Rebuilt engine for the 182

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Remember the gears with the missing teeth ?

Its back rom Western Skyways and installed, with a new prop.

To Iran the old McCauley cost was $6500.00, a new Hartzell was $8k so the owner went with a new one.

first start yesterday, ran great.

Attachments

• 20170218_112649.jpg
    20170218_112649.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 20170218_112718.jpg
    20170218_112718.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Looks good Tom, what you figure the owners final bill will be?
I am not privy to that info.
If I had to venture a guess, the whole Firewall Forward should be between 25 and 30k. because there is all new accessories, hoses, baffling, a Lot of little nickel dime stuff that adds up so fast.

I am not privy to that info.
If I had to venture a guess, the whole Firewall Forward should be between 25 and 30k. because there is all new accessories, hoses, baffling, a Lot of little nickel dime stuff that adds up so fast.
thanks Tom, that's about what I figured for a 182 O/H.

This was a owner under supervision. his aircraft is better than new. one meticulous SOB.

I know what you mean, I am the same way. I am the only person I know of that torques their boat trailer tires. :D

That's why I think I would be a good candidate for owner assisted repairs/annuals.

That and I have all the tools, mostly snap on, so some good quality stuff.

I know what you mean, I am the same way. I am the only person I know of that torques their boat trailer tires. :D

That's why I think I would be a good candidate for owner assisted repairs/annuals.

That and I have all the tools, mostly snap on, so some good quality stuff.
Easy to say.. but you earn the trust. If ya know what I mean.

Easy to say.. but you earn the trust. If ya know what I mean.

yep, I know what you mean.

At the shop I worked at we hired a guy right out of MMI and had all the nicest tools. He was having trouble doing simple Mx.:eek:

We are glad your install is going well. If you need anything please let us know.

yep, I know what you mean.

At the shop I worked at we hired a guy right out of MMI and had all the nicest tools. He was having trouble doing simple Mx.:eek:

He had the nicest tools because they could be financed with student loans. I work with a few guys like that, they don't know one end of an engine from the other but they have nice tools because they got them while in school.

He had the nicest tools because they could be financed with student loans. I work with a few guys like that, they don't know one end of an engine from the other but they have nice tools because they got them while in school.

That sounds about right. You would thought they would have spent more time in the class room and the shop than on the Tool Truck.

That sounds about right. You would thought they would have spent more time in the class room and the shop than on the Tool Truck.
This morning I got the pleasure of inspecting a repair that the A&P wanted me to return to service on a 337. I think it was done by the guy you are talking about. I refused, marked the block "REJECTED" Signed it, made 3 copies and mailed the FAAs copy to OKC. kept one copy for my records, and gave the owner their copy.

This morning I got the pleasure of inspecting a repair that the A&P wanted me to return to service on a 337. I think it was done by the guy you are talking about. I refused, marked the block "REJECTED" Signed it, made 3 copies and mailed the FAAs copy to OKC. kept one copy for my records, and gave the owner their copy.

some people either don't take pride in their work or just don't know any better.

That would have been great if it were the proper way to reject a 337.

nice trusting guy. :)
That would be you. All someone has to do is single line through your rejected check mark and check the approved box.... you said you've signed the approval for return to service.

Folks, forgive Tom, he's having an aw-**** moment, right now...

Last edited:
I really hope a 337 marked rejected didn't end up scanned and entered into the registry...

I really hope a 337 marked rejected didn't end up scanned and entered into the registry...

an AC YET. and I did give the rejected form back to the A&P. the 337 was completed correctly.

And you think ignoring the instructions right on the 337 constitutes correctly and legally completing it?
The form directs you to 43. Appendix B which is the regulation and it says :

(c) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this appendix, for a major repair or major alteration made by a person authorized in §43.17, the person who performs the major repair or major alteration and the person authorized by §43.17 to approve that work shall execute an FAA Form 337 at least in duplicate. A completed copy of that form shall be—

(1) Given to the aircraft owner; and

(2) Forwarded to the Federal Aviation Administration, Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-750, Post Office Box 25504, Oklahoma City, OK 73125, within 48 hours after the work is inspected.

I believe I did exactly that. plus I kept a copy for my activity sheet. as renewal is next month. :)

Are you telling me that the GS-1s in Ok City are doing little less than looking at the "337" number at the top of the page and filing them. You must be kidding.

Jim

This is why it is SO important to get the CD history records from OKC on any aircraft you intend to buy.

When a 337 is filed as rejected and filed there must be a 337 correcting it.

The form directs you to 43. Appendix B which is the regulation and it says :

(c) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this appendix, for a major repair or major alteration made by a person authorized in §43.17, the person who performs the major repair or major alteration and the person authorized by §43.17 to approve that work shall execute an FAA Form 337 at least in duplicate. A completed copy of that form shall be—

(1) Given to the aircraft owner; and

(2) Forwarded to the Federal Aviation Administration, Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-750, Post Office Box 25504, Oklahoma City, OK 73125, within 48 hours after the work is inspected.

I believe I did exactly that. plus I kept a copy for my activity sheet. as renewal is next month. :)

What's sad, Tom, is you cherry picked the regulations till you found someting that suited your defense without researching it completely.

43. Appendix B (c) pertains to: "Maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations performed on U.S. aeronautical products by certain Canadian persons." Look up 43.17

Does that apply to you, Tom? I don't believe so.

Maybe you should be following 43 Appendix B (a), which reads:

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this appendix, each person performing a major repair or major alteration shall—
(1) Execute FAA Form 337 at least in duplicate;
(2) Give a signed copy of that form to the aircraft owner; and
(3) Forward a copy of that form to the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, within 48 hours after the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance is approved for return to service.

Maybe there's a good reason the 337 instructions read:

"INSTRUCTIONS: Print or type all entries. See Title 14 CFR §43.9, Part 43 Appendix B, and AC 43.9-1 (or subsequent revision thereof) for instructions and disposition of this form. This report is required by law (49 U.S.C. §44701). Failure to report can result in a civil penalty for each such violation. (49 U.S.C. §46301(a))"

Last edited:
What's sad, Tom, is you cherry picked the regulations till you found someting that suited your defense without researching it completely.

43. Appendix B (c) pertains to: "Maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations performed on U.S. aeronautical products by certain Canadian persons." Look up 43.17

Does that apply to you, Tom? I don't believe so.

Maybe you should be following 43 Appendix B (a), which reads:

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this appendix, each person performing a major repair or major alteration shall—
(1) Execute FAA Form 337 at least in duplicate;
(2) Give a signed copy of that form to the aircraft owner; and
(3) Forward a copy of that form to the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, within 48 hours after the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance is approved for return to service.

Maybe there's a good reason the 337 instructions read:

"INSTRUCTIONS: Print or type all entries. See Title 14 CFR §43.9, Part 43 Appendix B, and AC 43.9-1 (or subsequent revision thereof) for instructions and disposition of this form. This report is required by law (49 U.S.C. §44701). Failure to report can result in a civil penalty for each such violation. (49 U.S.C. §46301(a))"
No where in any conversation where I was talking about 43.17.
there is a difference between 43.17 and the Appendix B and a AC.

I'll give you the point about after the aircraft is returned to service

IOWs you'd buy an aircraft with a known illegal repair.

Go for It !! I buy projects too.
Since almost all mechanics are actually going to follow the correct regulation, and as Jim pointed out, GS-1's aren't going to allow rejected 337 to be filed, it's a moot point.

Which takes precedence ? a FAR? (such as FAR 43) or an AC?

Back