182 down knoxville

Sounds like the family is grasping for straws hoping to become independently wealthy.

I think this claim will get squashed. First of all, the plane wasn't even legal to fly since it didn't have the required annual inspection. Secondly, the pilot and plane wasn't IFR certified and he flew into IMC conditions.

The claim should not only get squashed but the people doing the suing and the lawyers attempting should have to fit the bill for both sides rather than the taxpayer (FAA).

I'm terribly sorry for their loss of loved ones. Absolutely horrible but damnit this is one of those cases where a VFR pilot crashed flying into IMC. Purely pilot error. I hate this culture of "it's always someone else's fault".

The claim should not only get squashed but the people doing the suing and the lawyers attempting should have to fit the bill for both sides rather than the taxpayer (FAA).

I'm terribly sorry for their loss of loved ones. Absolutely horrible but damnit this is one of those cases where a VFR pilot crashed flying into IMC. Purely pilot error. I hate this culture of "it's always someone else's fault".

I couldn't agree more. When I'm flying...I'm always aware at all times my exact position.

I told my wife last night that if I ever become heap of scrap metal, to not blame anyone else but me...the builder, maintainer and PIC. Jeez, people are so rediculous. Hopefully I am solo, but my immediate family or CFI (for 2 yr FR) are the only ones in my plane.

First time I have seen this noted as a contributing cause:

Contributing to the accident was the pilot's established anti-authority attitude.

I hate to harp on it, but flying serious cross country without an instrument rating and instrument capable plane is playing Russian Roulette with your pax. :(

No

Its the same VFR or IFR, know your limits and your airplanes limits and you’re good.

In many ways VFR is actually safer, and that’s coming from someone who flys a ton of hard IFR.

Agree, been ssaying tthis for years.

From the NTSB’s report:
“The pilot held a private pilot certificate with a rating for airplane single-engine land. He was issued a third-class medical certificate on December 3, 2013, and he reported 12 total hours of flight experience on that date. That certificate expired on the pilot's 40th birthday in September 2015.”

If he was issued a third class medical while he was younger than 40 why would it expire less than 2 years later? That third class should have been good for 60 months. Would a restriction from an SI had caused it to expire on his 40th birthday?

From the NTSB’s report:
“The pilot held a private pilot certificate with a rating for airplane single-engine land. He was issued a third-class medical certificate on December 3, 2013, and he reported 12 total hours of flight experience on that date. That certificate expired on the pilot's 40th birthday in September 2015.”

If he was issued a third class medical while he was younger than 40 why would it expire less than 2 years later? That third class should have been good for 60 months. Would a restriction from an SI had caused it to expire on his 40th birthday?

Sounds like whoever wrote the NTSB report misread Part 61 regarding duration of a medical.

Back