Time for a new rule?

Anymouse

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Total Stud Bush Pilot
Granted, it's just one guy right now, but I was wondering if it might be time to tweak the rules in such a way as to prevent blatant advertising on POA.

My thinking is:

Links, etc. would be fine in signature pages.

People that are selling items that are not necessarily related to their livelihood would be fine as posts.

People that indicate that they are in a particular field (and relate their expertise) when their field is the subject of a thread would be fine.

Posters that contribute to the board overall can mention a new area that they are selling, servicing, etc.

New members that immediately start posting their services would not be allowed.

Repeated hawking would not be allowed, regardless of their time on the board.

Any other ideas?? Thoughts??

What's the harm? If it's in the classifieds and not for something you're looking to buy, move on.

When it is in other sections and equally blatant the beatings are so severe that no one could ever continue the mistake.

I would add that links that refer to a question asked by someone else should be allowed, regardless of the source.

Will an airplane even fly without an AOA indicator?

I would add that links that refer to a question asked by someone else should be allowed, regardless of the source.

I agree. When someone makes a post that asks for information on a training topic or other topic and then in response either you, Bob Gardner or a few others reply by promoting your product, it is definitely advertising and might be considered blatant by some. I however see it as serving dual purposes. It does no doubt advertise your product outside of the classifieds, but it also does provide a possible solution to a stated need or problem posted by another user. I see no harm in these sort of replies as long as the suggested product is germane to the stated question/need.

I also see no harm in someone posting ads in the classifieds for their product and then also posting informational/training videos in other forums that show the benefit of such a product as long as those videos do not just promote that singular product. I believe that is where the AOA guy went wrong and where he drew the ire of a few of our fellow netizens. However I do think it is way past time that some of us drop the constant badgering and referrals to AOA. It really is no longer funny.

I agree. When someone makes a post that asks for information on a training topic or other topic and then in response either you, Bob Gardner or a few others reply by promoting your product, it is definitely advertising and might be considered blatant by some. I however see it as serving dual purposes. It does no doubt advertise your product outside of the classifieds, but it also does provide a possible solution to a stated need or problem posted by another user. I see no harm in these sort of replies as long as the suggested product is germane to the stated question/need.

I agree with the 'Dog. I've clicked on Garner's links and Russel's and looked at their stuff for myself and students. Don't click if you're not interested.

Now Maui Wowie, well, what he's promoting is good, although I have no experience with AOA. It's his swamping POA with what he apparentlybelieves is "catchy" and "scary scenarios" advertisements promoting his sales of the one he is promoting and selling. But it's fun to comment.

Last edited:
if i can buy a almost new headset for 1/2 price than it is a good thing.now if you dont get good service and have a unresolved complaint you should be able to post about in the classified if it becomes a trend the mods will deal with it.

Granted, it's just one guy right now, but I was wondering if it might be time to tweak the rules in such a way as to prevent blatant advertising on POA.

My thinking is:

Links, etc. would be fine in signature pages.

People that are selling items that are not necessarily related to their livelihood would be fine as posts.

People that indicate that they are in a particular field (and relate their expertise) when their field is the subject of a thread would be fine.

Posters that contribute to the board overall can mention a new area that they are selling, servicing, etc.

New members that immediately start posting their services would not be allowed.

Repeated hawking would not be allowed, regardless of their time on the board.

Any other ideas?? Thoughts??
The Classifieds section is for advertising. As long as people keep their ads in the Classifieds section it is not a ROC violation. The poster I believe you are referring to has done that recently. If you don't want to view the ad, don't click on it. Also remember that when you post in one of the ad threads, or any thread, you bring it up to the top of "new posts".

We have allowed people to mention products in other forums as an answer to a question as long as it is not abused. This is a grey area. We would see it as abusing the rule if, for example, someone posted something promoting their item for sale every time someone asked for recommendations about that type of item.

Links in a member's signature are already allowed.

Finally, just because you (meaning the global 'you', not Anymouse) find a member annoying doesn't mean you need to act like a bully. As someone else pointed out, the jokes about that particular subject got old a long time ago.

Last edited:
there's alway the Ignore Thread option. I've been using it more and more....

I was wondering how @Acrodustertoo let that one slide, until I saw this :(

View attachment 51560

What happened?
From the Rules of Conduct which can be found here...

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/help/RoC/

• Bans and warnings, actual or suspected, shall not be discussed on the forums. Any inquiries or comments regarding bans are to be sent in private messages or via email. A moderator may choose to publicly inform the participants of a forum about bans and warnings if this is in the interest of the forum.
You can also read about the point system for warnings and the resulting bans, either temporary or permanent.

And when members abuse the Classifieds forum...

Which applies to both the members who start threads and those who comment.

Quality of that particular item that the person is trying to sell. If we are being restricted from commenting on an aircraft model, or in this case, a device in general, then that's ridiculous.

From the Rules of Conduct which can be found here...

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/help/RoC/

You can also read about the point system for warnings and the resulting bans, either temporary or permanent.

You show us how many trophy points we have. Can you also please show us how many ban points we have? My goal is to have more trophy points and likes than posts. I think mscards goal is to have more ban points than posts. And he has a ton of posts. Roll Tide.

Quality of that particular item that the person is trying to sell. If we are being restricted from commenting on an aircraft model, or in this case, a device in general, then that's ridiculous.
I don't think there's any rule against criticizing a product outside of the classifieds section.

Rules are meant to be broken, I mean rules are meant to be sporadically enforced, no, I mean rules are meant to be confusing, dang, rules are meant to be subjective .....

Ok, how about “PoA has some words written down under the section labelled ‘Rules’.”

I don't think there's any rule against criticizing a product outside of the classifieds section.

I don't either. Just be mindful that you're writing to inform others of your experience with a product or service, not to punish someone whose behavior fails to comport with what you deem to be appropriate.

Rules are meant to be broken, I mean rules are meant to be sporadically enforced, no, I mean rules are meant to be confusing, dang, rules are meant to be subjective .....

Ok, how about “PoA has some words written down under the section labelled ‘Rules’.”

upload_2017-2-19_11-58-48.png

I mean, there are, if you read 'em.

Well say you have an item in the classifieds but you don't comment negatively on their particular thing they're selling.

Example, one puts a 2000 SR20 for sale in classifieds for $200,000. I shouldn't comment to the owner that they're over pricing their aircraft but I should be able to say that I don't care for SR20s because I don't like parachutes. One would be a criticism on their particular aircraft, the other is on the model in general. The later should be acceptable.

Last edited:
I'm probably wrong, as usual, but the intent of the rule about classifieds is that you should not impact the advertisers ability to complete the sale by stating directly or implicitly that so-and-so is a [fill in the negative comment], or that dohicky XYZ is worthless in general, or that a particular dohicky XYZ is not as good as the dohicky made by manufacturer 202, or that the asking price is outrageous for said dohicky.

In other areas it should be fine to say things like "tablets are toys and should not be in the cockpit", (who would ever say that) but if someone is selling their iPad mini and yoke mount it would not be proper to share that sentiment in that thread in the classifieds.

Here, just like in a printed newspaper, it is easy to avoid the classifieds when you are not looking to buy a dohicky or explore the prevailing asking prices of dohickies.

The Classifieds section shows up in the New Posts listing, and I suspect that this causes people to often overlook that they are replying in the section where the restriction applies.

Both the New Posts listing and the header of the thread indicate where it was posted. Not too hard to figure out.

Indeed.
"Participants must not comment negatively on the value or quality of the item."

Why not ? If someone for example posts an ZAON unit for sale but fails to mention that the company is out of business and that the product no longer has support, does that not impact the real value of the item for sale , particularly if the seller is asking close to original retail value ?

I'm probably wrong, as usual, but the intent of the rule about classifieds is that you should not impact the advertisers ability to complete the sale by stating directly or implicitly that so-and-so is a [fill in the negative comment], or that dohicky XYZ is worthless in general, or that a particular dohicky XYZ is not as good as the dohicky made by manufacturer 202, or that the asking price is outrageous for said dohicky.

In other areas it should be fine to say things like "tablets are toys and should not be in the cockpit", (who would ever say that) but if someone is selling their iPad mini and yoke mount it would not be proper to share that sentiment in that thread in the classifieds.

Here, just like in a printed newspaper, it is easy to avoid the classifieds when you are not looking to buy a dohicky or explore the prevailing asking prices of dohickies.
This is basically correct, with the exception that if someone has invited others to comment on said dohicky for sale it is fair game.

As stated in the Rules of Conduct, please do not comment on the value of the goods offered, unless specifically requested by the original poster.

The MC realizes that we have had a recent instance where a member has abused the intent of the Classified section. The responses to that member have also been a problem, and not welcome.

I also see no harm in someone posting ads in the classifieds for their product and then also posting informational/training videos in other forums that show the benefit of such a product as long as those videos do not just promote that singular product. I believe that is where the AOA guy went wrong and where he drew the ire of a few of our fellow netizens. However I do think it is way past time that some of us drop the constant badgering and referrals to AOA. It really is no longer funny.

When have I promoted a product? I may have mentioned angle of attack indicators generically, but certainly not a certain make/model. In fact, this whole AOA thing has become an inside joke that leaves newbies wondering what we are talking about. Let's stop the AOA references.

Bob

...The MC realizes that we have had a recent instance where a member has abused the intent of the Classified section....
Is the abuse the frequent repetitive posting of ads for the same product, or is something else involved?

Is the abuse the frequent repetitive posting of ads for the same product, or is something else involved?
We know there are some who want to know every juicy detail regarding our moderating decisions, but we are not discussing that.

This is basically correct, with the exception that if someone has invited others to comment on said dohicky for sale it is fair game.

The MC realizes that we have had a recent instance where a member has abused the intent of the Classified section. The responses to that member have also been a problem, and not welcome.

And telling POA members to STFU, calling us closed minded, and remarking to our lack of flying experience should be unacceptable as well.

Use the classifieds,we have enough rules.

And telling POA members to STFU, calling us closed minded, and remarking to our lack of flying experience should be unacceptable as well.
There was plenty of unwanted behavior on both sides. Why people feel they need to get so wound up over an advertisement or an AOA unit is beyond me.

hater's....gonna hate :D

what....is this the gummint or something?

Andy....just use the ignore if this abuse get's your goat.:rolleyes:

We know there are some who want to know every juicy detail regarding our moderating decisions, but we are not discussing that.
I was just looking for some clarity on what constitutes abuse. If answering that requires juicy details, then it's understandable that the mods wouldn't want to discuss it.

Back