Would this bother you, N/A

"They?"

This was one person. That says nothing about an entire culture.

The OP was not culturally insensitive. But you were.

I've certainly met my share of loud, obnoxious white Americans overseas, particularly in Germany, where it isn't acceptable. But I have yet to encounter a German who would generalize that to all Americans.

There is nothing at all wrong with a "please keep your voice down." That addresses the problem at hand, without becoming an oaf yourself.

Lolz, your California is showing, were you just triggered?

BTW the majority of people that I've met overseas who were loud and annoying were from Eastern Europe, it's was actually not super common to see a fellow American, most of the American hate I see is from the rich American boutique democrats.

BTW "they" to anyone with a lick of common sense, obviously ment people who are being super loud on the frickin' train :rolleyes:

Again, another example of why the Ds were just run out of government like a bad case of Montezuma's revenge.

This was no more or less than someone texting or talking on their phone during a movie, or the knob who has to stand directly in front of the weight rack and block access so he can observe his form in the mirror.

The conductor dealt with it and the behavior stopped.

This was not a societal or cultural issue. It is not about freedom of speech or imposition of cultural expectations.

This does not make her a good or bad person- when asked, she stopped. Period.

This was no more or less than someone texting or talking on their phone during a movie, or the knob who has to stand directly in front of the weight rack and block access so he can observe his form in the mirror.

This was not a societal or cultural issue. It is not about freedom of speech or imposition of cultural expectations.

Except you said in your first post that she didn't stop? I'm confused.

"She made of few more calls, conductor returned, and then yet another loud call announcing where she was."

If this was the case then you should have posted it in your Thread. Then we would be able to complain and offend everyone about a different topic.

Yes, she talked for 30-45 minutes. No one said anything. Conductor came by and spoke with her. She stopped for a bit, then called her friend and spoke loudly after he left, and then finally quit.

I got my first cell phone right around the time my wife and I first started dating or talking or whatever. We did this thing that seemed entirely natural where we wouldn't have phone conversations with each other if someone else was in the room with one of us. It would be a quick exchange of any important info, when we expected to be alone again, "love you" and bye. It wasn't so much that we were trying to be polite although that was a factor.... it's just that neither of us felt we could have any meaningful conversations between us with an eavesdropper and if we tried it would just be... well.... weird.

I'm like that with most phone conversation really. I don't want anyone to overhear me.... the whole point of chatting with a friend or loved one is to be open about stuff that you wouldn't tell the world right? So I really don't want the world to hear!

Nobody mentioned the initial mistake: Getting on board any sort of mass transportation and expecting not to be annoyed by someone.

They make cars and trucks for transporting oneself and not having to listen to other people.

In the UK we not only have "quiet" coaches on some x/c trains we have "no phones" coaches, getting so popular we need more than one designated coach.

I got my first cell phone right around the time my wife and I first started dating or talking or whatever. We did this thing that seemed entirely natural where we wouldn't have phone conversations with each other if someone else was in the room with one of us. It would be a quick exchange of any important info, when we expected to be alone again, "love you" and bye. It wasn't so much that we were trying to be polite although that was a factor.... it's just that neither of us felt we could have any meaningful conversations between us with an eavesdropper and if we tried it would just be... well.... weird.

I'm like that with most phone conversation really. I don't want anyone to overhear me.... the whole point of chatting with a friend or loved one is to be open about stuff that you wouldn't tell the world right? So I really don't want the world to hear!

Well yeah, if you two are gonna talk about what you're gonna do to each other, sure. OTOH it might be entertaining for some if that's what y'all be talkin' 'bout!

Well, it just happened again- waiting in a lounge for service on my car. Lady speaking loudly in Polish over her cell phone- very loudly. Twenty minutes. Do people generally not have any situational awareness any more?

Well, it just happened again- waiting in a lounge for service on my car. Lady speaking loudly in Polish over her cell phone- very loudly. Twenty minutes. Do people generally not have any situational awareness any more?
We live in a culture that now glamorizes and glorifies selfish and rude behavior. Think if most of the reality shows. They often revolve around assertive personalities clashing with one another and the perpetual conflicts that result. It's silly and childish but culture is simply responding to what we've been taught by the experts. People are now told to "be yourself" or to "be true to yourself", and to elevate our their interest over those around us. The term snowflake is overused and I get tired of it, but there is a reason why we hear it so much now.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

We live in a culture that now glamorizes and glorifies selfish and rude behavior. Think if most of the reality shows. They often revolve around assertive personalities clashing with one another and the perpetual conflicts that result. It's silly and childish but culture is simply responding to what we've been taught by the experts. People are now told to "be yourself" or to "be true to yourself", and to elevate our their interest over those around us. The term snowflake is overused and I get tired of it, but there is a reason why we hear it so much now.
Hmmm... that could be said of internet forums too.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Don't know- I just recognised it as Polish. Do people think that since it's a foreign language that most would likely not understand they can speak loudly without concern.

I did surprise a couple in front of me in an elevator once who were speaking Russian. I just casually said "this is my floor, excuse me" in Russian (been told my accent is pretty clear)- should've seen the look on their faces!

Hmmm... that could be said of internet forums too.
That's because the forums allow us to engage anonymously and to avoid the normal consequences of that behavior. We can say and act in ways that we never would in person and nothing is really lost. Simply turn off the computer and walk away. In real life, the consequences follow you.

That's because the forums allow us to engage anonymously and to avoid the normal consequences of that behavior. We can say and act in ways that we never would in person and nothing is really lost. Simply turn off the computer and walk away. In real life, the consequences follow you.
So you think it's OK to be rude because there are no consequences? Or are you simply explaining the internet phenomena.

OK, now another guy listening on speaker phone doing real estate transactions- so excited to hear about the pool and the view from the condo. Guess I just need to get out more!

So you think it's OK to be rude because there are no consequences? Or are you simply explaining the internet phenomena.
Explaining, I try not to be rude when I can help it. Though I obviously have a different understanding than some others as to what constitutes rudeness. This is often pointed out to me by my wife.

No they don't. They are totally oblivious. It's not just talking loudly on cell phones either. They lack situational awareness in all aspects of their lives. They are the ones blasting their car stereo so loud that you can hear them 3 blocks away. They are the onese who don't go when the light turns green. They are the ones that walk far more slowly than necessary across crosswalks. They are the ones who walk three abreast down the sidewalk when someone else is coming the opposite way. They are the ones who stand in the middle of the escalator while others are trying to walk past them. They are the ones that park their grocery cart in the middle of the aisle blocking other's way. They are the ones that try to get on the elevator while others are getting off.

I could go on and on.

But at least I won't mention the ones driving slow in the left hand lane. That starts arguments on here. ;)

Took my wife to one of those doc-in-the-box joints Sat morning, 7-8 people in the waiting room. No one was on their phones! Oh oh mine rings, I answer as I rise to go outside. Easy peasy. BTW 'Dog, when I got some Skynyrd on I play it loud, so there! But I don't have one of those ridiculous bass speakers in the car.

Took my wife to one of those doc-in-the-box joints Sat morning, 7-8 people in the waiting room. No one was on their phones! Oh oh mine rings, I answer as I rise to go outside. Easy peasy. BTW 'Dog, when I got some Skynyrd on I play it loud, so there! But I don't have one of those ridiculous bass speakers in the car.

You did say DOC-in-the-box, right?

Most places I've been on trains around the world have quiet cars and loud cars. If you're in a loud car, well, unfortunately it's all out, and you take what you get. The quiet cars are fantastic. I made the mistake once of answering a call (my phone was on vibrate) ONLY to say "I'm sorry, I can't talk. I'll call you back." I was reminded promptly that this was the quiet car, and talking on cellphones was not permitted. Sorry, my bad!

If it drove me that nuts I'd go to the quiet car. But to answer your question directly, heck yes it bothers me. I hate when folks talk on their cells in restaurants and elevators or public transit. I guess you can expect and should tolerate a few short calls at a reasonable tone but loud for an hour no way. It might have been an opportune time to crank up the Pandora and see how she likes it. :)

I had three lovely phone conversations and left one voice mail driving home in my personal transportation conveyance this evening... heh... trains... what is this, the 1800s? :)

Back