Windy in the midwest

PaulMKE

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PaulMKE
it seemed windy this morning, so I checked my trusty ForeFlight for the home drome METAR.

YIKES no xwind practice today!

Attachments

• IMG_5474.jpg
    IMG_5474.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 80
... and we have the biggest power outage in the Greater Detroit Area... 1 million without electricity!!! :hairraise:

Today I can go fix the shed roof. I guess when I reroofed it last Summer I was light with nails on the edge. That edge happened to be oriented towards the SW, got peeled up.

There are plenty of branches down also to add to my brushpile.

Here in NW New Mexico I watched a C-340 land with a 35G47 knot tailwind........ and make the first turnoff....(only one runway, no taxiway and the exit is about 1000 feet past the threshold).... Just a normal day here. Get used to the wind in spring or stay on the ground.

Also get used to sand forced into the nose, ears and eyes. I can't sleep on a bed that doesn't have a little sand in it.

Friend flew into ORD yesterday on an CR-170 and the pilot made two go arounds for wind.

Cheers

We had gusts 45-60 the past few days up here...fun

Here in NW New Mexico I watched a C-340 land with a 35G47 knot tailwind........ and make the first turnoff....(only one runway, no taxiway and the exit is about 1000 feet past the threshold)

I assume you meant a headwind. 1000' landing distance with almost 50 knots on the ass is quite a feat! :)

Ground roll on landing in TOL yesterday was 1500 ft in Challenger 300. 38gusts51. Down the runway
Dave

Highest gust at BJJ yesterday afternoon was 62....right down the runway, tho. :)

Jim

Blowing like stink in the mid Hudson Valley.
No one is making money renting airplanes in this part of the world.

it seemed windy this morning, so I checked my trusty ForeFlight for the home drome METAR.

YIKES no xwind practice today!

Meh. Maybe you just need to get a CFI and do some cross wind landing practice. Remember, the POH crosswind number isn't a limit; it's just demonstrated. ;)

Saw a bit over 150 mph on the nose on the way from SFO to SIN earlier this week. Hope that is still blowing as we head home tomorrow. :)

Back