Lost? Land on road, ask truckers for directions.

I guess GLONASS isn't all that it was cracked up to be.

LMAO. They were on a "visual orientation exercise." When the Pink line fails, use the White line.

I had an older friend that learned in a J-3 in Illinois. On one of his cross countries he got lost. So he sees a farm field and a farmer on the tractor. So he LANDS! He gets out and the tractor comes over. He is embarrassed and looks at his shoes and says "If a guy was to buy a pair of shoes around here, where would he go?" Farmer gets it and tells him the name of the closest town and where the airport is. My friend gets back into his plane, takes off and proceeds. True story!

Clearly this was a female pilot and not a male pilot as previously incorrectly reported by the media.

Men never stop to ask directions...

Might not have been I follow roads rated.

My first student flew a solo XC from GTR to G'ville MS and back. On the way back to GTR he forgot to reset his DG every few minutes and got lost. Had enough sense to land at an unattended airport that fortunately had a phone booth (remember those). He calls the operator and asks her where he's at, she says Carthage, hangs up and calls me. It was getting late and I was getting worried so I was relieved and told him we'll be there in :45 or so, as it would be dark by the time he returned. Got him back and we had a good laught, but he did good.

My first student flew a solo XC from GTR to G'ville MS and back. On the way back to GTR he forgot to reset his DG every few minutes and got lost. Had enough sense to land at an unattended airport that fortunately had a phone booth (remember those). He calls the operator and asks her where he's at, she says Carthage, hangs up and calls me. It was getting late and I was getting worried so I was relieved and told him we'll be there in :45 or so, as it would be dark by the time he returned. Got him back and we had a good laught, but he did good.
Did you replace the crappy DG?

That's why water towers in the midwest and plains state the name of the town.

He sure did good!
Smart kid.
Whatever happened of him? Is he a professional pilot now?

He sure did good!
Smart kid.
Whatever happened of him? Is he a professional pilot now?

Actually he was a controller with me out at the base in the tower at Columbus AFB. So when the other controllers found out they ragged him for weeks. Retired from the Air Force and then he went into teaching, and I think he's retired completely now.

That's why water towers in the midwest and plains state the name of the town.

Yeah well, there was the time right after I got my PPC and flew from NJ to AL and got lost in GA, when I couldn't find my refueling airport. Had wife and 6 mo old daughter onboard, so I fly down to a small town's water tower, no name. I then got on 121.5 and confessed I was lost and a FSS answered and gave me the VOR freq. Long story short, they gave me the freq for Toccoa VOR (Foothills VOR now) and told me I would see Toccoa airport tracking to the VOR as the VOR was on the field. Whew made it.

Last edited:
I was with a slightly reckless pilot, before I was one myself - and we used a water tower to help find our way on one trip. I clearly recall seeing the town's name, as I looked up at it.

I heard about a tactical airdrop crew on a low-level, 300 AGL,that got a bit uncertain of position, and noticed a big road. And slid over a bit to read the next exit sign. Calls were made, but knowing and proving are not the same. . .

Back