Datz one big R/C plane, eh boss?

Wouldn't that honor go to the Predator or the Global Surveyor? They're pretty big.

Still, that was a cool find. Good post.

Wouldn't that honor go to the Predator or the Global Surveyor? They're pretty big.

Still, that was a cool find. Good post.

While that's an RC plane, I think the qualifyer is being a model, but I could be wrong.

I tell you what, that N29 is freaking awesome, but those engines sound horrible.

While that's an RC plane, I think the qualifyer is being a model, but I could be wrong.

I tell you what, that N29 is freaking awesome, but those engines sound horrible.

obviously 2 strokers .. chain saw, weed eater?

Last edited:
Travel Channel did a special on a model Pits that was about that size, but so powerful that the guy did a sustained prop stand and actually hovered it over to himself before adding some extra power to fly out of it. If only I had that kind of extra cash...

Weird. We have a 1/5 B-29 in Iowa, so I don't think it's that impressive. Not sure it's flown since 1993, but I know the guys who built and flew it. I'm pretty sure I know where it's "hangared". I wonder what max gross is. I could cut out a hole in the fuse, put in a seat, and glue an R/C transmitter to the instrument panel for controls. The four engines would make for much safer flying than my 140, I'd think.

That Pitts is AWESOME. Man, that must take some powerful servos.
I think if you're going take on a project as big as that - making it 90% scale and remote controlled - why not just make a full scale Christen Eagle and fly in it? :dunno: It's gotta be roughly the same amount of effort required, other than the more instruments and the FAA approval part.

That may be the largest R/C MODEL, but I think the largest R/C AIRPLANE belongs to a Boeing 707 that they used for crash testing in the desert. Unfortunately I don't have a link to any footage.

I've always wanted to see that video played on a comercial flight...I don't think it would matter how many times the captain says "but that test helped make this plane safer," it probably wouldn't go over too well. :no:

when i was in high school i had a fair amount of disposable income and dabbled in RC. got ahold of some old RC modeling magazines from the 90's and i remember an article about the scale movement. it was basically a plead to the community to chill out a little bit, as they were starting to build quarter scale models etc. that literally were big enough for a person to fit into, and were worried about the FAA getting interested in it, as there is no real definition between a RC model and an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle.

I've always wanted to see that video played on a commercial flight...I don't think it would matter how many times the captain says "but that test helped make this plane safer," it probably wouldn't go over too well. :no:
I'm gonna have to have some of those videos on my laptop to play next time I'm on a commercial flight. :D

I've always wanted to see that video played on a comercial flight...I don't think it would matter how many times the captain says "but that test helped make this plane safer," it probably wouldn't go over too well. :no:
One similar to it was played in the movie "Airplane". Funny scene...

Awesome (as long as you don't listen to the lawnmower engines). My dad woulda liked it. He was on B29 crew in WWII.

AFAIK, that was supposed to be a test of a fuel additive that would retard the fuel from burning on impact. There were cutter towers on the ground to slice open each wing's fuel tank. Obviously, the additive worked real well. :no:

AFAIK, that was supposed to be a test of a fuel additive that would retard the fuel from burning on impact. There were cutter towers on the ground to slice open each wing's fuel tank. Obviously, the additive worked real well. :no:
The additive DID work well. The plane landed and crabed to the left and one of the slicers hit an area of fuel that was post additive. It is that fuel that caught fire as it should have.

Awesome (as long as you don't listen to the lawnmower engines). My dad woulda liked it. He was on B29 crew in WWII.

Same here. Mine was in the first group (468th) that was initially based in India and eventually on Tinian. Which bomb group was your dad in?

Back