Should I buy Apple?

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I had purchased Apple about 5 years ago. I earned about 25%, but if I had kept it in there, I would have probably quadrupled my money. Financial gurus, should I buy Apple? (This is airplane related, becuase I want a Seneca, and will require money for that.)

I like their MP3 players!! ;)

But when it comes to stocks I tend to buy families via mutual funds. To tie my future to just one company is a little scary unless I am going to be closely monitoring that company. Frankly I don't have the time for that and prefer to stay diversified in multiple sectors.

I still predict the iPhone will become THE phone and as go as well as the iPod. The iPod sales took a short while to go ballistic. The iPhone will do the same. The iPhone is still at release 1.0. Wait'll we see what Apple has up their sleeves, with iPhone and the Mac.

I'd buy stock if i wasn't squeezed for cash at the mo.

I think the stock is likely overpriced, but then so is Google always and for some reason the stock doesn't listen and keeps going up in price. ;)

I still predict the iPhone will become THE phone and as go as well as the iPod. The iPod sales took a short while to go ballistic. The iPhone will do the same. The iPhone is still at release 1.0. Wait'll we see what Apple has up their sleeves, with iPhone and the Mac.

I'd buy stock if i wasn't squeezed for cash at the mo.

I think the stock is likely overpriced, but then so is Google always and for some reason the stock doesn't listen and keeps going up in price. ;)
Ah but the carriers don't want you to just be able to hook up devices to their networks. They will be the ones to prevent the iPhone form being successful. Keep in mind the cellular business the end user is not the customer of phones. The carriers are the customers and phones are designed to their needs not yours. Until that model changes I doubt iPhone will be very successful.

I wish someone would buy apple and close the doors some day.

Until then, no, do not buy Apple. They are starting to make the mistakes I predicted about 5 years ago. See the iPhone mistakes? Watch, Apple's on their way out, unless they can find another iPod to save their life.

I can think of two other companies that are better buys at the moment. But if I told you, I'd have to kill you.

Ah but the carriers don't want you to just be able to hook up devices to their networks. They will be the ones to prevent the iPhone form being successful. Keep in mind the cellular business the end user is not the customer of phones. The carriers are the customers and phones are designed to their needs not yours. Until that model changes I doubt iPhone will be very successful.

1) ATT's exclusivity ends in 2009 I believe. Considering the success Apple has already seen with the iPhone, unless something drastic happens, I could see them releasing a CDMA iPhone for Verizon/Sprint/etc.

2) Apple has expressed interest in the frequency bands opening up in the upcoming years that OTA analog broadcasts have been on. Both Apple and Google have been eying the spectrum, quite possibly to roll out some large scale wireless solutions. This could very well include an iPhone w/ VOIP capability on a nationwide Apple network.

1) ATT's exclusivity ends in 2009 I believe. Considering the success Apple has already seen with the iPhone, unless something drastic happens, I could see them releasing a CDMA iPhone for Verizon/Sprint/etc.
That is a long time form now in cellar world. The IPone will be old news by then. Shoot it will be old news this holiday season.

2) Apple has expressed interest in the frequency bands opening up in the upcoming years that OTA analog broadcasts have been on. Both Apple and Google have been eying the spectrum, quite possibly to roll out some large scale wireless solutions. This could very well include an iPhone w/ VOIP capability on a nationwide Apple network.
You named about 2 out 50 companies that are looking at that spectrum. There will be a lot of posturing for it. Plus the one of the nationwide licenses also requires the carrier to provide public safety access. Most of the carriers have been walking away from that aspect of the license deal and instead are going for lots of the smaller MTA and BTA licenses and linking together coverage. Which will just about guarantee no national coverage. Even if someone were to go for the national piece of that band they would not have capex to deploy the nationwide network in time before the spectrum is allowed to be picked up by others. See this whole spectrum deal for 700MHz requires a build out in a very short period of time. Most of the people interested in this band are looking to new technologies that will just be launching in 2010.

I would not hold my breath on Apple being able to capitalize on any of that by buying their stock now. It is much more likely that there will be a huge round of mergers in the 2010 and beyond time frame.

Jeez, who took a whiz in your Cheerios?

Until then, no, do not buy Apple. They are starting to make the mistakes I predicted about 5 years ago. See the iPhone mistakes? Watch, Apple's on their way out, unless they can find another iPod to save their life.

Apple's on the way out? That's what people were saying 5 years ago when the stock was languishing around $7/share and the company was left for dead. Sour grapes notwithstanding, Apple does have a history of effing it up about once a decade or so. Will that be the iPhone? I doubt it.

That said, I prefer stocks that are more reasonably valued.

-Rich

Companies such as Apple have too much established history. Sure they dive now and then but show me a company in any industry that doesn't. Technology companies do bounce back... unless they build only CRTs. I prefer to play with small cap mutual funds but do so within the safety of my IRAs. I dive in when it's down while the great unwashed laugh without understanding.

I'm tempted to do something in stock securities when opportunity presents but it has yet to work for me. I had a chance with Google but listened to the "experts." Now it's so over-bloated, it can only go down. It's doing great now but I see another Yahoo at some time in the future.

If only I could get brave enough to play the pennies in the final days of a company's bankruptcy. :)

You working the night shift Nick? Otherwise you need to lay off during the day. :rolleyes:

Drift: I just remembered that one of Dvorak's troll articles a year or so back predicted that Apple would have to convert to running Macs on Windows because there aren't enough drivers for OS X. Now that he said he loves his iMac somebody needs to ask him how many drivers he needs that he can't get. For that matter, when did he ever have to install a driver on his iMac? You know how we hear lots of stories about people not being able to get DVD burners working on Macs. :no:

Of course, once Apple switched to Intel and it became possible to run Windows on Macs, Dvorak claims he predicted that. That wasn't what he predicted.

I'm no guru, but I'd tread lightly at most. I had some success ("virtual" trading... I work in technology for an online brokerage and need to get more intimate with the business and I'm not about to risk real $$$) buying some AAPL calls earlier this month. Made a pretty little penny on the hype surrounding the rumors of the new iPods. But I got in, made a quick ~25%, and got out in a hurry -- and I'm glad I did as it took a dive a day or two later when the announcement was actually made.

And I think that's pretty demonstrative of my issue with AAPL: There's a ton of hype built into the price, much as there's a ton of hype built into everything Apple. It's up near its high, and I don't think it'd be tolerant of anything even resembling disappointing news. That said, they've had pretty solid financials, and the iPhone has been selling pretty well. But I personally expect those sales to level off, at least until it's not limited to AT&T: I have the feeling that most of the folks who really wanted an iPhone and wanted it enough to switch providers have probably already done so... I just don't believe that there are that many more people out there who'd be willing to pony up the cash for the iPod itself and pay what could be a couple hundo to terminate their current contracts.

At the same time, there are plenty of those folks out there who worship at the Altar of Steve, and will run out and buy every brand new product Apple releases the minute it becomes available. So I think there's pretty good reason to believe they'll continue to see decent revenue.

Sum it up: Caveat emptor. I'm not personally planning on getting into it again (with real or pretend $$$), and even if it hits $200 (which I highly doubt), I won't feel bad about staying on the sideline.

Apple is MY bird, and he is not for sale. Not for any price.

Oh...you mean the computer stuff.

never mind. (But I love my Apple computers too.)

"Buy on bad news, sell on good news." Who was that? Warren Buffet, I think?

I was waiting for the dip on "bad news." There were a few recently. There were drops of a few bucks when it was claimed that few of the iPhones were getting activated. More when Apple had the price drop and $100 credit.

I have some long term stocks with very few bucks involved. I might add some APPL on the day of the next dip on bad or good news.

Jeez, who took a whiz in your Cheerios?

Apple's on the way out? That's what people were saying 5 years ago when the stock was languishing around $7/share and the company was left for dead. Sour grapes notwithstanding, Apple does have a history of effing it up about once a decade or so. Will that be the iPhone? I doubt it.

That said, I prefer stocks that are more reasonably valued.

-Rich

You working the night shift Nick? Otherwise you need to lay off during the day. :rolleyes:

Drift: I just remembered that one of Dvorak's troll articles a year or so back predicted that Apple would have to convert to running Macs on Windows because there aren't enough drivers for OS X. Now that he said he loves his iMac somebody needs to ask him how many drivers he needs that he can't get. For that matter, when did he ever have to install a driver on his iMac? You know how we hear lots of stories about people not being able to get DVD burners working on Macs. :no:

Of course, once Apple switched to Intel and it became possible to run Windows on Macs, Dvorak claims he predicted that. That wasn't what he predicted.

Y'all take my comments too seriously, I enjoy the competition from Apple with the PC market, because it only stands to make both better systems.

That said, I've been saying for years that there were 3 mistakes Apple would make.
1) When news started leaking about the switch to Intel, I said that it would be a mistake since the one advantage Macs really had over PCs was stability against crashes.
2) The iPod will not carry the company forever, and one day, Apple would start to make computers based on the iPod, or iPods based on Macs, and it would wind up being a gigantic mistake as the reason the iPod works is because it is not a computer, and it is a separate tool for a separate market.
3) They will succumb to their own fanboys wrath when they start to make marketing decisions that would alienate their fanbase. They will be faced with a choice: Appeal to their base, or appeal to others, thereby losing their base.

I also made a prediction that Apple would come out with a PDA that would actually compete with the Palm Pilots that were popular at the time. I was wrong about that, but the iPhone is a pretty close estimate.

Apple is following a very predictable path, and that path is headed right towards IBMdom, where everyone knows the name, but few actually use the product. I firmly believe that IBM is not far from doom, and Apple will follow suit right behind it.

And now, my prediction for the future of Apple: Within the next decade, Apple will start to sell high end business machines like copiers, faxes, phone systems, etc. There will be an Apple certification process like there is for Cisco, and it will be just as much a joke as the Cisco certification is/was. At first, it will take off like crazy, but with the nextgen iPhones, iPods, iFax and iCopy, iPBX, iMac, iLaser, iNuclearWarhead, and iPlane, Apple will slowly start to slide out of control as too large a company.

But in the next few years, watch for the high end business machine market out of Apple. Its coming.

Heh... It's been more than 5 years since they were really in the crapper. More like 10. 1997 was the Second Coming of Steve, and 1998 was when the iMac was originally introduced.

On a mailing list I was on, someone's sig line was: "I bought my Apple stock at $18/share. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?" :rofl:

Having been an Apple follower for a long time and being used to their old cyclic nature, I've been too hesitant to actually buy Apple stock. But, for just about every quarter in the last 5 years, I've thought about it at least once and then I think "Naah, it's too high, they've gotta have some bad results here soon..." Then, every time, it just keeps going up. I expect it will as long as Steve is around, as long as he doesn't royally F up, which he is quite capable of if he gets mad at someone.

Back