Southern Soul BBQ - SSI - Sat, Feb 18

wayne

Pattern Altitude
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
wayne
Heading down to St Simons Island (SSI) on Saturday, Feb 18, for lunch at Southern Soul BBQ. I wanted to do that when my daughter was going down there to visit a friend after Christmas but a nasty frontal line came through that day so I had to drive her part way. Currently the forecast for next weekend looks great.

Anyone up for meeting there for lunch? Southern Soul BBQ is in a short walking distance from SSI. It's just across the street from the approach end of runway 22.

Heading down to St Simons Island (SSI) on Saturday, Feb 18, for lunch at Southern Soul BBQ. I wanted to do that when my daughter was going down there to visit a friend after Christmas but a nasty frontal line came through that day so I had to drive her part way. Currently the forecast for next weekend looks great.

Anyone up for meeting there for lunch? Southern Soul BBQ is in a short walking distance from SSI. It's just across the street from the approach end of runway 22.
Is that the old converted gas station? Great bbq and good portions. They do a good beef brisket for Georgia. Shame I'm tied up on Saturday. It's about a 45 minute flight from Ormond Beach.

Wish I could, but I'm on call that weekend. Maybe I'll luck out and get a trip to SSI that day. It's a pretty regular destination for us.

Mother Nature is throwing us a curve ball. Rain is now in the forecast for Saturday. Still keeping an eye on it (as the forecast may change again), but we may move this to Sunday. Partly for VFR pilots, but even more as Southern Soul BBQ is largely outside. There's a cover, but still, not as much fun in the rain.

Goes back to the posted questions about looking a week or more out on weather. Last week, this coming Saturday was in the middle of 4 or 5 days of very nice weather and now there is a 60% chance of rain.

I was keeping an eye on this thread because I just got checked out in a Bo and this seemed like a good first trip. but then again, there's also the SCBC that Sunday at GMU. but then there's also the beach and then there's also calhoun's. man, what to do what to do.

Well, the forecast for Saturday has been holding on rain for days now. We're meeting on Sunday, Feb 19. Walking over to Southern Soul BBQ from the airport.

Well, the forecast for Saturday has been holding on rain for days now. We're meeting on Sunday, Feb 19. Walking over to Southern Soul BBQ from the airport.
What time?

I was keeping an eye on this thread because I just got checked out in a Bo and this seemed like a good first trip. but then again, there's also the SCBC that Sunday at GMU. but then there's also the beach and then there's also calhoun's. man, what to do what to do.

What's the deal with Calhouns? The one in Knoxville, right? Not sure what you've heard about it, but unless it's vastly improved since I've moved away (entirely possible), it's really nothing special. Besides, you should wait to go until the end of April when a certain Cajun pilot on this board is going to be down in ktown for a conference.

What's the deal with Calhouns? The one in Knoxville, right? Not sure what you've heard about it, but unless it's vastly improved since I've moved away (entirely possible), it's really nothing special. Besides, you should wait to go until the end of April when a certain Cajun pilot on this board is going to be down in ktown for a conference.

the one on the river. it's only a coupl'a miles from KDKX and I've heard good things from people. regardless, it's on my list of places to fly to and eat at, hopefully it doesn't suck. and u can bet I'll try to make end of april work. however, I may try to convince you to cough up a certain monkey that's in your possession.

the one on the river. it's only a coupl'a miles from KDKX and I've heard good things from people. regardless, it's on my list of places to fly to and eat at, hopefully it doesn't suck. and u can bet I'll try to make end of april work. however, I may try to convince you to cough up a certain monkey that's in your possession.

Yep, the one on the river. Eaten there dozens of times! It IS good, or at least was. But there are lots of great places to eat in Knoxville... even more so these days since the city has gotten more happenin'.

And whenever you want the monkey back, happy to hand him over. I want to at least get him to all the states up in New England first. It's probably best he doesn't make it to Norway, as he might not wanna come back (or rather, I, won't want to come back).

The monkey's still alive????? :yikes:

Man I wish I could fly down to KSSI tomorrow, but unfortunately I have to work. I have been working brutal hours lately and don't see it letting up until the middle of April.

I acquired him last week while flying through Oklahoma.

I think he meant you haven't worn him (the monkey) out yet. Hey, you said it! Just saying. ;) :D

Hey, ya gonna write about your Cirrus trip. Sounded interesting, and I'm sure fun.

Last edited:
Man I wish I could fly down to KSSI tomorrow, but unfortunately I have to work. I have been working brutal hours lately and don't see it letting up until the middle of April.
On a Sunday? :eek: That is brutal. And it's supposed to be great weather tomorrow.

Was a great day for some flying and BBQ. The line to get in was brutal, but there was enough hangar flying going around to make it feel shorter.

Byron needs to be drug down to the FBO and shackled to a CFI. I know he wants it! Getting over that bump is all its gonna take!

It was a fun day. Beautiful weather and great company. And some pretty dang good BBQ too.

Byron is excited and posting about the fun on Facebook.

Back