Uber Users-What say you?

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
Use Uber fairly often, never had a bad ride. Satisfied customer.

Uber app for Iphone. Uber has treated me well in many cities across the country. Much better than Taxi's. No complaints. Never tried Lyft

I'm a big fan of Uber, it's been very useful to me. This news smacks of the "I'm moving to Canada" and other useless hysteria. I didn't see any of these idiots protesting when Obama banned dual citizens of, and even visitors to, these countries from the visa waiver program a year or so back, so as far as I'm concerned it's all just luvvies jumping on the latest bandwagon.

Uber is displacing taxi drivers,but left is being supported by the left go figure.

My uncle Uber is talking to lawyers about the unauthorized use of his name....

And still waiting for Cher to move to Jupiter. Maybe a GoFundMe page would help.....

Here in Austin Uber and Lyft were run out of town. We now have five or six ride sharing companies to choose from. I use 'Ride Austin' because they pay their drivers more than than the others (and WAY more than Uber) and have in-app tipping. The overall price is about the same as Uber because Ride Austin takes a much smaller commission.

Consistently I get nice cars with drivers who know the city and speak fluent English.

When out of town I use Lyft over Uber, because Lyft with in-app tipping doesn't have to scrap the bottom of the driver barrel quite so hard.

I've always liked Lyft better. But it is a lot smaller and often not available. A lot of time in smaller places the drivers drive for both at the same time. Otherwise I they are both fine.

Never used lyft but I have used UBER all of the country with good luck. Even did a short stint driving uber.... that's a different thread!

I used Uber for the first time recently. Actually it was Kim, who I'm sure people remember, who ordered it, but I saw how it worked and would not hesitate to use it myself.

Never used lyft but I have used UBER all of the country with good luck. Even did a short stint driving uber.... that's a different thread!

Ditto. I always fanticized about driving a taxi but about 25 trips driving for Uber cured me of that. That said, I use Uber all of the time and my $2 cash tip has resulted in a passenger eating that has never dropped below 5.0. I never realized how crappy Uber drivers got paid until I tried it.

I just wish there was an app (or a feature of Uber) to connect the local taxis or drivers in small towns to me when I fly into podunk airports far away from today's Uber coverage.

Who ever can get the job done, when I get a cab I'm not thinking about the poor immigrants of BFE, I just need a ride, take my money and do your job, don't care one bit about your color, religion, or anything else, don't even really want to know, it's business

I've always liked Lyft better. But it is a lot smaller and often not available. A lot of time in smaller places the drivers drive for both at the same time. Otherwise I they are both fine.

I guess is does depend on the size of the area. I needed to get an Uber ride today after dropping the pickup off for some service. The guy I rode with is a member of both Uber and Lyft, and he says he gets lots of calls for Uber, virtually none for Lyft. He says he's likely doing to delete the Lyft app and stop being a driver for them.

Used Uber a number of times but not Lyft yet. I got an email from Lyft today expressing great umbrage about Pres Trump's recent immigration orders and saying they were donating $1000000 to the ACLU to fight it and other things. Cured me of a desire to use Lyft. Don't really care who they support but really don't care to get political spam over a taxi ride:D.

Cheers

Who ever can get the job done, when I get a cab I'm not thinking about the poor immigrants of BFE, I just need a ride, take my money and do your job, don't care one bit about your color, religion, or anything else, don't even really want to know, it's business
In the past year, I have had about 20 wonderful rides in new cars with Uber. The drivers were all pleasant and they arrive when they say they will, usually within a few minutes.
In the same period I have had 3 cab rides and they were all awful. The cabs stunk and the drivers were worse. I would have had 5 cab rides, but two of them never showed up and the ones that did show up took upwards of half an hour every time.

Depends a lot on the locale. Around here I've not had good luck with Lyft. I've got a buddy that uses uber, lyft, and something else. Her can tell you which will have the best price based on distance, time of day, and surge pricing.

I have a slight preference for Lyft when it's available, Uber when it's not. They're both incredible improvements over taxis. I'll only use a taxi when I have no other option.

I've used Uber twice. It worked well. The taxis can strike all they want. I never liked taking them to begin with.

I have Ubered for the first time last week, last day I was in the States. I thought it was great. I had a car in under five minutes, jumped in, jumped out, no hassle for payment, electronic receipt for expenses, and well under half the cost of a cab. Probably more like a third. They even have Uber over here although I haven't tried it yet. I don't have a local smart phone to use so I would either have to make my arrangement in a wifi environment or eat data roaming, which in itself can be costly.

IMG_0301_zpsmcwpxuba.jpg

It is only a matter of time before they are considered "taxi service". I still cannot fathom how both those companies can say they are not a taxi service? But oh well, never used them and hopefully never will. Anywhere I travel I have a rental car or personal vehicle.

In the last couple of weeks my list of companies to boycott has grown substantially! It never ceases to amaze me that these large corporations will drop a spokesperson in a heartbeat because they get caught with a bag of weed or said something they deemed unworthy but turn around and the ceo is on the front page telling half of America they are scum for their political views or how they voted! There are plenty of other options out there that don't have to tell me how to live and I will happily spend my money with them.

I've used Uber in all of our major cities and all over Europe. I'm thankful that it exisits.

I don't like that they pinch drivers - but the ride experience has been 90%+ positive... whereas taxi rides are probably ~40% positive.

I'm a big fan of Uber, it's been very useful to me. This news smacks of the "I'm moving to Canada" and other useless hysteria. I didn't see any of these idiots protesting when Obama banned dual citizens of, and even visitors to, these countries from the visa waiver program a year or so back, so as far as I'm concerned it's all just luvvies jumping on the latest bandwagon.
Come on, you think there's some kind of double standard?

I used Uber for the first time recently. Actually it was Kim, who I'm sure people remember, who ordered it, but I saw how it worked and would not hesitate to use it myself.
Kim Chee?

My uncle Uber is talking to lawyers about the unauthorized use of his name....

And still waiting for Cher to move to Jupiter. Maybe a GoFundMe page would help.....
Hey, in Germany is the service called Uber Alles?

Last edited:
2000: "Don't get in strangers' cars, and don't meet people from the internet"
2015: "Literally summon strangers from the internet in order to get in their cars"

:lol::lol::lol:

I used Uber a lot when my grandson was born. I flew up there and didn't want to rent a car because with my cataract I am not comfortable driving an unfamiliar car around unfamiliar cities. The kids (parents- ha ha!) were real busy, the baby was in NICU for a few days, and so I used Uber to get around and to go get food to bring them. It was great.

I'm not going to start a political debate but there was this one black driver who was an immigrant from Somalia. He was very pro Trump, he said America needed to get back to supporting small businesses and entrepreneurs. He greatly feared a Hillary administration. A lot of the Uber drivers seemed to be like that, at least the ones I got that week.

Never used Lyft so I can't compare.

Mostly uber for me. Every time I've needed a ride to the closest cigar bar with a good scotch selection the uber driver has been able to help. Keeps my business.

I have used Uber all over, been very pleased with it overall. Only real disappointments were (1) when I checked about Uber availability at a semi-rural airport to which we were flying, before we departed. Turns out that the app shows cars running all over when they're not really there, if you're not there too; and (2) the Uber guy in San Antonio who accepted my ride request to be picked up at the FBO, called and asked, "Where are you? I'm at the terminal." When I told him I was at the FBO (which in turn is right at the street address I gave), he hung up and canceled the ride. Handy. His successor Uber driver came right away, and got a good tip.

It's laughable that people claim Uber underpays - in most metro areas, the cabs are all owned by large fleets who lease the cabs to drivers for 24-hour chunks, and they have to drive 18-24 hours to cover the lease and make a few bucks. If the cab drive stinks a little, it's probably because he or she has had to drive all night to make a buck. With Uber, each ride is profitable (if modestly so).

Have not tried Lyft yet, have spoken to drivers who drive for both, and the market seems to be favoring Uber.

On the political side...the #DeleteUber storyline is utter BS. All they did is not gouge passengers when cabbies went on strike and demand of riders outpaced supply of drivers which will automatically kick in their surge pricing algorithms.

I absolutely love Uber and use it all the time especially when flying somewhere on a XC trip.

Heck, just today I had to drop off my plane at another airport about 45 min from my house to get some avionics work done. Rather than ask a friend or find someone that could kill a few hours of their day to help shuttle me on a weekday I just flew it over and Ubered home...$52.00. Would have had to kick in gas money, buy lunch and cash in on a favor from someone as well as try and coordinate a schedule. Was a well spent $52.00 and I was 100% on my own schedule!

Denver DIA to my house just north of Centennial KAPA in a taxi...over $60. Neighbor drives for Uber and quoted me $25 when I asked out of curiosity. BTW, DIA has a separate parking areas for cabs and different one for uber and lyft.

Uber for me. I rode Lyft once, and the driver had a big box on his dash labeled TIPS. On his back seat he had all kinds of stuff for sale: snacks, tissues, etc. Overall, I felt like I was getting hustled by riding Lyft.

I've tried Uber many places, including Lyon France, where a particularly good driver named Mohammed picked me up. He was a native of Spain, was living in France, and he spoke good English which was a good thing because his Uber app was somehow stuck in English so that he was unable to switch it to Spanish or French. Mohammed in Lyon was much better than the last Uber driver I had in Iowa, a country boy who drove a Ford F-350 Super Duty diesel behemoth that hadn't been cleaned in ages.

Never used it, but I've called maybe 2 or 3 cabs in the past decade. For the price of a couple cab rides it's usually cheaper to just rent a car from my experience. Also most of the places I roam in are too small to support it.

I never participate in political boycotts though. If I had to boycott every business that was somehow connected to something I disagree with I wouldn't be able to obtain goods and services at all I think.

the last Uber driver I had in Iowa, a country boy who drove a Ford F-350 Super Duty diesel behemoth that hadn't been cleaned in ages.

Most Uber rides I've gotten have been in Honda Civics, Accords, Altamas, etc., IOW, cars that get decent mileage. Yesterday after dropping the pickup off for service the Uber guy picked me up in an F-150 Supercrew, and it was an Uber-x, so lowest tier pricing. I don't know how guys driving giant trucks can justify driving for Uber, but I guess they make it work.

Used Uber a number of times but not Lyft yet. I got an email from Lyft today expressing great umbrage about Pres Trump's recent immigration orders and saying they were donating $1000000 to the ACLU to fight it and other things. Cured me of a desire to use Lyft. Don't really care who they support but really don't care to get political spam over a taxi ride:D.

Cheers
I have used both, and found them about equal...but I now will only use Uber.

I used Uber for the first time last year. My wife thought I was a psycho for letting someone else that we didn't know drive us @Katamarino she is very much the "2000" person :).

Was very uneventful, guy had a decent car.

I thought about driving for them at night to pickup some extra cash and then I saw Lyft and said hey, maybe that'll be better. Once I saw the stupid purple mustache I said "nope, never", I have my limits.

Back