Would this bother you, N/A

AcroBoy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jim N
Was on a short Amtrak trip today. Woman opposite was on prolonged conversation in Creole (not the issue), but loud and long. She had earbuds in, but was talking very loudly, on and on. Went on for better part of an hour. Other surrounding pax were obviously bothered. Conductor came by to check tickets- she offered him some cash (who does that), but he suggested she would be better using the app or even calling and buying ticket with CC. He also was very professional, and spoke with her about noise and bothering other travelers.

She made of few more calls, conductor returned, and then yet another loud call announcing where she was.

So, should this even bother me, or I am being culturally insensitive? Or are jerks still jerks regardless of where they come from?

Or are jerks still jerks regardless of where they come from?

Yes, jerks are jerks regardless of age, sex, race, national origin, education, profession, political identity, geographic location, sexual orientation, social or economic status. Even some people who own and/or fly airplanes are jerks . . .

jerks are jerks. i likely would've said something to the conductor or moved to a different car (if there was one).

Individuals are jerks, it's a part of human condition. Different cultures have different values and those differences can create friction. What might not be considered jerkish behavior within a culture can be considered jerkish behavior outside that culture.

Don't know which applies here, but in this instance I would have said something to her or asked to move somewhere more peaceful.

Was she in the quiet car? Do they have that concept on the line you were traveling?

The few train trips I've done had no assigned seating (US and Europe) so if you don't like the sound, site, or smell of the people around you are free to change your surroundings.

Now if it was a plane... I'd be singing a different song.

The train was pretty full. I think somebody did complain because the conductor came over and spoke with her at length. Still, listening to her speak to her BF in loud Creole for over an hour did get old.

Prob should let it go, but it was annoying for sure.

Riding the trains in Chicago used to be super aggravating at times due to conduct of some obnoxious passengers. Some folks just don't care that their boorish behavior has a negative impact on others.

This is why Trump won.

You should have said something to her, they don't understand that they are a loud obnoxious ******* until they are told. They have no concept of their role in your train car community, everyone must do their part for the benefit of everyone else.

Seriously, she needs to be introduced to the concept of "an indoor voice." Could be an element of culture, but people need to be aware of the cultural norms in places where they're living or visiting.

I've tried to convince my wife that talking loudly into the phone does nothing to increase the intelligibility on the other side.

This is why Trump won.

You should have said something to her, they don't understand that they are a loud obnoxious ******* until they are told. They have no concept of their role in your train car community, everyone must do their part for the benefit of everyone else.

"They?"

This was one person. That says nothing about an entire culture.

The OP was not culturally insensitive. But you were.

I've certainly met my share of loud, obnoxious white Americans overseas, particularly in Germany, where it isn't acceptable. But I have yet to encounter a German who would generalize that to all Americans.

There is nothing at all wrong with a "please keep your voice down." That addresses the problem at hand, without becoming an oaf yourself.

But I have yet to encounter a German who would generalize that to all Americans.

Well you haven't looked very hard. The phrase "stupid American "is very commonly used in Germany.
I've never personally been offended by it as I have often seen what creates the sentiment.

Bose noise cancelling headphones plugged into my iPhone, listening to something from Audible. Ignore mode engaged!
This reminds me of a recent flight I took while seated next to two women on their way to a medical conference. They were not on phones, but they were using their OUTSIDE voices. They LOVED their jobs. Good for them, but they didn't need to let everyone seated around them know. The Bose noise-canceling earbuds didn't work to silence them...

"They?"

I've certainly met my share of loud, obnoxious white Americans overseas, particularly in Germany, where it isn't acceptable. But I have yet to encounter a German who would generalize that to all Americans.

There is nothing at all wrong with a "please keep your voice down." That addresses the problem at hand, without becoming an oaf yourself.
Settle down there nancy. The term "THEY" refers to all the ignorant load mouthed *******s that continually ruin other peoples time. You are implying a race element that I did not and then go on a rant about generalizing "Americans". Sounds to me like you are the one with a "race" problem. Maybe you need a time out in your safe space if you cannot handle the word "they".

"They?"

By the way, My ex-wife was a cajun from south of the I-10 which makes her a "coonass". So don't even think for a minute I am implying anything towards those wonderful people. I spent five and a half wonderful years working out of New Orleans and while living in Belle Chasse, La. I worked in the swamps from the gulf coast to north of Baton rouge, from Mexico to Florida and everywhere in between.

Settle down there nancy. The term "THEY" refers to all the ignorant load mouthed *******s that continually ruin other peoples time. You are implying a race element that I did not and then go on a rant about generalizing "Americans". Sounds to me like you are the one with a "race" problem. Maybe you need a time out in your safe space if you cannot handle the word "they".

Yeah, he made a huge leap in his interpretation of what you wrote but then that seems to be his forte. He know all, even what you mean when you didn't even say it.

By the way, My ex-wife was a cajun from south of the I-10 which makes her a "coonass". So don't even think for a minute I am implying anything towards those wonderful people. I spent five and a half wonderful years working out of New Orleans and while living in Belle Chasse, La. I worked in the swamps from the gulf coast to north of Baton rouge, from Mexico to Florida and everywhere in between.

As Bob Dylan said when he went electric to his fans po'd about it, "I don't believe you" ! :D
Nah I do man.

I've tried to convince my wife that talking loudly into the phone does nothing to increase the intelligibility on the other side.
Years ago, while working offshore I encountered a Frenchman who, when using the radio would scream at the top of his lungs. He obviously had grown up using the French
phone system as it was in those days. I remember trying (and failing) to make a call across Paris one time.

Dave

...The Bose noise-canceling earbuds didn't work to silence them...

Gotta use the head-clamp. Works good. Don't even notice the screaming children. Bonus is that I can actually hear the quiet scenes when watching movies on the iPad.

Yeah, he made a huge leap in his interpretation of what you wrote but then that seems to be his forte. He know all, even what you mean when you didn't even say it.
The irony is rich.

Well you haven't looked very hard. The phrase "stupid American "is very commonly used in Germany.
I've never personally been offended by it as I have often seen what creates the sentiment.
"The god damned Germans ain't got nothin to do with it"

I had a similar experi3nce today at the gym. I walk in to get my kettle bells and there is a loud music playing from a jawbone speaker and a woman standing their yelling on top of her lungs and instructing her daughter on how to do crunch or whatever the hell she was doing. Annoyed the heck out of me. Get a damn ear piece for the love of Zeus

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This is the type of thread that drives people away from PoA. You're all acting like a bunch of ****heads . . .

What bothers me is that our culture seems to be getting more used to people using their phones on speakerphone all the time, or watching movies and listening to music without headphones. I used to think this was a young person thing, but I'm seeing it more and more across all ages these days.

Put some ****ing earbuds in! I don't want to listen to your stupid cat videos.

"They?"

Dang, did you read this before posting it?

This is why Trump won.

That.

Yeah, I would have loved watching you try to reason with her.

Yeah, I would have loved watching you try to reason with her.
Why try to reason with an unreasonable person? Just tell them what the issue is and end it before they assume it is a conversation.

I almost always have my Etymotic HF-5's on me, stuff them in, plug into the phone, and cue up some music.......ah!

Why try to reason with an unreasonable person? Just tell them what the issue is and end it before they assume it is a conversation.

And that.

It's like correcting a dog

Back