Latest WH Fence Climber

A couple years ago we were in DC on vacation. We walked around the WH on a nice evening. A couple of the guards were changing stations, and one was leaving the inner area to go outside onto the sidewalk and the street. He opened the inner gate, stepped into the"airlock", closed the inner gate, then opened the outer gate. As he stepped out, a lady tourist was goofing around and said, "Hold that door!" He joked, sort of, back at her and said, "Ma'am, if you go through that gate, we are going to have to rassle." I think she got the message that it wasn't a joking matter. As we walked around the back side, where Marine One lands all the time, we saw the black Suburbans driving around. The guys inside were geared up heavily, and plenty of binoculars and scopes were visible along the top of the WH. As we were walking along the path out back, a couple of Secret Service agents were quietly herding us all towards the side streets. I asked one guy about it, he just said that "something had come up". I noticed another guard smiling and nodding at us all as we walked past, he was carrying what looked like a kevlar-type briefcase with one hand inside; he was gripping some sort of short barreled rifle. They really have a large area to cover, larger than it looks on TV, and some dumbass can get over that fence faster than they can get guards out to get him. I bet they could drop someone with a shot from the roof, too, but that might not play well on the news.

They really have a large area to cover, larger than it looks on TV, and some dumbass can get over that fence faster than they can get guards out to get him. I bet they could drop someone with a shot from the roof, too, but that might not play well on the news.

A few years ago a dude actually got into the WH, remember that?

Agreed, it's a lot of area and a lot of fence to cover. If they wanted to prevent all climbers from getting on the fence, they would probably need electrification and razor wire. Somebody could still jump with a pogostick or something. And who wants The White House to look like a prison with killer fencing around?

I think they have it covered well. They have enough agents to chase down the perpetrators once they are on the inside where they easily become the prey.
I agree that putting a bullet in a dumb kid scaling the fence would not be the smartest idea.

Some modified pogo sticks are jumping better than 10 feet up. Man, I sure woulda killed myself on one of those....

Why don't they put one of those domes over the White House like the EPA put over Springfield?

I don't see how a fence hopper is even possible now.

When we were there in November, they had added another layer (or perimeter) to the White House fence, erecting a barrier about 15' in from the old wrought iron fence.
In this clear zone were armed guards, on patrol.

Sadly, you cannot even touch the old ornate wrought iron anymore.

Dang it! They pulled the plug on Mark again...

Back when I was in jr high school there were several attempts on Gerald Ford"s life (twice in 1975). I remember one of my teachers, he was either a football or wrestling coach, getting really angry about it after one of them. He went on an epic rant, that is still relavent even with attitudes today: "I wish the Secret Service would pull out a gun and blow those idiots' brains out all over national TV. Maybe that would teach them a lesson. You may not like him, you may not have voted for him, but by God he is still the President of the United States!"

A 15,000 volt fence charger, gated drive and three big dogs seem to work well keeping bear, deer, coyote, fox and 2-legged animals out of my place. And if that doesn't work, I have something else that will.

Back when I was in jr high school there were several attempts on Gerald Ford"s life (twice in 1975). I remember one of my teachers, he was either a football or wrestling coach, getting really angry about it after one of them. He went on an epic rant, that is still relavent even with attitudes today: "I wish the Secret Service would pull out a gun and blow those idiots' brains out all over national TV. Maybe that would teach them a lesson. You may not like him, you may not have voted for him, but by God he is still the President of the United States!"

Meh. We have a written succession tree for a reason, Presidents are quite expendable. No lack of people waiting in line to replace them, either.

I don't wish any harm on any of them, but the Republic will be just fine without any of them.

Back