Shoulder harness kits

BAS is and always has been the best. Too bad Bud is no longer around to install them.

BAS is and always has been the best. Too bad Bud is no longer around to install them.

BAS doesn't appear to offer them for the C150s.

In the confined space of a C150 I don't see a lot of value in inertial reel. I have a BAS set in the 177 which I realy like and would do again.

I have manual flaps in my 182 so I paid the hefty bas tax and went with inertia reels. I really like the freedom to move without constantly repositioning my shoulder harness, it almost makes the exorbitant cost worth it. My rear seat belts came from wag aero, great prices and selection while still being affordable. If range of motion isn't an issue fixed harness from wag aero would be my go to, but the convenience and safety of bas is nice.

What a shame something as basic as a pair inertia real seatbelts can approach 10% of the cost of an airworthy beater 150...

I have manual flaps in my 182 so I paid the hefty bas tax and went with inertia reels. I really like the freedom to move without constantly repositioning my shoulder harness, it almost makes the exorbitant cost worth it. My rear seat belts came from wag aero, great prices and selection while still being affordable. If range of motion isn't an issue fixed harness from wag aero would be my go to, but the convenience and safety of bas is nice.

What a shame something as basic as a pair inertia real seatbelts can approach 10% of the cost of an airworthy beater 150...

I had a C150 with manual flaps and shoulder harness, the flap handle is much shorter and almost level with the seats so there is not much bending down to reach for it, its just there.

I went with WagAero for all 4 seats in the cherokee, (lap belts only in the back). My lap belt is always snug, I only snug up the harness when in bumpy weather, otherwise, it's loose so I can reach the fuel and flaps. In 17 years, haven't had any problems. And there's nothing to break. All the rentals at the school with inertial reel always had non-working harnesses.

I went with WagAero for all 4 seats in the cherokee, (lap belts only in the back). My lap belt is always snug, I only snug up the harness when in bumpy weather, otherwise, it's loose so I can reach the fuel and flaps. In 17 years, haven't had any problems. And there's nothing to break. All the rentals at the school with inertial reel always had non-working harnesses.

I have harnesses in my Cherokee 140, but they aren't all that comfortable (rub my neck) and I can't reach the hand brake with them on...so I just wear the lap belt. How do you go about reaching the handbrake in your Cherokee with the harnesses on?

I have harnesses in my Cherokee 140, but they aren't all that comfortable (rub my neck) and I can't reach the hand brake with them on...so I just wear the lap belt. How do you go about reaching the handbrake in your Cherokee with the harnesses on?

People actually use the handbrake in a Piper? :eek:
That's gambling son! Safer to ski avalanche chutes or start BASE jumping.

? I'm confused...mine works great? I guess you could just not use any brakes at all?

Well how else are you supposed to make those sweet drifts off the runway without the ebrake?

You're not in control unless you're out of control.

I always wear a polo shirt or something with a collar. Check to see if the harness is adjustable and make it shorter so that its not on your neck.

You may need to get longer straps on the shoulder harness. I keep,the shoulder harness very loose, only snug it up when needed. So far, have never needed the shoulder harness really snug, somthere's no problem reaching the flaps, the brake or the fuel selector.

Or, I may have longer arms than you?

Personally, myself I like Hookers. We stuck a couple in the 150, and they were pretty good. Excellent actually: although we had to pay a lot for them, they had no problem when we screwed them to the roof.

I always wear a polo shirt or something with a collar. Check to see if the harness is adjustable and make it shorter so that its not on your neck.

You may need to get longer straps on the shoulder harness. I keep,the shoulder harness very loose, only snug it up when needed. So far, have never needed the shoulder harness really snug, somthere's no problem reaching the flaps, the brake or the fuel selector.

Or, I may have longer arms than you?

Will have to give that a shot

I guess you do not realize that on a few old Cherokees handbrake is the only brake: there are no toe brakes. N7342J is one such. This configuration is usually found together with a 140 hp engine and an overhead trim crank.

I don't have a trouble reaching the hand brake on Cherokee with a fixed shoulder harness, although I'm not sure what brand they are. All of them were rentals. And yes, I really hate broken inertial reels in rentals.

I hate the shoulder harness in my Cherokee so I removed it. Collared shirts and lambskin doohickies didn't help the constant rubbing against my neck.

I hate the shoulder harness in my Cherokee so I removed it. Collared shirts and lambskin doohickies didn't help the constant rubbing against my neck.

My Comanche is equipped with a manual shoulder harness kit from Lenny Spall who then sold his STC to Alpha Aviation I believe.
http://www.alphaaviation.com/PA2832.html
My shoulder strap is equipped with an easy and quick adjuster that allows for relaxing the pressure from the shoulder strap by simply lifting up a small fabric strap located mid-way on the shoulder strap. It can be easily sinched back down if encountering turbulence or on approach. I will continue to look for a pic of the "interweb", otherwise I'll take a picture of my actual harness.
I would not like a harness that fits so tight all the time either, but if you could find a replacement strap with this type of release, I would be a happier person knowing someone is flying with an upper body restraint, rather then not...
And my happiness is so important. :0)
I found an image that appears to show the same adjuster, just missing the small fabric strap. It would loop thru the small slot at the bottom of the adjuster. These appear to be from Hooker Harness.
P1080896.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, what that kid is going through is what I went through. I'd like to replace them with something adjustable but I don't want to take out the headliner and mod the aircraft for an inertia reel OR pay $1000 for the effort.

Lol this is hilarious because my Cherokee has the same harnesses pictured above...totally useless and the way they fit is pretty comical. The harness mounting point should ideally be located 0-10 degrees below your shoulders so that you don't get that weird geometry pictured above. Unfortunately there just isn't an easy way to do that in the Cherokee (or maybe there is and I don't know about it). I've just settled with wearing my lap belt, but it would be nice to have working harnesses

I haven't removed mine but maybe it would be worthwhile to do so.

Yeah, what that kid is going through is what I went through. I'd like to replace them with something adjustable but I don't want to take out the headliner and mod the aircraft for an inertia reel OR pay $1000 for the effort.
Does the strap go across your chest to the side of the fuselage, or is it dual straps going right above you, like in the pic? In my Comanche it's a single strap running across my torso to the side of the fuselage. I can definitely see the issue on the harness pictured.

Back