TBM 900 Down BLI

Corporate registration to a company called '4197802 Manitoba Ltd.' Seems to be based in Winnipeg with multiple flights in the plains, Montana and upper midwest. Certainly not a stranger to snow.

Apparently going missed wasn't a good idea?
it operates in part 91 down here, he was departing, no minimums here for departure.
It was snowing with a 1/4 mile vis. premise is, it iced up at the hold short. then stalled at rotation.

He was taking off.
Yes he was departing in 1/4 mile vis with freezing rain and snow. stalled upon rotation then hit hard on the nose and slide down the runway to a stop pilot had minor injuries. could have been much worse.

Freezing rain at the surface is not conducive to a safe departure.

:yeahthat:

The Pacific NW has had a lot of cold weather this year. Looks like a cold front moving south yesterday. It was snowing/sleet in Vancouver, BC all morning and my Seattle biz partner emailed that it hit there just before the start of the evening rush hour.

it operates in part 91 down here, he was departing, no minimums here for departure.
It was snowing with a 1/4 mile vis. premise is, it iced up at the hold short. then stalled at rotation.

Got it.

The sad part.... today is 45-50 degrees and clear, a day late is a lot better than....

We're are you getting these facts from?

Didn't this just happen, so no NTSB, so unless you personally saw all this happen and knew how the plane was being flown, or there is a statement to the above from the pilot, I'm not sure where you got the details from.

Hey James, why don't you ask Tom in a friendlier manner instead of implying he's full of shet.

James331 said:

Didn't this just happen, so no NTSB, so unless you personally saw all this happen and knew how the plane was being flown, or there is a statement to the above from the pilot, I'm not sure where you got the details from.

Last edited:
Freezing rain will shut everyone down. (At least it should)

Freezing rain will shut everyone down. (At least it should)

At the time this happened in Belingham,,, my friend in Port Orchard had a white yard full of hail,,, I,,, just south of Belfair had a good breeze from the south west, clear skys, high tide,,, just another beautiful spring day in paradise....

From the guy (pilot) of the A/C that was right behind him In the hold short. Watched it all happen from a front seat view.

Hey James, why don't you ask Tom in a friendlier manner instead of implying he's full of shet.

You've been quite sensitive lately, I didn't really anything mean, just asked where he got those facts from, being mean would have been to say he's full of shet, which I didn't do. Just wanted to know how he knew what flight rules the plane was operating under, how it was "iced up" at the hold short line, etc.

From the guy (pilot) of the A/C that was right behind him In the hold short. Watched it all happen from a front seat view.

I wouldn't spread that around, it's not something you actually saw, or from the mouth of the guy who advanced the throttles, nor the findings of any respectable investigation.

No, not sensitive. If you read and comprehend what Tom write you would deduce he knows of the plane , what the weather was at the time, etc.

You've been quite sensitive lately, I didn't really anything mean, just asked where he got those facts from, being mean would have been to say he's full of shet, which I didn't do. Just wanted to know how he knew what flight rules the plane was operating under, how it was "iced up" at the hold short line, etc.
James, ask your self how would a privately owned Canadian aircraft operate in the US?

I wouldn't spread that around, it's not something you actually saw, or from the mouth of the guy who advanced the throttles, nor the findings of any respectable investigation.

See what I mean James?

The NTSB was on scene less than 30 minutes talked to the pilot. that tells us some thing..
They also talked to my friend that was right behind him.. so it's a pretty much a forgone conclusion.

Someone piled up a nice plane, overall had a pretty crappy day, and here comes the speculation crowd, "oh well I heard", there but for the grace of god go I, I know y'all probably wouldnt want people spouting off left and right things they heard second hand if you were in that poor guys shoes.

Someone piled up a nice plane, overall had a pretty crappy day, and here comes the speculation crowd, "oh well I heard", there but for the grace of god go I, I know y'all probably wouldnt want people spouting off left and right things they heard second hand if you were in that poor guys shoes.

Doesn't change what you wrote about Tom though does it.

I have it in good authority that his AOA was inoperable due to freezing conditions.

I learn from speculation because while it's usually wrong, each scenario has some learning associated with it. I just assume that in any accident thread where people were hurt, non-pilot friends and relatives of the victims are going to read the post. Having said that, assuming the weather is as described, what the heck was someone doing at the hold short line? Practicing their low-vis taxiing technique with no intention of taking off into that weather? Or perhaps it's "there but the grace of god plus the guy in front of me who tried and failed in front of my eyes go I?"

I am not certain but I believe the TBM is approved for flight in known icing. Was the anti-icing working on the plane? Was it turned on?

I know approved does not mean it is always smart to go ahead and go.

It is my understanding it was a pt 91 flight. If so then a pt 91 flight can take off in zero/zero conditions. Again, does not make it smart to do so, but the pilot can certainly try it unless it is prohibited by something.

what the heck was someone doing at the hold short line? Practicing their low-vis taxiing technique with no intention of taking off into that weather?
Waiting to make a back taxi on 16 to the ramp

OBTW boy's and girls, my bad, it was a TBM 700 if that makes a difference ?

OBTW boy's and girls, my bad, it was a TBM 700 if that makes a difference ?

The TBM900 is still on the TBM700 type certificate. They are all TBM700s.

I am not certain but I believe the TBM is approved for flight in known icing. Was the anti-icing working on the plane? Was it turned on?

Anti-icing is designed to shed ice in flight. Not very efficient if you get snowed upon with wet snow or freezing drizzle on the ground. The question is whether he had the plane de-iced by the FBO and covered with a suitable deicing fluid with some hold-over time.

Oh Well, so what's the difference?

TBM850, 900, 930 are just marketing names for newer versions of the same airframe. Iirc the 'TBM850' is officially a TBM700-N2.

Back