Airplane detailing

ircphoenix

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ircphoenix
Anyone have a good (decent quality, decent price) aircraft detailer in the greater southern California region?

I've been quoted anywhere from $500 to $2000 for wash and machine wax/buff on my little Cherokee.

I pay $70 for a wash and scrub in Atlanta, GA. SoCal-tax won't explain the price difference, I think someone has a kid in college.

Wow! For $2000 I will travel over from Texas and do it!
Hey... That 2000 gets you the best possible miracle clear coat like snake oil substance known to man that will produce a brilliant shine, protect, and last forever.

I assume the guy who sold me that line of BS thinks forever is a year, since he said it had to be redone once a year, despite its magical properties.

Anyone have a good (decent quality, decent price) aircraft detailer in the greater southern California region?

I've been quoted anywhere from $500 to $2000 for wash and machine wax/buff on my little Cherokee.

We hope this isn't the first step down a path to sell your sometimes-hated airplane, now is it? :confused2:

There is a guy at El Monte airport that washes and waxes... first wash was $70. He wanted $450 to wash, buff out and wax the first time, and then $250 if done within 6 months of the buff.... I'm having the buff and wax done next month... as I wash it myself but not waxing it myself!.. Give him a call and ask...

Joey's mobile detail 626-806-9184

I like to do the work myself,having a small plane helps. It's a labor of love to hand wax your airplane. Also you get a close up look at the entire plane.

Man, I used to wash the top for free, but you had to pay for me to wash the bottom. Interior was extra.

I like to do the work myself,having a small plane helps. It's a labor of love to hand wax your airplane. Also you get a close up look at the entire plane.
I would too... But being tied down on the ramp doesn't lend itself to easily being buffed out... And the paint needs a good buffing. I've already hand washed and waxed the plane when I got it back in July but again... Definitely needs some love from a buffer.

We hope this isn't the first step down a path to sell your sometimes-hated airplane, now is it? :confused2:
Negative. I'm trying to appease the devil inside by making it pretty. Hopefully if the aero plane feels pretty, it'll stop acting ugly.

I would too... But being tied down on the ramp doesn't lend itself to easily being buffed out... And the paint needs a good buffing. I've already hand washed and waxed the plane when I got it back in July but again... Definitely needs some love from a buffer.
buy a Porter Cable 7424xp, some pads, and polish. You could do it yourself for 1/10th of the price.

buy a Porter Cable 7424xp, some pads, and polish. You could do it yourself for 1/10th of the price.
I was thinking about that. Also thinking of running an inverter off my car since the plane is on the ramp. But I figure I could fly somewhere and get it done for a decent price, and that would give me another excuse to go flying. :D

Be careful buffing because it is very easy to take the paint off of rivets. Plane outside for a significant time will not return to shiny. Paid $800 for a wash and wax job in the Austin Texas area. It is clean but nothing short of a paint job will work.

I was thinking about that. Also thinking of running an inverter off my car since the plane is on the ramp. But I figure I could fly somewhere and get it done for a decent price, and that would give me another excuse to go flying. :D

I was running numbers on an inverter+deepcycle to solve this problem recently, ended up buying a DA polisher attachment that I mated to my cordless drill. Initial experiments on my car were positive, will post a pirep when able. Not bad for a $40 toy tool.

See if you can borrow a hangar for a few hours.

I was running numbers on an inverter+deepcycle to solve this problem recently, ended up buying a DA polisher attachment that I mated to my cordless drill. Initial experiments on my car were positive, will post a pirep when able. Not bad for a $40 toy tool.

I didn't know that exists. That's nifty. Seems awfully cumbersome and awkward though.

I didn't know that exists. That's nifty. Seems awfully cumbersome and awkward though.

I use this to wax my Archer. It works really well. I thought it would be too small to get the wax on quickly, but it is the right size to get in between all of the small angles on the belly of my plane.

I use this to wax my Archer. It works really well. I thought it would be too small to get the wax on quickly, but it is the right size to get in between all of the small angles on the belly of my plane.

I was just looking at how long the thing is. Seems like that in and of itself would be difficult to use to get under the plane.

A buffer like that makes a big difference. We sell the same one at no mark-up just to encourage people to use the right tools to get the best possible results.

A buffer like that makes a big difference. We sell the same one at no mark-up just to encourage people to use the right tools to get the best possible results.
Sure does. Solid polisher for beginners/weekend warriors. I'm making the move to the owners club, so I'll probably be placing an order with you guys sometime soon.

Always wanted to break into aircraft detailing as a side job or as a general skill to have. Anyone in DFW have detailing tools and need a hand cleaning up a plane in exchange for ground instruction in buffing/polishing/waxing?

$500-2000 for wash and wax?
I can not justify that much expense unless I fly fancy jet.
I do it twice a year. Labor of love.

When mine was tied down I used a 200 watt power inverter and a jump pack to wax and buff my plane on the ramp . It worked great. I used Mequiars cleaner wax put on with a 6 inch orbital polisher and a micro fiber cloth to remove the bulk of the excess followed with a 10 inch buffer to finish and buff to a great shine. Could do my whole plane in about 4 to 5 hours.

I have the Porter Cable which I like pretty well, but the Mothers' Wax Attack is actually easier to use, has less vibration and can be held in one hand. I have a Honda EU2000i that is easy to transport and that makes things like polishing on the ramp, inflating tires or charging the battery pretty convenient. But if you don't have a generator, maybe there's an area near the FBO with an outlet that you can run a long extension cord to?

Just paid 650 outside of Boston. We will likely maintain it ourselves but it had been sitting outside for years without attention and needed a real polish. We were also quoted 500 by our FBO.

For a composite airplane, well worth it.

Figure 2.5 - 3 hours to properly clean a Cherokee at $60 hour.
Compound, wax, buffing obviously takes a lot longer.
Sorry, i dont know anybody in CA to send you to.

Am I the only weenie out there with a bicycle pump for inflating tires?

We have electric at the tiedown but I've found it to be the simplest solution.

I have the Porter Cable which I like pretty well, but the Mothers' Wax Attack is actually easier to use, has less vibration and can be held in one hand. I have a Honda EU2000i that is easy to transport and that makes things like polishing on the ramp, inflating tires or charging the battery pretty convenient. But if you don't have a generator, maybe there's an area near the FBO with an outlet that you can run a long extension cord to?

Are they washing it with Fiji Water? Holy crap!

Or, you're hiring "special talent."

Get a auto detailer and have him c-quarts or polymer coating by optimum. No need for any waxing whatsoever down the road, if u get a ton of bugs, use wash and wax from optimum , comes right off. The initial cost would substantial though. I had my SUV done this way, cost me 750 with a 5 yrs warranty, then I hand wash, 2 years after, it still shines like just waxed and it's a black SUV.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Unless u have good experience you will leave swirl marks everywhere

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I was just looking at how long the thing is. Seems like that in and of itself would be difficult to use to get under the plane.

It really isn't that bad. However, at the lowest part of the plane, you may have to get off of the creeper and lay flat on the floor to make sure you don't have to contort your body in awkward positions.

Light weight with no cord helps. This may not be the best options, but it works well for me and my modest budget.

The last two shops I used for annuals:

At one, I got not only a wash but also a wax.

At the other, I got neither. And they scratched my cowl. :(

You did it in the wrong order. Should've gone to the one that waxes second...they could've buffed out the scratches from the first shop...

I've had my Saratoga for almost 2 years. Paint looks good but I've only done a simple wash a few times. You guys mentioning the porter cable polisher are making me want to order one. It could use a good shine and I'm all about doing it myself for the simple satisfaction.

Back