Cessna Caravan Maintenance

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
The caravan is beyond my expertise, If operated in part 91, are they required to be on a maintenance program?

A good indication might be; find a Caravan certified repair station and see what inspections they offered, such as "annual" or CAMP. You're welcome.

Last edited:
I believe this was a regulatory question.

As I understand it, in a roundabout way, the answer is in paragraph (e) to 14 CFR 91.406

(e)Large airplanes (to which part 125 is not applicable), turbojet multiengine airplanes, turbopropeller-powered multiengine airplanes, and turbine-powered rotorcraft. No person may operate a large airplane, turbojet multiengine airplane, turbopropeller-powered multiengine airplane, or turbine-powered rotorcraft unless the replacement times for life-limited parts specified in the aircraft specifications, type data sheets, or other documents approved by theAdministrator are complied with and the airplane or turbine-powered rotorcraft, including the airframe, engines, propellers, rotors, appliances, survival equipment, and emergency equipment, is inspected in accordance with an inspection program selected under the provisions of paragraph (f) of this section, except that, the owner or operator of a turbine-powered rotorcraft may elect to use the inspection provisions of § 91.409(a), (b), (c), or (d) in lieu of an inspection option of § 91.409(f).

As a single-engine turboprop does not fall under paragraph (e), it can be maintained either using an annual inspection (paragraph a and part 43) or a progressive inspection program (paragraph d).

I am pretty sure this isn't news to any of the people who posted in this thread.

A good indication might be; find a Caravan certified repair station and see what inspections they offered, such as "annual" or CAMP. You're welcome.
I thought you were a heavy type maintainer and would have a plane answer.

Is this going to be another 'I already know the answer but I want to argue a bit' thread ?
No, I have a new customer IF I want, he has a Caravan on floats, I was under the impression they were required to be on an inspection program but can't find the FAR requiring it.
91.409 e doesn't seem to apply. because of the multi engine thing.
I read it again, 91.409 limits the 208/B to either an annual, or a progressive inspection, and the IA can do both. I do not believe this owner gets enough time each year to place the 208 into a progressive.

Last edited:
I think you have the option of either maintaining it on a progressive inspection program, or just doing all the inspections at annual. The idea of the progressive program is avoiding lengthy down time and spreading out the expenses.

I think you have the option of either maintaining it on a progressive inspection program, or just doing all the inspections at annual. The idea of the progressive program is avoiding lengthy down time and spreading out the expenses.
But all portions of the progressive must be completed with in a year.

I think 91.409 was the answer I was looking for :)

No, I have a new customer IF I want, he has a Caravan on floats, I was under the impression they were required to be on an inspection program but can't find the FAR requiring it.
91.409 e doesn't seem to apply. because of the multi engine thing.
I read it again, 91.409 limits the 208/B to either an annual, or a progressive inspection, and the IA can do both. I do not believe this owner gets enough time each year to place the 208 into a progressive.

By floats do you mean a amphib?

Do you have a hangar you can even fit this thing in? The jacks the lift it, etc?

If you're gonna play this game, get all of the appropriate info.

A buddy who owned a repair station backed himself into a heck of a corner on a leading edge repair once upon a time. At the time there was no approved data for replacing the LE skins other than bonding in the factory jigs, using Cessna's process.

It is tough to backtrack on that one after you remove the skins....

By floats do you mean a amphib?

Do you have a hangar you can even fit this thing in? The jacks the lift it, etc?
yes to all the above
if he is rich enough to buy the van, he's rich enough to buy the equipment. and yes he has a hangar with his 5 other aircraft in it.

Just make sure you're up to climbing, working on a amphib does require some monkey skills.

Just make sure you're up to climbing, working on a amphib does require some monkey skills.
they are called work stands, or if you were a navy type B4 stands.

I hate to put it this way but...
I was working from step ladders on planks across floats on a Nordland Norseman before your mama knew your dad. :)
Smarter than that now

Reactions: Tim
Back