Oregon Proposes 100LL Ban

Oregon, what a bunch of beavers.

I don't see how they could do it or what they think they will benefit. If a drop in replacement for 100LL is not widely available by then, they risk losing a lot of business and recreation money. The part of the bill that states "After January 1, 2022, a person may not sell, dispense or use in this state aviation fuel that contains lead or a lead compound such as tetraethyl lead" is ridiculous. So if one were to fly into an airport in OR and then depart again using 100LL that they bought elsewhere, would that be considered using 100LL in the state? I would think so and that could present quite a few problems. Maybe even constitutional issues? I don't think they have thought this through.

Glad I don't live in Oregon.
I did and I voted with my feet. Greetings from Arizona.

Try finding E0 mogas in Oregon, too.

Does the San Andreas Fault run all the way to Canada?
No, but the Cascadia subduction zone just off the Pacific Northwest coast, and the myriad faults under Portland itself (much of which is built on soft soil subject to liquefaction), can do plenty of damage.

I don't think they have thought this through.
Typical of the Oregon legislature.

Sort of like when a local town passes a "law" saying you can't land at their airport after a certain hour or fly over some people's house. It's not enforceable--not their jurisdiction.

I would like to know what problem they are trying to solve. I assume they are worried about the effect of lead in the atmosphere harming people's health.

If that's true, and they really want to pass laws to improve health / save lives, then they should outlaw the sale, dispense, or use of tobacco and alcohol. Those two substances have harmed and killed millions more people than lead ever has, and there's no necessity for either.

(I'm not seriously advocating for the elimination of alcohol or tobacco, btw.)

Something like this allows the politicians to appease the environmentalists and tell the public that they are "doing something". Of course, the quantities are so small, the regulation has no environmental impact, and the only sacrifice is by the 1 in 500 people who fly little airplanes, so "Eff those people."

What do you think the chances are of them caving on this if the EAA wanted to hold airventure there?
What about CAP? Will they have to change out to turbines? How about Robinson helicopter used for search and rescue?

I did and I voted with my feet. Greetings from Arizona.

Try finding E0 mogas in Oregon, too.

No, but the Cascadia subduction zone just off the Pacific Northwest coast, and the myriad faults under Portland itself (much of which is built on soft soil subject to liquefaction), can do plenty of damage.

Typical of the Oregon legislature.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=OR

What do you think the chances are of them caving on this if the EAA wanted to hold airventure there?
What about CAP? Will they have to change out to turbines? How about Robinson helicopter used for search and rescue?

Simple. Just exempt SAR and gov't aircraft.

Is all gasoline there required to blended with ethanol? That would be a double stupid move.

This unsettled fuel issue is a big reason I don't really want to invest a more capable airplane.

Right now none of the aircraft in my family have ever been limited to blue gas. In fact all can burn regular 87 octane ethanol-free.

I only buy blue when there isn't a readily available alternative.

Isn't it in Oregon where collecting rain water from your roof is a criminal offense?
When California leaves, maybe they can take Oregon with them????

Isn't it in Oregon where collecting rain water from your roof is a criminal offense?

Nope. In fact, if you let them know your intentions you might even get a subsidy to build the system.

Popular myth though, that appears to have been spawned when a guy built a dam on his property to capture a creek that was passing through.

Can we just ban all the states on the Pacific coast from passing any laws? Not directing this at all people out there but man do they have some real oxygen thieves in that part of the country, counting on the San Andreas fault myself...

Can we just ban all the states on the Pacific coast from passing any laws? Not directing this at all people out there but man do they have some real oxygen thieves in that part of the country, counting on the San Andreas fault myself...

.......... that doesn't seem like an overreaction at all. LoL

Too bad it doesn't pass through YOUR state!

Back