Considering Grumman Tiger - Grass Strip

MtPJimB

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RVFlyboy
Considering a Grumman AG5B Tiger and would be operating primarily in and out of a grass strip. Any issues with that plane on a grass strip that I should be aware of?

There shouldn't be any issues. Keep in mind you steer the Tiger with the brakes & it has a castering nose wheel. If the grass is wet it may slip & slide a little.

You'll get used to it.

Having owned a Tiger I can say that would not be the best environment for the Tiger.

Probably should ditch your wheel pants.
.....and a three bladed MT prop would give you more clearance - $

How long is the strip, what's the field elevation, is it nice and smooth or rough, do they cut the grass fairly short regularly or leave it long, that makes a big difference when its wet, any obstructions on the ends, and how tall are they?
Certain strips might be usable in the cool morning and not in the hot afternoon. Temps, altitude and weight are factors. No one here can give you a very definitive answer without some more basic info.

Last edited:
Quality of the strip makes all the difference. I think the Tiger would do fine on a well groomed runway.

I've noticed that the nose wheel seems to be a bit bouncier than one with an oleo strut.

I have landed and taken off from grass many times in my Tiger as well as in 172s. This includes some shorter fields with trees at the end. The tiger will be fine. Ground effect works well but fully loaded you will need to have some runway length.

As long as it's maintained (the plane and the strip) should be fine with proper technique.

I used to fly in to a fairly short (1800'), dead end strip with my Grumman AA5 Traveler without any problems. The Tiger has a full 30 horsepower on the Traveler, so given good technique and a well groomed batch of grass you should be fine. The Flying M was a well groomed strip, and I never went in fully loaded. Property issues wound up shortening the strip to 1,000 feet and it is still OK for my Maule, but the Grummans better stay away.

You're gonna get a prop strike if there are any ruts.
This is true. A well groomed grass strip is no problem for any tri gear provided its in nice condition and well taken care of. (A mooney is fine on a strip like this for instance) . Wet, rutted, high spots, etc. your taking a chance. I've been in grass fields, strips in a cessna 180 or a citabria for instance that I'd never have taken my Mooney. Common sense.

Yes, but only if you know the plane very well, and I'd say know the field very well also. Grummans, for all of their really fun flight characteristics, are not really good short field machines.

On grass, any airplane tends to need its air filter changed quite often, and there is a greater chance of nicks. I suggest you NOT runup on the grass, do that back on pavement. My wheel pants rattled and wore a hole larger (I took them off). YMMV.

Grummans, for all of their really fun flight characteristics, are not really good short field machines.

They're not that bad either. I flew one out of a 2300' field and never used more than half the runway. My checkout even included a no flap landing (OK, I used more than half the runway on that one).

Strip is 2700' with 3000' cleared. Opens to lake on one end and trees on other end. Field elevation is 495'. Middle Georgia so hot summers and mild winters. Not the smoothest strip in the world but reasonably well maintained. Grass is very short. Currently flying a Beech Musketeer. Another pilot on the field operates a Bonanza and a newly built RV-3.

It's not the most robust nosewheel to begin with. Look at the Tiger nosewheel then look at a 172. Mechanics unfamiliar with the Grumman frequently install the crush-washer upside down on it.

Not much grass landing in my area;) If I were to, it'd be at Llano (KAQO) - their strip looks like a fairway it's so smooth.

Nose wheel assembly on the Tiger is actually pretty good, especially compared to the original RV nose wheels (non-modified).

The mechanic who does our Tiger's annual is located at Sunrise Beach (2KL) which is a well-maintained ~2600' grass strip. He owns a Cheetah himself, and there are several other Grumman owners based at that field. I enjoy flying in and out of there; the only problem is dodging the deer, who unfortunately (but naturally) also seem to like the well-maintained grass. I avoid landing there near dusk because of that, but otherwise it's no problem.

In fact, I took a friend up there just a few days ago to pick up his Tiger from annual, and after leaving there we flew straight over to Llano (AQO) for llunch, and I llanded on the turf strip there. Even though Llano has a paved runway too, I couldn't resist the direct flight taking off from 30 at 2KL and landing straight in on 31 at AQO!

But, yeah, I do get grass stains on the wheel pants sometimes.

Never landed mine on turf but other than that, love its economy and sporty feel. You can't go wrong with a Tiger.

I was a passenger in a tiger 1500' strip with obsticals on both ends. Plane had no issues. I wouldn't do it with my skills but the owner does it all the time as his shop is located on that strip and is one of the few Grumman experts around.

There is grass, and there is grass. Ours is never soft and we've had just about everything in here without problems. Worst case is it gets wet and then it gets a little slick, but never really soft. On grass that gets soft, I'd indeed worry about that nosegear.

I found this thread when I was considering landing on grass in my Tiger. After worrying about it and triple checking the data I was convinced it would be fine, and it was. I flew to Massey Aerodrome in MD (MD1), which is in great shape. The plane performed exactly as the book said it would, and the experience was great. I will do this again.

If you get the chance to visit Massey, go for it. They have a neat museum on the field.

Tiger on grass????? No problem !!!
images

Strip is 2700' with 3000' cleared. Opens to lake on one end and trees on other end. Field elevation is 495'. Middle Georgia so hot summers and mild winters. Not the smoothest strip in the world but reasonably well maintained. Grass is very short. Currently flying a Beech Musketeer. Another pilot on the field operates a Bonanza and a newly built RV-3.
This length is doable if you are proficient in handling the Grumman by POH numbers. I used to practice grass field TO&L on a 3000 foot grass strip at a nearby (now closed) airport in my Traveler, which has less power (150 hp) than the Tiger (180 hp).

I wouldn’t like to operate any tricycle gear off grass with wheel fairings installed.

Are there any upgrades or reinforcements for Tiger nosewheels?

Back