Cirrus SR22 2017 here are the REAL changes.

this thread is useless....without pitchers....:confused:

I'll drink to that! :cheers:

th

I spoke to a Pilot yesterday that is VERY tech illiterate, (Has a flip phone and is fearful of computers) Went on and on about how Cirrus pilots are spinning airplanes into the ground. I personally love technology and even if you don't embrace it, it's in all aspects of our lives now and it's not going to change anytime soon. The Garmin G1000 has aircraft avoidance technology and synthetic vision that everyone should want in their plane. See and avoid should be first and foremost but you can't see everything. Technology is good but it should be used as an aid NOT a crutch!

Cirrus is a great plane, but I rarely see the ones at my airport actually do anything other than look good on the ramp.

I walked by a SR 22 GTS worth about 750K on the way in from the ramp, just sitting there, looking pretty in the hangar.

Then I see the ones for sale with less than 100 hours on them because some guy who had nothing better to spend money on bought it, took it for a few long flights and got bored of the custom leather seats, etc etc..

Hope you get a lot of usage out of your new toy @tuwood , don't let it be a ramp queen, get it out there and show it off :).

Cirrus is a great plane, but I rarely see the ones at my airport actually do anything other than look good on the ramp.

I walked by a SR 22 GTS worth about 750K on the way in from the ramp, just sitting there, looking pretty in the hangar.

Then I see the ones for sale with less than 100 hours on them because some guy who had nothing better to spend money on bought it, took it for a few long flights and got bored of the custom leather seats, etc etc..

Don't you give them any ideas! We NEED those people! Along with the upgrade addicts who change their Cirrus for the new model whenever the lease on their BMW comes up.

Hope you get a lot of usage out of your new toy @tuwood , don't let it be a ramp queen, get it out there and show it off :).

I've never seen a plane on the ramp do anything other than sit. They're inanimate objects

I spoke to a Pilot yesterday that is VERY tech illiterate, (Has a flip phone and is fearful of computers) Went on and on about how Cirrus pilots are spinning airplanes into the ground. I personally love technology and even if you don't embrace it, it's in all aspects of our lives now and it's not going to change anytime soon. The Garmin G1000 has aircraft avoidance technology and synthetic vision that everyone should want in their plane. See and avoid should be first and foremost but you can't see everything. Technology is good but it should be used as an aid NOT a crutch!

With all due respect to that pilot I think technology is the last reason people are "spinning them in". People spin in all makes of planes and Cirrus is not immune to it unfortunately. The only way you spin it in is if you get slow and are uncoordinated. A six pack with an analog airspeed indicator with a ball or a speed tape with a "digital ball" both do the exact same thing. If you can't keep your airspeed up and stay coordinated in one plane you can't do it in another, IMHO.
The misnomer that people are getting distracted by bells and whistles and it's resulting in spinning just seems silly to me. When you're in the pattern you're looking out the windows and watching airspeed and the ball no matter what plane you're flying. I'm not even sure what I could be looking at to be distracted in that situation personally.

As for technology helping, there are some very common accidents that continue at the same levels as they always have that are virtually non-existent in Perspective Cirrus with synthetic vision. You just don't see CFIT's anymore with them. That's not an accident, that's reality.
With the newer planes that have yaw dampers to aid in coordination and envelope protection (stick pusher, etc) they're just getting safer and safer.

I wish I could find it now, but there was a report I saw last year which showed Cirrus was the most flown cross country machine out there because of the utility and speed. They're most certainly not hangar queens.
Obviously there are individuals who don't fly them for whatever reason and people that want to sell them, but it's a bit unfair to categorize an entire fleet based on subjective observations.

With my partner and I were anticipating around 400 hours a year. :)

With all due respect to that pilot I think technology is the last reason people are "spinning them in". People spin in all makes of planes and Cirrus is not immune to it unfortunately. The only way you spin it in is if you get slow and are uncoordinated. A six pack with an analog airspeed indicator with a ball or a speed tape with a "digital ball" both do the exact same thing. If you can't keep your airspeed up and stay coordinated in one plane you can't do it in another, IMHO.
The misnomer that people are getting distracted by bells and whistles and it's resulting in spinning just seems silly to me. When you're in the pattern you're looking out the windows and watching airspeed and the ball no matter what plane you're flying. I'm not even sure what I could be looking at to be distracted in that situation personally.

As for technology helping, there are some very common accidents that continue at the same levels as they always have that are virtually non-existent in Perspective Cirrus with synthetic vision. You just don't see CFIT's anymore with them. That's not an accident, that's reality.
With the newer planes that have yaw dampers to aid in coordination and envelope protection (stick pusher, etc) they're just getting safer and safer.

From my limited understanding of Cirri, it seems that the controls don't seem to give the pilot a tactile sense of that slow and uncoordinated feeling that you get in other planes when the controls get mushy. That could be a knock against the aircraft design itself... but blaming the glass for getting slow and out of whack is ludicrous.

From my limited understanding of Cirri, it seems that the controls don't seem to give the pilot a tactile sense of that slow and uncoordinated feeling that you get in other planes when the controls get mushy. That could be a knock against the aircraft design itself... but blaming the glass for getting slow and out of whack is ludicrous.

There has been a lot of discussion on COPA about the "feel" when slow and the auto centering controls on the cirrus do have a small amount of tension at a full stall where a Cessna may be completely free due to interrupted airflow. However, the verdict that most pilots with far more experience than I have come to is that it has zero relevance due to spin/stalls in the pattern being accelerated uncoordinated stalls. Meaning, before you even realize you're stalled the plane has already flipped upside down. You won't even have time for a stall warning to register, let alone mushy controls to alert you.

Hey I almost did the same lighting setup on the RV-10. Aveo Ziptips and an Aerosport cowl light... however I'm putting in Ram Air so can't do the cowl light. Neat plane anyhow, I dig the Avionics being a big Garmin Fanboi.

Is it just me, or did anybody else wonder how they got Cajun_Flyer to be the spokesperson for the video...?

@tuwood - ok, we now know your a copa can. Put your write-up there with pictures and ignored us here. That's ok. We know where to find you

Misnomer is not the right word - it means something else - but distractions in the cockpit can and do draw attention away from basic flying skills. And a Cirrus has its fair share of distractions.

Your describing what a rested and current and skilled pilot should be able to do. Out there in the real world, not every pilot meets those standards. Focusing and avoiding distractions is a skill in and of itself.

lol, well the people over there actually like Cirrus planes. :) (I kid)

Because they're all brainwashed gadget freaks with more money than sense who wouldn't know real piloting if it bludgeoned them over the head lol

I wish I could find it now, but there was a report I saw last year which showed Cirrus was the most flown cross country machine out there because of the utility and speed. They're most certainly not hangar queens.
Obviously there are individuals who don't fly them for whatever reason and people that want to sell them, but it's a bit unfair to categorize an entire fleet based on subjective observations.

With my partner and I were anticipating around 400 hours a year. :)

Excellent! 8 hours a week is a lot of flying (to me anyway), are you using it for work then?

Excellent! 8 hours a week is a lot of flying (to me anyway), are you using it for work then?

Both work and personal. Kids are of to college so wife and I will be doing a lot more traveling

What exactly is 'the aviation experience' since you are so much smarter than the rest of us?

Not gonna get caught up in this.

But I do sense in some of the pro/anti Cirrus/Bo/Mooney/Piper/Cessna/etc debates over time on this forum an occasional underlying theme. Probably the best illustration of what I mean is Cajun Flyer's "Over the Clouds" thread. The OP pics on that thread were shot from a Cirrus. But one doesn't need a Cirrus (or a Bo, or a Mooney, or a...) to experience what others have captured on that thread, and what I believe may be best described in her post #16 on that same thread.

We are incredibly fortunate to experience what so very few others on our planet are able to, regardless of whether our planes are made of plastic, aluminum, fabric over steel, big engine(s) or small, 'chute, glass panels or not.

Back