Rental in Seattle area to British Columbia?

G-Man

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AirmanG
Just wondering what might be involved with renting a Cessna 172 or similar in the Seattle area and flying it into Victoria International Airport in greater Vancouver, British Columbia.

(If there is a better GA airport nearby, that's fine.)

It'd be my first time doing GA into Canada, no CANPASS, rented plane, etc. Not experienced with overwater flying.

Fantastic fun worth the effort? Just take the ferry?
Thanks...

There is a 172 that rents at OKH , it's only 40 miles to Victoria BC.
I'll get the owners number tomorrow. and there is Cascade Aviation at BVS.

What's involved in bringing a rental plane across the border?

What's involved in bringing a rental plane across the border?
no different than one you own.

I can't get the owner to answer his phone.

Nothing more than any other plane. You have to file the international flight plan and go through customs each way. I think everyone needs a passport now. The FBO might have issues, like insurance. You are going to have to get checked out of course. That's always a bit of a problem.

Might just fly to Orcas Island or Friday Harbor and fly around the San Juan Islands if Canada is too much trouble.

You'll want to check this out: https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/destinations/international-travel/canada

I'm guessing the US-based rental aircraft will require a DHS decal. Also, Canada Border Services Agency (aka customs) would want assurances that the plane will indeed return to the US (ie not being imported). Have good paperwork.

I considered a cross-border rental flight like the one you have in mind in simpler pre-9/11 days (renting in Vermont, flying into Quebec, returning to Vermont). Can't remember the details, it was so long ago, but I do recall that an info-gathering phone call to what was then Canada Customs was worthwhile. Good luck!

You'll want to check this out: https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/destinations/international-travel/canada

I'm guessing the US-based rental aircraft will require a DHS decal. Also, Canada Border Services Agency (aka customs) would want assurances that the plane will indeed return to the US (ie not being imported). Have good paperwork.

I considered a cross-border rental flight like the one you have in mind in simpler pre-9/11 days (renting in Vermont, flying into Quebec, returning to Vermont). Can't remember the details, it was so long ago, but I do recall that an info-gathering phone call to what was then Canada Customs was worthwhile. Good luck!
Let's remember Canada has not changed their policies WE did going up = can pass, coming back jump thru all the hoops.

Kinda a hassle for a short trip. I would do Orcas Island or Friday Harbor, maybe ferry there & back if the schedule matches up and you must go to Canada.

Even leaving the U.S. one has to do the notify with Eapis, customs sticker, and the rest. I thinks it's to much for a short visit.

When I lived in Oak Harbor I took a rental to the Chilko Lake Lodge for a fishing trip. We got customs in Nenamo(sp??) then to the gravel runway at the lodge. I also did Friday Harbor and Orcas a bunch. There are plenty of islands and a few runways, just fly high, it's not true 'blue water ops'.

Sorry, I knew the spelling was off but I didn't feel like looking it up. That trip was back in the pre-eapis days, no issues.

It's a freaking nightmare now. TSA and Customs are every where and they believe every aircraft is full of drugs.

Thanks for the info all, especially romacpher. Sounds like way way too much hassle and expense just for a lark.

Back