The equivalent of cancelled checks?

Chrisj13

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Chrisj13
Seems that so many professional pilots "cut their teeth" flying cancelled checks early in their career. Nightime, bad weather, all the stuff that gives great experience with an ability to built lots of time.
With most EVERYTHING being done online now, is there a modern day equivalent of the proverbial "cancelled check flight?" Besides instructing (ugh....), how are new pilots going to say they built REALLY GOOD experience in the future? Dropzones are a fair weather job, instructing is mostly done with basic students, and I don't know if pipeline patrol is even a thing anymore.
What say you? How are people building experience besides just time?

Seems that so many professional pilots "cut their teeth" flying cancelled checks early in their career. Nightime, bad weather, all the stuff that gives great experience with an ability to built lots of time.
With most EVERYTHING being done online now, is there a modern day equivalent of the proverbial "cancelled check flight?" Besides instructing (ugh....), how are new pilots going to say they built REALLY GOOD experience in the future? Dropzones are a fair weather job, instructing is mostly done with basic students, and I don't know if pipeline patrol is even a thing anymore.
What say you? How are people building experience besides just time?
Closest is probably flying feeder routes on Caravans for the outfits contracting to FedEx and UPS. Still, it's not quite to same as flying loaded down stripped down light GA singles and twins at night in questionable weather.

I never carried a check, but I carried a lot of light cargo in all kinds of weather, day and night. Anything that would fit through the door of a Chieftan and meet the weight-and-balance requirements. I carried flowers packed in dry ice and had to wear oxygen for the trip between Oakland and Boeing Field. I carried boxes that said DHL and UPS on their sides. Lots of Part 135 carriers out there today...there will always be a market for that kind of cargo.

Bob

Dropzones are great for stick and rudder skills with basic pax management. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a job low time but, if you do, fly it for awhile until you meet some mins to sit in a 91 or 135 corporate job.
I've never towed a banner but I know a guy who moved across the country to fly banners at 300 hours or so. I think he's still alive.
I don't know much about pipeline patrol or traffic watch but I do know people who have recently worked at both. They're out there.
I got my time part 91 flying single-engine pistons and, eventually, single-engine turboprops.

How? Connections. Like everything in this world, it's all about connections. Don't brush off anyone you meet as unable to help you out. Ever. You'd be surprised.

I know nothing about CA but if you're coming up empty and really want to pursue this career, don't rule out moving.

Having been a drop zone pilot, glider towing pilot, banner towing pilot and a check hauler I can tell you unequivocally that ALL those jobs truly SUCK ! With the highest percentage of "suckage" going to the banner tow and check hauling gigs. Back then time in a 152 meant more to the insurance companies and HR weenies then my time in a Marine Corps Cobra.

Instructing was far more relaxed compared to those other gigs but did not build the multi time needed back then - early 90s. My advice to you would be to find a big school that has a large student base and work yourself into the instrument and multi training. Easier said then done perhaps but way easier now then back when I was coming up.

I will say that even now I was never as sharp on instrument regulations, AIM & TERPS as I was back when I was teaching instruments. It was a lot more fun for me than doing basic or commercial instruction. WAY more fun than towing banners - that's for sure !

One low time pilot I know is teaching Japanese students. He is making around 70K. When I was at his time I could not even get a job hauling checks at night for 50 bucks a night. Another company hires low time pilots to sight right seat in KA-90. They fly the empty legs, which is about half the flights. Again, at their flight time totals I could not even get an instructing job.

To me it seems easier to build flight time now than when I was doing it.

Thanks for all the replies everybody....lots of good advice. As I transition out of my current career, I'm hoping to find an entry level job flying whatever/whenever. I'm not looking to get left seat in a 747, that ship has long sailed (or taken off, or whatever the proper metaphor is!) It would be really cool to fly some neat planes to interesting places eventually, though. Thanks again!

Thanks for all the replies everybody....lots of good advice. As I transition out of my current career, I'm hoping to find an entry level job flying whatever/whenever. I'm not looking to get left seat in a 747, that ship has long sailed (or taken off, or whatever the proper metaphor is!) It would be really cool to fly some neat planes to interesting places eventually, though. Thanks again!
Do some instructing. You'll learn a lot from your students.

I have loved being a jumper dumper. Hell, it's not even my full time job, I just do it on the side for fun. You can break into the gig with comparatively low time in a C182 or C206. DZ's are always looking for pilots, and I always see ads on Facebook for it. It's been a great opportunity for me to get into bigger aircraft as well like the C208, C90, and DHC6. Also gotten me a couple of last minute ferry gigs that were fun and "interesting".

I have loved being a jumper dumper. Hell, it's not even my full time job, I just do it on the side for fun. You can break into the gig with comparatively low time in a C182 or C206. DZ's are always looking for pilots, and I always see ads on Facebook for it. It's been a great opportunity for me to get into bigger aircraft as well like the C208, C90, and DHC6. Also gotten me a couple of last minute ferry gigs that were fun and "interesting".

I've definitely considered this kind of work, especially since it can (sometimes) be done part time like you're doing. Very envious! I just need to punch through the 500 hour mark, seems like most want at least that much for insurance reasons. Holding at about 440 right now...Thanks for the input!

I think the business of flying lab samples to central labs (think LabCorp or Quest Diagnostics) still exists but I'm no expert there. Maybe that is mostly ground transport these days.

I think the business of flying lab samples to central labs (think LabCorp or Quest Diagnostics) still exists but I'm no expert there. Maybe that is mostly ground transport these days.

I used to fly frozen calf embryos from Carnation Farms east of Seattle down to Modesto. Pretty sure that Carnation just called the 135 operator I was working for...I didn't get paid by Carnation Farms. Still a matter of finding 135 operators and knocking on doors.

Bob

I applied years ago for LabCorp, they said thanks but no thanks. A CFI at the local airport got the gig about a year ago, but I haven't seen him around so I don't know if he is still doing it. Caravan last I heard.

If you wanted you could go overseas and fly 206s and 210s charter in Africa with a ink wet CPL, great experience too. DZs are fair weather but it's all cranking and banking and take offs and landings, full gross to near empty, it's a good thing to do, CFIing also builds up good skills, all these jobs are good all are diffrent, one isn't better than the other. One of the reasons many pilots look down on the euro zero to hero crap, many pilots have done most of the above by the time they hit ATP mins, which makes them very well rounded and with a great foundation.

Dropzones are great for stick and rudder skills with basic pax management.

Basic pax management!? You call 15 passengers on the floor of a Caravan, jostling around, standing up, 4 guys outside hanging off the airplane, 4 more crammed on the inside, throwing off your CG, everybody leaving at once 'basic pax management'?

Makes that one fat guy in the back seat of the 172 seem pretty tame. :D

Get with these folks.... I've known a few that have cut their teeth with them.. say it was a pretty descent gig!

http://ameriflight.hrmdirect.com/employment/job-opening.php?req=491214&&cust_sort1=26543&#job

I don't know if they have them on the west coast but on the east coast there are a bunch of fish spotters flying for commercial fishing outfits and even for sport fishermen. Low level, slow speed, over water, head outside talking on the marine band radio. What's not to love? and you get paid in fish.

Pretty sure James is referring to Botswana/Maun. Best way to find them is to fly over and stay a few months, and hope for the best.
Get your shots.

We have guys flying for Mountain Air Cargo, Ameriflight etc. every night feeding to us at the main hub and to just about every stop that our big planes go to. Feeder aircraft feed to the mainline and the mainline bring back stuff to the feeders. Not sure what company but in MSP at night there are 10 to 15 Queen Airs that go all over Minnesota. Here in Austin TX where I live it is Caravans and Twin Cessnas.

IF and this is a BIG IF...you get with a feeder that works for Fed EX or UPS....YOU are being interviewed every night. Look and act somewhat professional...it is noticed. Most of the time the ground people you interact with do not have pull to get you an actual interview but they sure do have pull to keep you from being interviewed.

One little seemingly small item but it is VERY big. Do not send in your resume' and application to UPS in a Fed EX envelope and vice versa. YES, it has happened and NO it is not appreciated...no conducive to getting in the door.

Two. Since aviation has gone down hill and let HR people control hiring and not pilots, the use of the "Hogan" Test (some type of personality test) I highly recommend getting your wife, girl friend, Mom etc. to take the test online for you. Pilots are type A's...they want Yes men now. What's the matter? The wing falling off...take it or lose your job and they want Yes Sir I don't need that extra engine either sir. When I hired on we took some type of the same test several years later. They saved the results and compare the new ones to us old farts and if they match you will NOT be hired. (Truth)

Yes there is still Pipeline Patrol. My brother did it for 35000 hours.

Get your shots.

I found Namibia quite safe and healthy, also very fun, only shot required was the yellow fever, I also didn't take anything for the skeeters, I'd highly recommend talking to a doc who has actually been there vs someone who is just going to pump you full of everything he can think of, just get what you need, and it really a isn't that bad.

Get with these folks.... I've known a few that have cut their teeth with them.. say it was a pretty descent gig!

http://ameriflight.hrmdirect.com/employment/job-opening.php?req=491214&&cust_sort1=26543&#job

Be the change you want to see in the world, in this case, f' those clowns.

Don't be a part of anyone who does the pay to fly scheme.
http://www.eaglejet.net/Pricing.asp
Notice how they photoshop the ameriflight name off the side of the planes, that how you know it's reputable :cornut:

It's turned out such greats as the guy who piled the dash 8 into New York causing all the ATP changes.... plenty of other aeronautical sewage has come from pay to fly schemes too.

Feeder aircraft feed to the mainline and the mainline bring back stuff to the feeders. Not sure what company but in MSP at night there are 10 to 15 Queen Airs that go all over Minnesota.
Can't help with much of the rest, but this one so probably still Bemidji Airlines out of Bemidji, MN.

I found Namibia quite safe and healthy, also very fun, only shot required was the yellow fever, I also didn't take anything for the skeeters, I'd highly recommend talking to a doc who has actually been there vs someone who is just going to pump you full of everything he can think of, just get what you need, and it really a isn't that bad.

Be the change you want to see in the world, in this case, f' those clowns.

Don't be a part of anyone who does the pay to fly scheme.
http://www.eaglejet.net/Pricing.asp
Notice how they photoshop the ameriflight name off the side of the planes, that how you know it's reputable :cornut:

It's turned out such greats as the guy who piled the dash 8 into New York causing all the ATP changes.... plenty of other aeronautical sewage has come from pay to fly schemes too.
Interesting.

So if I wanted to get turbojet time for the hell of it, for $33500 I can get typed and 500 hrs of SIC ? Seems like quite the deal.

Interesting.

So if I wanted to get turbojet time for the hell of it, for $33500 I can get typed and 500 hrs of SIC ? Seems like quite the deal.

Yeah, and who's going to hire a 750hr TT guy who just paid to sit in the left seat with a babysitter?

Compare that to building hours the normal way, where you get PAID for it.

With 1200tt you could also get typed as SIC, but it would cost you NOTHING, infact as a job, and stay with me now, crazy concept here, they would actually PAY YOU! I know, you're like mind blown right now lol

Yeah, and who's going to hire a 750hr TT guy who just paid to sit in the left seat with a babysitter?

Compare that to building hours the normal way, where you get PAID for it.

With 1200tt you could also get typed as SIC, but it would cost you NOTHING, infact as a job, and stay with me now, crazy concept here, they would actually PAY YOU! I know, you're like mind blown right now lol
I'm not talking about making a living at it. Maybe P/T, retirement fun.

Paying 30k to a shady company to fly around in a ratted out B99 with a 20ish year old babysitting you like you're 9 years old is considered a fun retirement?

.....god forbid what you're life before retirement must have been like

One little seemingly small item but it is VERY big. Do not send in your resume' and application to UPS in a Fed EX envelope and vice versa. YES, it has happened and NO it is not appreciated...no conducive to getting in the door.

Wow. Talk about "tone deaf". People actually do that?! LOL!

Back