in a twin.

That sounds like a GREAT idea! It would also satisfy rental checkout requirements. Time to get to work!

That is a really good plan if you have the capability to do it.

Also, I will agree with some others - the CFII was the easiest checkride I'd ever taken. Until I took the MEI ride, then that one was the easiest!

No idea, what do you have more clients asking for, instrument or multi?

Go with the best return on investment.

Business-wise, the CFII is your better plan if you're limited to only choosing one.

I'm doing all my stuff totally backward, but I knew going in I'd need to keep going until the CFII is completed.

Back