Army Grob Crash

A "hard landing" as they call it, exceeds a vertical speed of 396 fpm. Looks like that won't buff out.

Oh yeah, I see their statement now. I was going by the story title. Still, they lost their one and only Grob 120TP. Go buy another one.

Stupid question, why does the army do fixed wing training if they don't have any fixed wing assets?

Probably transitioning from rotary wing is easier and cheaper using these single engine training aircraft. I'd guess they are wanting to save tax dollars. Just my guess.

Stupid question, why does the army do fixed wing training if they don't have any fixed wing assets?

Army has a few hundred fixed wing in the ISR & VIP transport roles. At one time (pre 1970s) they had more fixed wing than any other service. Just the fixed wing training program alone consists of C182, upset training in the Zlin (now Grob), BE58, C-12. After graduation they're looking at C/RC-12s, UC-35s, C-23s, RC-7s, C-26s, C-20s, UV-18s, C-31 (Golden Knights), T-6s. Probably a few others I left out.

Army has a lot of boats as well...****es off the Navy

Army has a few hundred fixed wing in the ISR & VIP transport roles. At one time (pre 1970s) they had more fixed wing than any other service. Just the fixed wing training program alone consists of C182, upset training in the Zlin (now Grob), BE58, C-12. After graduation they're looking at C/RC-12s, UC-35s, C-23s, RC-7s, C-26s, C-20s, UV-18s, C-31 (Golden Knights), T-6s. Probably a few others I left out.

Ah, okay. For some reason I thought the only birds they had were of the whirly variety. I think someone said a while back that the Air Force would never let the Army run the A-10 program because of some agreement that prevented fixed winged ops within the Army.

Ah, okay. For some reason I thought the only birds they had were of the whirly variety. I think someone said a while back that the Air Force would never let the Army run the A-10 program because of some agreement that prevented fixed winged ops within the Army.

Yep, Key West agreement and the Pace-Finletter MOU prevent the Army from obtaining tactical fixed wing. The OV-1 skirted the fringes on what was acceptable but the AF decided to let it slide.

Other operations such as troop / VIP transport and the recon role (ISR) are acceptable. Not my cup of tea but important roles none the less.

Last edited:
I left Wiesbaden Germany for Ft Hood in 91 and I believe the OV-1 left from there around the same time. Cool bird.

I left Wiesbaden Germany for Ft Hood in 91 and I believe the OV-1 left from there around the same time. Cool bird.

Yeah, always liked it. Worked a few when I did ATC. Think they were all gone by 96 out of Hunter.

Back