First thoughts: Oshkosh 2017

We made it through 2 big storms and several inches of rain last year with my normal setup. The tarps serve two purposes. 1. Keep all the rain off the tents. 2. With the silver side out, keeps the morning and afternoon sun off the tents helping them to stay cooler inside.

Almost everybody around us last year had wet sleeping bags and wet clothes after the big rain Saturday night, while we stayed dry as a bone.

I am absolutely jealous of the high wings at Oshkosh. May you have continued good fortune with that tent. I may look you up and beg for an hour of shade some hot year. :)

Is camping an option with a cabin-class twin? Roughly 41' wingspan, and would weigh around 6000 lbs after getting fueled up. I'm sure I could get to the spot, but not sure if I could get OUT of the spot without blowing over every tent for a hundred yards behind me.

Is camping an option with a cabin-class twin? Roughly 41' wingspan, and would weigh around 6000 lbs after getting fueled up. I'm sure I could get to the spot, but not sure if I could get OUT of the spot without blowing over every tent for a hundred yards behind me.
They usually park twin campers in the South 40 area, for reasons that are unclear to me.

That said, we've seen King Airs camping in the North 40. Just make sure you park on 3/4" plywood boards, (BYO), and you'll have no trouble getting out.

They usually park twin campers in the South 40 area, for reasons that are unclear to me.

That said, we've seen King Airs camping in the North 40. Just make sure you park on 3/4" plywood boards, (BYO), and you'll have no trouble getting out.

They usually group light twins together in periodic "twin rows" in the campground. They do not tail airplanes in the twin rows, as they do with the singles. I always end up camping alongside other twin Pipers, Barons and Cessna 310s, etc.

However, if you plan to leave earlier in the week, before the campground starts to clear out, the EAA still prefers the airplane be pulled out and turned in the aisle before engine start. That might be an issue for a larger twin?

I saw a twin power its way out of the tie down essentially shredding the tents behind him. Guy was banging on the fuselage while he went full power. It was awful, pilot probably had full fuel and everyone on board e.g. max weight.

I'm not a big camper, but I had applied a fresh coat of liquid seam sealer and am glad I did. At night, I found a couple of beers and my earplugs were all I needed for an extremely comfortable night's sleep - we got lucky with the weather having cooled down and we were parked 100' or so from the showers. I'd never slept in a tent when it was raining but I found the storms were a really nice experience too (being tucked under the right wing, buddy was under the left).

Having an air mattress is super comfortable, as I appreciated a few weeks later when I went to reuse it and it leaked out on me so I ended up on the ground. Mattress, beer, ear plugs.

week, before the campground starts to clear out, the EAA still prefers the airplane be pulled out and turned in the aisle before engine start. That might be an issue for a larger twin?

It would definitely not be an option alone, though I suppose it wouldn't be that hard to find a couple of people to help pull.

It would definitely not be an option alone, though I suppose it wouldn't be that hard to find a couple of people to help pull.

FWIW, I think it's easier to push back into the row behind you rather than pull into the row in front of you. Much easier to get folks pushing back on the leading edge than to find an appropriate place to either pull forward or push from the back.

This was our camp site in HBC last year. Lisa is in "The Patio" which has only one wall and kept the ice chest and chairs shaded. To the right is "The Bedroom" Obviously Candy was the belle of the ball since it was the 30th anniversary of the RV-6.

We got lucky with the neighbors... two couples from 52F were just North of us. Competely by hapinstance. @SixPapaCharlie was a short walk North too. Good times. Already thinking of ways to optimize for 2017!
IMG_0564.JPG

Never any shortage of folks to help out. In fact usually the problem is the opposite at OSH.
You do have to be able to taxi on grass, and it's not runway quality smooth, but most airplanes other than the really big, high priced aluminum (TBMs) don't seem to have a problem.

FWIW, I think it's easier to push back into the row behind you rather than pull into the row in front of you. Much easier to get folks pushing back on the leading edge than to find an appropriate place to either pull forward or push from the back.

Oh, definitely. I had envisioned it as having to go forwards to get to an open aisle. Back is even easier.

Oh, definitely. I had envisioned it as having to go forwards to get to an open aisle. Back is even easier.

Yeah that's why the twins are usually in a row by themselves. Singles there's another row behind you and you can't go backward usually.

Be sure you check field conditions before you go. I have been to OSH many times and at times the ground has been soft and it is difficult to taxi. Taxiing is often stop and go and the ground has low points which bog the heavier airplanes down. You might consider not fueling at OSH or taking minimum fuel and stopping down road.

I saw a twin power its way out of the tie down essentially shredding the tents behind him. Guy was banging on the fuselage while he went full power. It was awful, pilot probably had full fuel and everyone on board e.g. max weight.

If this was OSH 2016, you may have observed my old man's big blue Eureka tent tumbling downwind. Thing got pulled up from all it's stakes and tiedowns. Worst part is, pop hates to go to the porta potties in the middle of the night, so he had a mostly full "Little John" from Sporty's in the tent. It did not survive the tumbling.

Back