John King Denied Medical

Won't he be able to use the new medical policy to go to his personal doctor instead once that goes into effect? Or is it once you are in this loop you can't use the new policy?

I'm confused as to why it's a third class he's being denied of..?

Once denied, u don't qualify for basicmed

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

He's screwed on BasicMed as he is denied now.

I doubt the NTSB is going to rule for him no matter how many lawyers he stuffs at the problem. Mind you, I like John. He's been to my house. But to prevail at the NTSB he has to show the FAA misapplied the existing standards. That's are to do. He won't prevail arguing their standards are unreasonable.
Unless he has positive proof that the seizure can be traced to some etiology that will not recur, he's going to be banned. The fact that he's been seizure free for 2-3 years means little.

It's okay, he can still fly.

He'll just need Martha or another CFI in the plane.

If enough drone pilots sign up for AOPA they will come to the rescue....

I wonder what grave risk he supposedly poses to the public.

Even crashing the jet into a schoolyard of kids and nuns is still such a small event in total deaths compared to other things that happen daily, it's nearly a statistical anomaly.

Not really. Medical is based on what privileges you seek to exercise.
I understand that. Just didn't know that he wasn't intending to exercise his CPL+ privileges any longer.

Martha's been on an SI for something for a long time.

Even crashing the jet into a schoolyard of kids and nuns is still such a small event in total deaths compared to other things that happen daily, it's nearly a statistical anomaly.
The FAA is historically hard on medical conditions they don't understand. It's low hanging fruit from a PR standpoint. Other than the aviation community, who cares about a pilot, even a prominent, being denied a medical? OTOH, crash that one jet into that one schoolyard accompanied by the headline "FAA ALLOWS PILOT TO FLY DESPITE SEIZURE" and just watch people take notice.

I'm confused as to why it's a third class he's being denied of..?
Pretty standard for people to apply just for what they need. AFAIK, John King has been in the aviation instruction business for a long time. If he ever flew for hire in an operation that required a higher class of medical, it was probably long ago.

I don't think either John or Martha had a more commercial flying job other than flight instruction (which these days can be done with either a third or no medical, depending). They probably had a second class at one point because that was required to get a commercial back in "the day" (this was changed in 1997 I think). Their first business (unsuccessful) was running a truck service operation. After that, they started the flight training video operation (I'm not even sure they were ever conventional "flight instructors"). They do have between them just about every pilot certificate and rating there is.

Think of the children. The schoolyard should be a safe place.

You need to think like a politician trolling for votes or a bureaucrat that doesn't want criticism (or firing). Science and statistics just isn't important compared to emotions.

You need to think like a politician trolling for votes or a bureaucrat that doesn't want criticism (or firing). Science and statistics just isn't important compared to emotions.
We've devolved a long way from the independent, live and let live ideas of the founding fathers. Yeah, it allows for bad things to happen, but it doesn't take freedoms away from innocent people - and the bad things keep happening even though the rules against them are multiplying exponentially.

Let's face it, he was denied in 2015, for a seizure , It's over. That is one of the biggies as far as things they will not allow you to fly with.

I know of a student pilot who had a seizure during a lesson. He locked up the controls and the instructor just barely was able to save them from crashing.

My take away is do not tell anyone anything. He went to the hospital and now it is on the record. One event does not make a trend. Say I told the FAA that I got dizzy by standing up. I know that it was because I was dehydrated and stood up too fast but the FAA won't care. If he had not gone he would have his 3rd class.

My take away is do not tell anyone anything. He went to the hospital and now it is on the record....If he had not gone he would have his 3rd class.
Yup...cuz it's always better to risk your health than risk your medical.:rolleyes:

My take away is do not tell anyone anything. He went to the hospital and now it is on the record. One event does not make a trend. Say I told the FAA that I got dizzy by standing up. I know that it was because I was dehydrated and stood up too fast but the FAA won't care. If he had not gone he would have his 3rd class.
Yes... but would you really not go if you had a seizure, fercrissakes ??

I had a situation that I could have tried to wait out... but it would likely have been fatal. And as a result, I am grounded. But I am alive. Better grounded than dead.

Although there is a difference: I would only be permanently grounded if I applied for 3rd class and was denied. My situation, successfully treated and thoroughly evaluated since, does not fall into the categories requiring the one-time SI. Unfortunately, JK's does. :(

I try not to think like professional liars who serve no significant purpose in any normal society.

Unfortunately, he (and his jet) are too "high profile" to just fly anyway, medical or no medical.

Unfortunately, he (and his jet) are too "high profile" to just fly anyway, medical or no medical.
By that logic, I (and my Cardinal) could just go "fly anyway". :(

I don't think "high profile" is really relevant here.

The FAA is historically hard on medical conditions they don't understand. It's low hanging fruit from a PR standpoint. Other than the aviation community, who cares about a pilot, even a prominent, being denied a medical? OTOH, crash that one jet into that one schoolyard accompanied by the headline "FAA ALLOWS PILOT TO FLY DESPITE SEIZURE" and just watch people take notice.

There was once a time when we were not morons and didn't expect government to protect us from the UNKNOWN. Beat head here.

We've devolved a long way from the independent, live and let live ideas of the founding fathers. Yeah, it allows for bad things to happen, but it doesn't take freedoms away from innocent people - and the bad things keep happening even though the rules against them are multiplying exponentially.

I'm sure more people will be injured and killed by CFIT than seizures this year, just like every year.

I don't think either John or Martha had a more commercial flying job other than flight instruction (which these days can be done with either a third or no medical, depending). They probably had a second class at one point because that was required to get a commercial back in "the day" (this was changed in 1997 I think). Their first business (unsuccessful) was running a truck service operation. After that, they started the flight training video operation (I'm not even sure they were ever conventional "flight instructors"). They do have between them just about every pilot certificate and rating there is.

Wasn't their first successful training business making accounting courses? Or was that Gleim?

I was under the impression it was the Kings but one of them made their nut from the hoard of people who wanted to pass accounting tests not the relatively small number of pilots taking tests in comparison.

Now that I think about it, I think that was Gleim.

I'll ponder it over my fancy tacos at Torchy's Tacos.

Aforementioned tacos. :) They'll probably be the cause of me losing a medical someday...

Pre-Diablo sauce. Which could be hotter if you ask me, but it's warm...

41c03b8b2e5b56b0ac13ebb70436f389.jpg

And yes. These are the breakfast tacos for dinner because, they rock. :)

Yup...cuz it's always better to risk your health than risk your medical.:rolleyes:
As you said, my health, my call.
Doctors do relatively little. A cardiologist friend of mine observed that in about half of heart attacks, death is the first symptom. The rest live.
If the FAA was more reasonable and less stupid things would be better.

Gleim is the accounting guy.

My understanding is that in the 80s the Kings did a traveling weekend groundschool that became quite popular, so they decided to put it to video. Not sure what they were doing before then.

My understanding is that in the 80s the Kings did a traveling weekend groundschool that became quite popular, so they decided to put it to video. Not sure what they were doing before then.
I think this is true, because I know someone who told me that she had been one of their instructors when they got too busy to handle all the groundschools. The 80s sounds right.

Back