Another airport closing - 4J6 - St Mary's

wayne

Pattern Altitude
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
wayne
St Mary's (4J6) in SE Georgia is closing this summer; current plans are by July 14.

Part of the "security theater" due to the airport being close to the Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base.

Maybe I need to put in a landing on Sunday while I'm in that area.
biggrin.gif

Golden Isles News article.

That's too bad. My guess is the decision has more to do with finances, but they are using the national security angle to sell it to the public.

Too bad,the restricted area may have ,people not comfortable flying in the area.

I flew in two weeks ago. Place is a dive. Approach to 22 is a great way to get busted. Only a mile from the numbers and you are busted. And the winds seem to like to be right down 22 a lot.

Just damn. I'd planned to fly in there to visit Cumberland island.

Just damn. I'd planned to fly in there to visit Cumberland island.

Reach out to the owner/manager of Stafford airport (GA20). It's on the island. A turf runway. It's really close to the P space though.

Reach out to the owner/manager of Stafford airport (GA20). It's on the island. A turf runway. It's really close to the P space though.

Who runs it? Gogo at the Greyfield?

It no longer appears on the sectional in WingX.

Never mind... Found it.

Sad to hear-- I recently had to put down there due to a sudden weather event, and the gentleman running the place treated me like a VIP. Took me to lunch, helped me find a hotel for the night, and picked me up the following morning after the weather cleared. I've never experienced that level of kindness and I will always remember it.

The airport has been there since 1941 and the Navy base since 1978 and now in 2017, it is decided that they are not a good fit. My oh my.

The airport has been there since 1941 and the Navy base since 1978 and now in 2017, it is decided that they are not a good fit. My oh my.

I hate it too, but there is a nuclear subs base there w/ the nuc storage area, so of course they're concerned about safety, terrorists, and the ****ing Russians. And there be something else there we aren't aware of. I do know that it's on the Ruskies target list.

I hate it too, but there is a nuclear subs base there w/ the nuc storage area, so of course they're concerned about safety, terrorists, and the ****ing Russians. And there be something else there we aren't aware of. I do know that it's on the Ruskies target list.

And the Russians are planning an aerial assault based out of St Mary's???

And the Russians are planning an aerial assault based out of St Mary's???

I'm sure they have some of those big pointy things aimed there. Aerial assault for Charlotte, your neighborhood. :D

Back