Can I log this?

Acrodustertoo

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Buford T. Justice
I have convinced myself that I have to have a Phantom ultralight! Just to go out and do some flips and flops, a bit of low level fun flying and keep proficient. If I keep it under the part 103, then you cannot log those hours towards anything.
If I register it as an experimental, then it gets a tail number"N". Now can I log those hours in my log book? Even though it is still technically a part 103 machine?

Ok, I want to subscribe to this thread, but posting will also give you a bump. So.....

You can only log it if you have an approved AoA installed.

You can log ultralight time in your logbook, I did, the hours just don't count toward any certificate or rating. I added a separate "103" column to keep track.

If you register it experimental, it's no longer a Part 103 machine, and logged hours count.

You can log ultralight time in your logbook, I did, the hours just don't count toward any certificate or rating. I added a separate "103" column to keep track.

If you register it experimental, it's no longer a Part 103 machine, and logged hours count.
I was talking with a local "CFI" and he couldn't answer my question. It makes sense to just register it as EXP.

Salty- There will be an AOA installed I promise.

Do you win/lose anything by registering EXP? Just curious.

Me too...

If you build an ultra light part 103 compliant, and it turns out that it is over weight ,,, what's the next step up? Light Sport ??
The reason I ask is, Im thinking about going this route. but have not decided what aircraft to build. that "Phantom II" looks interesting but flimsy.

Just curious... Did the CFI reference FAR 61.51 in his attempt to answer your question?
he didn't reference anything, just couldn't answer my questions from his memory, he never deals with that type of stuff.

:dunno:

you go today? you never told me...:cryin:

I texted you last night. The plane was full as they were dropping off pilots to Calhoun on the way back to BHM. Sorry, thought you got that. The 206 is officially turned in and waiting on 3/22/2017 for the new bird.

Me too...

If you build an ultra light part 103 compliant, and it turns out that it is over weight ,,, what's the next step up? Light Sport ??
The reason I ask is, Im thinking about going this route. but have not decided what aircraft to build. that "Phantom II" looks interesting but flimsy.
If it is a copy of a production S-LSA you can register it as E-LSA, otherwise it has to be E-AB (but could be flown by a Sport pilot) if you meet the so called 51% rule. If you can't meet that rule, then you are simply s.o.l. and you part it out.

You need to get at least a sport pilot ticket to fly it and comply with all the part 61 stuff. You need to get the annual condition inspection. You need to follow the rules under part 91...

If experimental, it's under part 91, pilot certificate, annual condition inspection, minimum altitudes, etc. Under 103, none of that, no minimum altitude (you can legally do aerobatics at 50' if you're that crazy/stupid). 103 is prohibited from flying over any "congested area"; the theory is that you're free to kill yourself but don't take anybody else with you.

If it's 103 legal or even close (most "legal" ultralights are overweight to some degree and nobody cares), it'd be silly to register it exp.

If it is a copy of a production S-LSA you can register it as E-LSA, otherwise it has to be E-AB (but could be flown by a Sport pilot) if you meet the so called 51% rule. If you can't meet that rule, then you are simply s.o.l. and you part it out.
Let's say you clone it, build from scratch, and it comes out heavy. You can't call it a part 103 compliant, so it would be a E/lSA ?

If it's 103 legal or even close (most "legal" ultralights are overweight to some degree and nobody cares), it'd be silly to register it exp.

I disagree. I've often thought that of building an ultralight (minimax, hummel, fisher) and registering it as E-AB. It just give you more leeway, more fuel (longer range), higher weight (add an instrument or two). You can fly it without a medical under sport pilot rules anyways, so there's really no down-side? By registering it as E-AB you can also count those hours towards higher ratings, if that matters to you.

Let's say you clone it, build from scratch, and it comes out heavy. You can't call it a part 103 compliant, so it would be a E/lSA ?

It can only be E-LSA if it's built from an approved E-LSA kit. Otherwise, it's E-AB.

I disagree. I've often thought that of building an ultralight (minimax, hummel, fisher) and registering it as E-AB. It just give you more leeway, more fuel (longer range), higher weight (add an instrument or two). You can fly it without a medical under sport pilot rules anyways, so there's really no down-side? By registering it as E-AB you can also count those hours towards higher ratings, if that matters to you.

If you want more fuel or higher weight, or to count the hours, then yes, it needs to be registered. But if you don't care about those things, then keeping it 103 has some big advantages.

Do you need the hours?

If not who cares just fly.

But if you don't care about those things, then keeping it 103 has some big advantages.

What do you see as the big advantages of keeping it 103? I've always been under the impression that if you're a licensed pilot there is no advantage to 103, especially now that we have LSA where you don't need a medical.

What do you see as the big advantages of keeping it 103? I've always been under the impression that if you're a licensed pilot there is no advantage to 103, especially now that we have LSA where you don't need a medical.

As I said above, no minimum altitude, no annual inspections, no currency requirements or BFR, etc.

Back