Instrument checkride passed

Dalyup

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Daylup
Finally!!!! after two weeks of scheduling a DPE, on three different occasions, I contacted another from a different fisdo area. Contacted on Monday, ride on Thursday afternoon.
He was extremely professional, and thorough, and would recommend him to anyone in Oklahoma.
I can't even begin to describe how stressed and nervous I was. My last checkride was in 1992.
Glad to have that one finished, and I should've went after this rating when I was young. Although the time spent studying and learning the system at this point in my life, has without question, molded me into a more complete and confident pilot.
To those that are considering this rating:
Do it. Do not hesitate. The rating is, in my mind, a necessity. I can't believe I've spent my whole aviator life without this rating.

Attachments

• IMG_1802.JPG
    IMG_1802.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 46
To those that are considering this rating:
Do it. Do not hesitate. The rating is, in my mind, a necessity. I can't believe I've spent my whole aviator life without this rating.

1) care to elaborate?
2) congrats!!

Congratulations, Dalyup! I hope you do a better job than I do in keeping it current.

1) care to elaborate?
2) congrats!!
First off, thanks to all.

The instrument rating makes you a better pilot period.
I've flown personally over 800hrs, always knowing that I should add the rating at some point. I've always kept my flying to days where we knew the wx would cooperate. When I bought my current aircraft almost three years ago, I had made up my mind to get the rating. The 210 being a much more capable x-country aircraft than I've ever had before, and the desire to make bigger trips, led me to this decision. Knowing going into the training, that I would become a better pilot, just not realizing how much. I really cant even describe everything that has done. I will point out a few of the bonuses:
You quickly learn that what you think is pretty good flying, is not!
Bad habits are compounded under the hood.
Aircraft checklists, flows, and creative memory aids, some learned during PP training, are really used for a bigger purpose.
I learned that the "task saturation" all of my instrument friends talked about is a real thing when flying an arrival in the clag!
"Oh 50-75 ft is close enough" altitude holding, is not close enough
The real awareness of what's really going on, with every aspect of the flight, and the aircraft becomes apparent.
No more fat, dumb, and happy flying.
Precision and professionalism quickly become a necessity
And besides, its super cool to know and understand ALL the ATC instructions you hear on the radio! :))

Yup. Especially your last sentence.

Even if one never actually uses their IRF rating, it will make them a better pilot for life.

Congrats!!

Thanks all, I did go and fly through a high ceiling with a few cumulus the other day just because I could. It was a little unnerving by myself.

Definitely useful. Congrats.

It is not, however, quite as useful as VFR pilots think it is.

Sunday at Oakland, at a CAP event, clouds started rolling in. Air ops made a comment, "oh, you're IFR, I can take my time." Noticing it's a bit chilly out, I checked the freezing level, and it was 3000 feet. That's a bit low for the intended route (especially the approach). VFR only. A VFR transition can be done at 1400, and it's a very short flight.

It is not, however, quite as useful as VFR pilots think it is.

Sunday at Oakland, at a CAP event, clouds started rolling in. Air ops made a comment, "oh, you're IFR, I can take my time." Noticing it's a bit chilly out, I checked the freezing level, and it was 3000 feet. That's a bit low for the intended route (especially the approach). VFR only. A VFR transition can be done at 1400, and it's a very short flight.

For planning trips a week out, trips that we want to fly, vfr doesn't work.
In the week I've had the rating, we flew, only because of the rating.
Low ceilings at home, hard overcast to Dallas with an arrival down to Vmc conditions. Leaving Dallas two days later, same deal. Shot an approach back home.
Today, terrible flying day really! But, we needed to meet with an attorney in Missouri. Imc most of the way with mod turbulence. Vmc most of the way home. We got our teeth kicked in both ways. Two weeks ago we would've drove both trips and lost two days driving. Within an hour to two we drive. It's those long drives we are now able to almost eliminate.

Back