Saw a V-22 Osprey practicing T/L at a GA airport

jimwomble

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
jimw
Today saw a V-22 Osprey practicing T/L at KOFP Hanover airport today in Marine One color scheme. This is about the last plane I thought you would see doing touch and goes at a small civilian airport. Is this the latest aircraft to be added to the presidential fleet and if so seems to be an expensive addition.

They come out to KSFQ from time to time, usually doing something with the skydivers though.

Seems to be a craft to keep a wide berth from, due to rotor wash. Other than that, cool.

Osprey is not yet designated a "White Top" so no POTUS onboard until further reliability testing is completed.

They often come to airports around here, KILM and KSUT. The rotors clean off the runways nicely. :)

Group of them based here in ABQ. I've seen them taxiing while I'm taking off a handful of times.

Oh, and they love flying over my neighborhood too, which really rattles the windows!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Today saw a V-22 Osprey practicing T/L at KOFP Hanover airport today in Marine One color scheme. This is about the last plane I thought you would see doing touch and goes at a small civilian airport. Is this the latest aircraft to be added to the presidential fleet and if so seems to be an expensive addition.
They are based at Marine Corps Base Quantico and and are part of HMX-1, the squadron responsible for VIP transport. They fly by my office in DC all of the time. You'll hear them on the radio with the nighthawk call sign.
They come out to KSFQ from time to time, usually doing something with the skydivers though.
Down at our place in Frisco NC (Outer Banks) we see V-22s flying touch-n-gos into Billy Mitchell Airport. They're based at Cherry Point and probably the same ones you see at SFQ.

Norfolk has them as well. They don't fly much though.

Group of them based here in ABQ. I've seen them taxiing while I'm taking off a handful of times.

Oh, and they love flying over my neighborhood too, which really rattles the windows!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup they're Air Force Ospreys based at Kirtland AFB outside of Albuquerque.

300px-CV-22_Osprey_in_flight.jpg

As in Norfolk NAS? Haven't seen them there and I fly over all of the time. I'll have to look again.

Yeah Marine Reserve unit (HMM-774) just transitioned out of their CH-46s last year. Friend at work flys with them...when they're not down for maintenance. ;)

Yup they're Air Force Ospreys based at Kirtland AFB outside of Albuquerque.

300px-CV-22_Osprey_in_flight.jpg

These guys were doing practice approaches into Gallup one day. I was living in the RV park right off the end of the runway. And yes, they really shook my RV, and everyone elses as well....:lol::lol::lol:

These guys were doing practice approaches into Gallup one day. I was living in the RV park right off the end of the runway. And yes, they really shook my RV, and everyone elses as well....:lol::lol::lol:

Oh "rocked your world" did they, or were you doing something else in that RV, hmmmm?

Osprey is not yet designated a "White Top" so no POTUS onboard until further reliability testing is completed.
When might that be? It's flown since the mid eightys,it's killed a bunch of military and one recently crashed in Yemen being totally destroyed by its crew after a " hard landing". It is very unstable low to the ground, wants to flip on its side. Does not function well in combat conditions due to tremendous down wash near the ground and is prone to be disabled easily by light arms fire. In other words its a lobbyists dream and a taxpayers nightmare. Another is the F 35 which should have been cancelled years ago.

Last edited:
I've seen them at F95. They're not allowed to use the runway. They have to use the field adjacent to the airport.

Had one down at Sebastian recently that created a six foot wide... pothole on a taxiway.

osprey 1.jpg

When might that be? It's flown since the mid eightys,it's killed a bunch of military and one recently crashed in Yemen being totally destroyed by its crew after a " hard landing". It is very unstable low to the ground, wants to flip on its side. Does not function well in combat conditions due to tremendous down wash near the ground and is prone to be disabled easily by light arms fire. In other words its a lobbyists dream and a taxpayers nightmare. Another is the F 35 which should have been cancelled years ago.

Just...Stop. I don't like Ospreys either. I think their pilots are dum-dums and the way they do business is dumb. However, they've acquitted themselves in every way for the past decade and some more. And don't even touch Yemen. You don't know anything about what they were doing there so don't pretend.

You think their crash record is bad? Go look at the CH-46. Or the 53. Or the Sea King (which is the President's current ride!). All heinous. All from the early times of helicopters. There is a price for R&D, and part of it usually includes blood no matter how we try to minimize it. Get over it.

Jimmy cooper - don't you know that the truth is not popular these days rather the alternative reality is in these days. Didn't Marine aviation insist on the need for the V-22 and the F35 - two white elephants if there ever was. And in this day and time why is their a need for Marine aviation anyway. In truth both these aircraft were designed and built in Texas and are really welfare programs for Texans and the subcontractors. Hate to think that last fighter to be in production will be the F35. Well at least Textron got rich on the V-22 program and probably helps keep single engine Cessna's and Beechcraft in production.

Jimmy cooper - don't you know that the truth is not popular these days rather the alternative reality is in these days. Didn't Marine aviation insist on the need for the V-22 and the F35 - two white elephants if there ever was. And in this day and time why is their a need for Marine aviation anyway. In truth both these aircraft were designed and built in Texas and are really welfare programs for Texans and the subcontractors. Hate to think that last fighter to be in production will be the F35. Well at least Textron got rich on the V-22 program and probably helps keep single engine Cessna's and Beechcraft in production.

Truth is, there's no need for a Marine Corps. The only reason it exists is because the American public wants it. Thing is, you don't get the Marine Corps without Marine aviation. It's not the Marine Corps without it, and it never can be. So go ahead and let your Congressman know that you think it's a waste. You're probably onto something with that Texas welfare program thing, too. The J-20 is just a Chinese piece of junk, right?

Just...Stop. I don't like Ospreys either. I think their pilots are dum-dums and the way they do business is dumb. However, they've acquitted themselves in every way for the past decade and some more. And don't even touch Yemen. You don't know anything about what they were doing there so don't pretend.

You think their crash record is bad? Go look at the CH-46. Or the 53. Or the Sea King (which is the President's current ride!). All heinous. All from the early times of helicopters. There is a price for R&D, and part of it usually includes blood no matter how we try to minimize it. Get over it.
You get over it! your rant shows your totally ignorant of the Ospreys history and its sorry performance for the past twenty five years. You need to read more before engaging in an absurd arguement. The osprey is a barking dog. Even idiotic Cheney tried to cancel it to no avail. Grow up.

You get over it! your rant shows your totally ignorant of the Ospreys history and its sorry performance for the past twenty five years. You need to read more before engaging in an absurd arguement. The osprey is a barking dog. Even idiotic Cheney tried to cancel it to no avail. Grow up.
You're absolutely right. I know nothing about it. Where are my manners? Far be it from me to keep you from tilting at whichever windmills you please.

As in Norfolk NAS? Haven't seen them there and I fly over all of the time. I'll have to look again.
There are at least two MV-22s based at Chambers ext to the HSC hangars. They replaced the -46s that were there until a year or two ago.

But those Chambers based MV-22s are haze grey, not VIP birds.

Back