This panel seems interesting...

midcap

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
midcap
Is that thing actually screwed/bolted down?

display-asset

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/search...MANCHE+250&listing_id=2247154&s-type=aircraft

Hey, if it ain't broke why fix it right?

A few worn out shock mounts. I replaced 8 or 10 of those on my 195. Not a deal killer IMO.

He probably took that pic right after a hard landing that shook it loose saying "I think it's time sell this thing."
Yeah. When I rented a 172 once, I looked in the back and noted the ELT was missing. When I inquired with the rental place the said, oh yeah, the owner kept setting it off on hard landings so he took it out. Now I've had some hard landings in my day, but I've never managed to set off the ELT in the process.

Yeah. When I rented a 172 once, I looked in the back and noted the ELT was missing. When I inquired with the rental place the said, oh yeah, the owner kept setting it off on hard landings so he took it out. Now I've had some hard landings in my day, but I've never managed to set off the ELT in the process.

Wow!!

Now I've had some hard landings in my day, but I've never managed to set off the ELT in the process.
I have never set off an ELT with a landing either (and I've had few of "naval arrivals" during my training days) but I have had to call the tower twice to apologize for the ELT going off. Once for pax accidentally triggering it with baggage and once for my dang mechanic not resetting it after testing. In both cases, the tower was clueless. Now I know for real they don't monitor them anymore.

I was flying a Vultee BT-13 belonging to a museum x/c many years ago when in some pretty rough turbulence the EBC 102 departed the mount due to missing felt pads. When it whacked the fuselage tubing it activated. I had to call up Flight Service and tell them what was going on and then divert to a nearby airport.

When I landed, I found the ELT hanging by the white wrist cord they all. Apparently, someone else knew it was loose and wrapped cord so it would not fall into the tail...which means they knew there was a problem. This was only a couple weeks out of annual. ☹️

The inclinometer ball is not centered. I suppose that's because the panel is hanging askew.

I'll give the seller credit and say that for $32,500, I wouldn't expect a pristine panel.
It's not the panel you gotta worry about with that antique. it's a Comanche.. It's the bladder, the gear AD, current condition of the conduits, wobble gear motor, the tail horn AD, condition of such old wiring et al that you gotta worry about. That's 2/3rds of the purchase price in labor alone for a first annual on belated mx. Next.

It's not the panel you gotta worry about with that antique. it's a Comanche.. It's the bladder, the gear AD, current condition of the conduits, wobble gear motor, the tail horn AD, condition of such old wiring et al that you gotta worry about. That's 2/3rds of the purchase price in labor alone for a first annual on belated mx. Next.

I'm sure it has some issues being that old.

I saw bladder prices, like $1000 per bladder just for the bladder,not cheap

Last edited:
I'm sure it has some issues being that old.

I saw bladder prices, like $1000 per bladder just for the bladder,not cheap

Indeed, 4 in the 90 gal Comanche (the one in the ad is the pre '62, two 30 gal bladders). They put an aftermarket 15 gal metal tips on the one in the ad, so cheaper to maintain. In fairness, bladder shenanigans are not unique to the Comanche. I was thinking more along the lines of having some major tweaking of that old gear (AD or otherwise), and/r transmission woes, and have a no-kidding half a year backorder on gear conduits because of some random time of year and the nature of stock procurement when you have one boutique supplier keeping the entire fleet from the salvage yard. AOG city. No thanks.

Piper really pooched it not continuing the category with the Dakota RG. A PA-32R is nowhere near a category substitute for a Comanche (the argument often made for no Dakota RG). Apples and cantaloupes.

Indeed, 4 in the 90 gal Comanche (the one in the ad is the pre '62, two 30 gal bladders). They put an aftermarket 15 gal metal tips on the one in the ad, so cheaper to maintain. In fairness, bladder shenanigans are not unique to the Comanche. I was thinking more along the lines of having some major tweaking of that old gear (AD or otherwise), and/r transmission woes, and have a no-kidding half a year backorder on gear conduits because of some random time of year and the nature of stock procurement when you have one boutique supplier keeping the entire fleet from the salvage yard. AOG city. No thanks.

Piper really pooched it not continuing the category with the Dakota RG. A PA-32R is nowhere near a category substitute for a Comanche (the argument often made for no Dakota RG). Apples and cantaloupes.

That was always my reservation when considering buying somthing like a Comanche or a commander.

Back